• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from Hotel Royal Plaza

nicdanh

DIS Veteran
My DH and I stayed at the Hotel Royal Plaza this past weekend. It was ok. We got a free upgrade from a wing room to the tower. The room was a really good size. The tub was GREAT. Room was clean. We ate breakfast at the Buffet which I though was REALLY terrible. The buses were not bad. The bus to DTD stopped at about 4 different hotels. You would be better off walking to DTD, you can get there faster than the bus. (10 min. walk) If the price was right I would consider staying there if we went back with our children, because the rooms are large enough to accommadate all of us.

Michelle

Thanks for your review! I love the photo of your kids all asleep, so funny. And I see you are from MA and I grew up in Duxbury (my Dad is still there!)! :goodvibes

Thanks! I get a lot of comments on that photo! It's about 2 years old, but I love it.

Thanks for posting I'll be there in October. It's funny because most people like this place, it seems only a small percentage do not...but everyone agrees the breakfast buffet is awful :laughing: :laughing: !!!

My sister and myself and one other are staying herefor a few nights in November. Love the photo on your page-reminds me of my kids-thats when they are the cutest. We are from Halifax Ma.

Glad to hear it was ok, we are staying there next easter and I have just read some awful reviews on trip advisor, so I was beginning to get worried. I think we will eat out for breakfast !!!:hippie: Just wondering did you ask for an upgrade or did you just get one. Cant decide if i should pay the extra to upgrade before we go as I would really like to have a view of Disney fireworks.pixiedust:

Glad to hear it was ok, we are staying there next easter and I have just read some awful reviews on trip advisor, so I was beginning to get worried. I think we will eat out for breakfast !!!:hippie: Just wondering did you ask for an upgrade or did you just get one. Cant decide if i should pay the extra to upgrade before we go as I would really like to have a view of Disney fireworks.pixiedust:

Hi, We did not ask for a upgrade. When we checked in they said that they had upgraded us to the tower. You are going at a busy time, so I am not sure if they will offer an upgrade, but you never know.

Good Luck!
Michelle

We were upgraded there too.
We had a deluxe tower room booked ($74 a night). We got a 9th floor room and I asked if we could be up higher. The man offered the top floor!!, but it faced away from Disney & DTD.. then he offered the 15th floor. It was a Premium Tower room which meant the same as the Deluxe except with a jacuzzi instead of the garden tub. It had a wonderful view! We could see wishes from the room.. and my dd loved the jacuzzi.

So I didn't ask for an upgrade... just asked for a higher room.

BTW.. didn't love the hotel. But for the price and location it couldn't be beat. We had a rental car so the busses weren't an issue. A family we met while we were there said they were a nightmare though (and she was paying like $140 a night?!!). We tried the buffet one morning..lol, rather eat at McDonalds!
We were only there 4 nights in between 2 incredible places, so we were happy. I would stay there again for that price, but not for the full stay of our vacation. I stay at places like this to save money to stay at nicer places for longer periods of time.

Hi, Thanks for that info, just wondering what it was you didn't like about the hotel ? as we have thought about changing but thought the location was really good.

Hi, Thanks for that info, just wondering what it was you didn't like about the hotel ? as we have thought about changing but thought the location was really good.

The only complaint I really have was the breakfast buffet and it really did not have the Disney feel to it. I thought the bus system was excellent. The drivers were very friendly and we rarely waited for a bus. The only thing was when we were picked up by the DTD bus we made about 4 stops at other hotels before getting to DTD. You could walk faster there than taking the bus. The Epcot bus went straight to Epcot with out any stops. The seats are comfy you can adjust your own A/C and if you have children that require strollers they throw then underneath the bus, so there is no lugging your stroller on the bus.

Michelle

I agree with the above poster, the breakfast was BAD. I didn't expect a disney feel since it's not a disney hotel, but I was surprised at the nice Disney store in the lobby.

The housekeeping was just ok. Fresh towels (needed more though), bed made. The room wasn't vaccumed every day (we had gone to goofy's candy fact. and had a couple of mini m&ms on the carpet by the window which stayed there from the first night until we checked out). The bathroom tile could have been cleaner, but I am picky with that.
I do tip every night, $1 per star, so $3 for this hotel.

The pool area was ok. Small, but nice pool, kept at a nice temperature. No slides or anything fun around the pool though. It was crowded with kids, mostly older kids and no supervision... No life guards. I stayed with my 9 yr old so the older kids would take it easy around her.

A silly thing, but it drove me crazy that there's not an ice machine on every floor! I can't remember which floor we had to go to, but I thought it was rediculas that we had to take the elevator to get some ice. And, they don't have an option to even rent a fridge.

No activities for kids.

This is a basic hotel. Nothing fancy... but it was clean and the right price.
It's not a resort to spend quality time in, but it's fine for a good place to sleep, close to Disney.

Several sites I saw lists refrigerators for an addition fee. Is this not the case?
I really like having that option.

Several sites I saw lists refrigerators for an addition fee. Is this not the case?
I really like having that option.

I was told at the front desk that they didn't have refrigerators.
Since we were only there 4 nights (and we left REALLY early for checkout.. couldn't wait to get on property) we didn't care that much.
If you saw they do have them.. maybe the desk clerk meant they had none available at the time? They were pretty full. Or maybe they recently added that option because of people wanting them.

I have definitely read about people pre-booking them for $25.00 for a week or something close to that. But they did say to pre book them as they have a limited amount.

Thank you both. I'll be sure to check. On my reservation I did request one for medical reasons, but my confirmation does not show it.

Thanks again.
Rosie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter