Barnstormer for a 2-year old

Jenna319

DIS Veteran
Is this something that a 2 1/2 year old can go on? I know the height limit is 35in and my daughter should be pretty close to that by next month. Just looking for some feedback on how their little ones felt about the ride, were they really scared or most seemed to enjoy?

I'm going to suggest no.

I'm not sure why the height requirement for that is so low. To me it was a lot rougher ride than 7DMT.

My son went to MK when he was 3 (his birthday). He was just tall enough to go on the Mine Train (height requirement of 38"). It was a smooth ride and he was scared and excited at the same time (and very memorable). My wife was worried about him getting bumped around and felt like she needed to hold her arm across him to prevent him from going forward or flopping back too much during the ups and downs. (Kids just don't know what to expect and don't know how to hold bodies up to the forces).

Later that night we went on Barnstormer and we all found that ride to be a MUCH more "rough" roller coaster and he didn't like it. I was next to him and couldn't keep him from getting battered around during the drops and tight turns. He talks about not wanting to go on it next time (but does want to go on Seven Dwarves again). It wasn't that he was really scared .. it just jostled him too much.

So even though both are considered family coasters . .I wouldn't take someone under three on the Barnstormer (though I am sure plenty of people do). I think it would just be too rough.

It depends on the kid. If she is a rough and tumble kind of kid, then she will probably like it. If she is more of an indoor cat, then maybe not. We also found that when we smiled and said "that was fun", then it was fun. When we asked "are you ok", then things went bad.

I have a 2 1/2 year old son, and the Barnstormer (or the Goofy Roller Coaster, as we call it) is now his favorite ride - but it did take a little bit of effort to get him on it.

First, I would show her a YouTube video and make sure it's something she's interested in riding. We had to watch it several times so he got excited and knew what to expect.

Our biggest issue was making sure he knew and understood that he couldn't sit on my lap like other rides. We had to drill this in, but also explain that mommy or daddy would be sitting right next to him. He kept insisting he was going to sit on my lap (not allowed), so finally I sat down next to him and wrapped my arm around him to show him I could still hold on to him on the ride - but his tush had to be on the seat.

As others mentioned, it is a little rough, so I would recommend wrapping an arm around her for the whole ride. Also, make sure she understands that she needs to bump her head on the height measurement. A lot of kids shrink to not hit it, but they will actually use a piece of paper to try to slide under to make sure a kid is tall enough, if it is close.

And if you think she will ride it, get a FastPass+... less time in line to dwell on it.

My husband was actually upset when we got off the first time and said our son looked terrified the whole time. Then we asked him how he liked it, and the reply was "That was fun! Let's ride it again!"

I think there was fear of the unknown the first time, but he's been on it two more times since and now yells "Woo hoo!" throughout the whole ride.

My daughter loved it a few months shy of 3... but I felt like I needed to hold onto her around the turns.

My son was 2-1/2 when we went in 2013 and Barnstormer was his favorite ride. At the end of our last night we rode it over and over. He's a jump in feet first kind of kid, though. I'm not sure how my oldest would have fared at that age, he's more cautious. I agree that it depends on the kiddo.

My son was just shy of 3 when he first went on it and he loved it. My DH did wrap an arm around him to make sure that he wasn't tossed around too much though.

I can't imagine that my LO would have fared well at all when he was 2 1/2.

The understatement of this made me LOL. My ODD also did not do well on the Barnstormer at 2.5 - it was jerky and not nearly as smooth as 7DMT. When ODD went on 7DMT back in April (at 4.5), she didn't exactly "enjoy" it (the Memory Maker pictures are quite hilarious), but she refused to go on the "Goofy roller coaster" at all. Now, looking forward to our next trip in August, she is ready to ride Barnstormer as a "warmup" to 7DMT, but she's also had a fair bit of experience going on kiddie roller coasters at local carnivals etc. since then, so she's more familiar with the slightly jerky motions.

I was not comfortable taking my 2.5yr old on it even though he was tall enough. My guy is super thin (and tall) and I was afraid he would be able to slip our of the lap bar sitting next to me (or DH). If it had the individual lap bar, I probably would have done it.

My 2.5 year old just tried it in November. She pretty much terror screamed the whole ride. Had to carry her crying self all the way out the exit path. Then she wanted to ride it again later . So who knows with that age group lol!

I wouldn't risk it. What if she loves it and you have to ride it again?
My DGD rode it with her hands in the air the whole time shortly before she turned three. She rode 9 times, all in a row. Hop on-hop off! I didn't think we were ever going to get out of Toon Town.

I think it all depends on whether your child is into those types of rides or not. My sister was three when she rode it and was okay with it. The scary part is usually the nervousness before the ride:)

Totally depends on the kid and their experience with rides/coasters. Last year my 2.5 yr DD rode barnstormer, thunder mountain, splash mountain and 7dmt. She loved them all! Her favorite was thunder mountain, and asked to ride it over and over! She is tall for her age, but has a lot of experience on rides/coasters...and has no fear!! You know your kid best, make the best decision for them (and you!). Have a great trip!!

You know your child best - when DS was 2.5 (more like 2.75) he LOVED the barnstormer, we rode it over and over!

my kiddo loved the barnstormer when he was 2. in fact he may have been slightly under 2? i can't recall. he's exceptionally tall, so he's been on everything he's been tall enough for so far.

one thing i will say....i had to hold onto him very tightly. i did not feel confident that he would stay securely in his seat otherwise (we only rode that one time, despite how much he liked it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter