Baby food pouches on the plane?

Kellyh123

DIS Veteran
Can you take baby food pouches on the plane in carry on luggage? Can you pack them in your checked Luggage?

Thanks

I've never had a problem with either as long as the child in question is actually a baby. When DD was more toddler than baby, the TSA was often less generous with their interpretation of the rule since it technically only makes liquid and gel food allowances for infants.

As long as each pouch is 3.4 oz or less you can put them in your clear 1 qt bag in your carry on. You can fill your suitcase with them if you're checking the bag.

Last edited:
You can definitely bring the pouches in a carry on for a baby, as it's considered baby food. I always packed these items separately and declared them at security. TSA would check them over separately and we'd be on our way. Now that my kids are preschool age and older, I don't know that they would be as accommodating, but those pouches sure are convenient for the younger kids! Happy travels!

Here is the rule exemption from the TSA site.....

3-1-1 Liquids Rule Exemption

Formula, breast milk and juice in quantities greater than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters are allowed in carry-on baggage and do not need to fit within a quart-sized bag. Separate formula, breast milk and juice from other liquids, gels and aerosols limited to 3.4 ounces. You do not need to travel with your child to bring breast milk.

Ice packs, freezer packs, frozen gel packs and other accessories required to cool formula, breast milk and juice are allowed in carry-on. If these accesories are partially frozen or slushy, they are subject to the same screening as described above. You may also bring gel or liquid-filled teethers, canned, jarred and processed baby food in carry-on baggage. These items may be subject to additional screening.

If you put them in your checked baggage, double bag them in ziplock baggies in case some pop due to changes in air pressure.

I've never had a problem with either as long as the child in question is actually a baby. When DD was more toddler than baby, the TSA was often less generous with their interpretation of the rule since it technically only makes liquid and gel food allowances for infants.

I agree with this. When we went to Disney when my DD was 9 months, I had no problem with the pouches. On our next trip, that same daughter was 18 months old. I had a few pouches in the diaper bag, and TSA made me throw them out.

Same here, traveled with an 11 month old and no issues with pouches. I only had 2 with us, and we planned to go to the store there. They did have to run it through additional screening, which took forever, but no one questioned it.

I've travelled a lot with these pouches for our daughter (now 14 months old) without issue. However, we always have them screened separately and going through the spectrometer (or whatever it is called) and hand inspected.

The last few times I put them in the checked luggage. However, my son has sensory food issues and at 6 years old the fruit pouches are the only kind of fruit he will eat. So, if we aren't checking luggage then I get a note from my pediatrician that says this is necessary for him. It at least let's me be able to take enough for the travel day. Other times I've just mailed them to my Disney resort.

I travel with them all the time due to my 2.5 yr old having food allergies. Separate them, and state they are medically necessary if you need to. I have to go through additional screening but I have never been turned away.

I would ask to speak with a supervisor if someone told me I had to throw them away. An 18 month old can still be considered an infant. I have never had anyone question me though.

It really depends on the agent I'm assuming. On our flight in January from NY, nothing was done about our baby food containers (not opened) we had in our carry on. On our way back at MCO, the lady took them and ran them through a machine, the machine broke down...she had to wait for another one, then ran them through again. They were brand new, still in the package and under the oz limit. Silly IMO but whatever. So it really depends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter