Baby Carrier for toddler??

dmdj232

Mouseketeer
Hey guys, looking for recommendations for the best baby carriers for a toddler (1 years old and older). We will be visiting in Aug/Sept just in case some are better than others during the hot summer months. We will also be renting a stroller. TIA!!

I'm just going to throw out that I'm not taking a carrier for my to-be 18 month old when we go in May. I have 2 reasons...I find it awkward trying to get him on my back anymore (even with my husband's help), and I think carrying 30 lbs around in the heat would get very tiring, very quickly. YMMV of course!

For what it's worth, I have an Ergo 360 and I've always liked it. But my son is too big now for any carry position other than back carry.

I have a tula (which I love) and use it for my almost 2 year old but only for waiting in lines. For me, I cannot use a carrier as a stroller replacement in Florida in the heat. I'm a Floridian and see lots of Mamas carrying in the summer but I personally cannot do it. If you are going to purchase something I would look at something like the Boba (forgetting the name) but it folds up really small and would be perfect for waiting only. Tula and Lilebaby (and maybe Ergo now) make a carrier that has mesh in it which is good for Florida too.

We did Disney World for 5 days the week before Thanksgiving and it was jammed. Lots of parents with little kids. My advice to Moms and Dads with little ones and I'm talking up to 3yr old, bring some kind of baby sling to aid in hold your sleeping child when you are riding the buses coming back after fireworks shows. Most kids I saw on buses were hanging on sleeping, (and of course, most people did not offer their seats). Trying to hold on to a sleepy or a wrigglely child and hold on to a strap or pole on the bus has got to be killing your arms and backs. Any type of a material "sling" that would add extra support so you don't have to strain would be worth the added "another thing to carry"

Tula or Kinderpack and I would highly recommend bringing it. Yes it will be hot but it was a complete LIFE saver for me on the busses. When they are packed and you have to stand and your baby wants to be held its really hard to hold on and hold a baby. Also my other two were 4 and 6 and sometimes they both wanted to use the stroller and I could throw my 2 yr old on my back for a little bit if he wanted a break too. Its not like we walked around all day with him in it but it was definitely worth bringing it and the bus alone was worth it.

I recommend a lillebaby. I forget the name of the model I have but it has a mesh middle (it zips up or down)...doesn't make a huge difference but helps some. I wore my daughter until she was 18 months in it & use it now for my 3 month old. I plan on taking it to Disney when he's 14 months.
I'll also be bringing a double umbrella stroller, so I only plan on carrying him on the transportation, in lines & when I can't use the stroller.

I have a tula (which I love) and use it for my almost 2 year old but only for waiting in lines. For me, I cannot use a carrier as a stroller replacement in Florida in the heat. I'm a Floridian and see lots of Mamas carrying in the summer but I personally cannot do it. If you are going to purchase something I would look at something like the Boba (forgetting the name) but it folds up really small and would be perfect for waiting only. Tula and Lilebaby (and maybe Ergo now) make a carrier that has mesh in it which is good for Florida too.

I will second the Tula! I am more Pooh sized and my wife is Lumiere sized. Quick adjustment and we can swap back and forth. I carried my 18m old around Epcot most of the day and it saves your arms waiting in lines. It does get hot but we find it to be a relief.

I will second the Tula! I am more Pooh sized and my wife is Lumiere sized. Quick adjustment and we can swap back and forth. I carried my 18m old around Epcot most of the day and it saves your arms waiting in lines. It does get hot but we find it to be a relief.

I admit I'm kind of an awkward person in general, but I can't imagine the logistics of strapping my 18 month old to my back (or to my husband's) in order to wait in line, and especially the logistics of getting him out when it's time to ride. Could you explain what you did? I may reconsider taking my carrier.

I admit I'm kind of an awkward person in general, but I can't imagine the logistics of strapping my 18 month old to my back (or to my husband's) in order to wait in line, and especially the logistics of getting him out when it's time to ride. Could you explain what you did? I may reconsider taking my carrier.

Its really easy! I'd look up You tube video's but basically you strap it around your waist. Then do the "superman grab" to your toddler. Basically criss cross your arms and grab him under his arms and toss him on your back. (watch a video but its easy once you see it) When you put him on your back you are basically leaning bent over. With one hand under the butt the other hand is putting on the straps. Then Do a bounce to make sure he's in the seat all the way and then buckle the front buckle.

Typically I would have her for a block of time and like the other poster said, in and out real quick. It is always helped to have my wife there but it is pretty easy. I would rather carry, esp in Epcot with all the shops, than trying to navigate a stroller in and out of them. It also gives them a chance to sleep so that we can still do easy rides like Ellen or Living with the Land and not disturb her by moving her.

upload_2017-1-10_2-35-20.png

Typically I would have her for a block of time and like the other poster said, in and out real quick. It is always helped to have my wife there but it is pretty easy. I would rather carry, esp in Epcot with all the shops, than trying to navigate a stroller in and out of them. It also gives them a chance to sleep so that we can still do easy rides like Ellen or Living with the Land and not disturb her by moving her.

View attachment 214291

My son only fell asleep in the back carry one time and his head kept flopping back! My husband was wearing him and I held his head up! I could not get him to lean forward for the life of me! Maybe we were doing something wrong. And can you really do rides with a kid strapped to your back? I feel like that would be uncomfortable.

My son only fell asleep in the back carry one time and his head kept flopping back! My husband was wearing him and I held his head up! I could not get him to lean forward for the life of me! Maybe we were doing something wrong. And can you really do rides with a kid strapped to your back? I feel like that would be uncomfortable.

Should have specified...if she was getting sleepy we would switch to the front carry and hit the slow rides. I don't think it would be fun to back carry on the rides and I am not sure if they would even allow.

Should have specified...if she was getting sleepy we would switch to the front carry and hit the slow rides. I don't think it would be fun to back carry on the rides and I am not sure if they would even allow.

Ah, gotcha. So, with the particular carrier you had, your wife was comfortable front carrying? What kind of carrier is that? I'm still uncertain about strapping 30+ lbs to the front of my own "Lumiere sized" frame.

Ah, gotcha. So, with the particular carrier you had, your wife was comfortable front carrying? What kind of carrier is that? I'm still uncertain about strapping 30+ lbs to the front of my own "Lumiere sized" frame.
It was a standard Tula carrier. They have hundreds of different designs so you could match to whatever style you like. She would get tired of carrying front after a couple hours and she also has a bad back so it did put some strain on it. I think back carry is more comfortable for most people.

With my eldest we used our ergo occasionally when she was 19 months. We used it without a stroller when we went back in the evenings. That meant one of us had the baby and the other had a back pack to carry the necessary diaper bag things. We also used it a lot when my second was 11 months old. He took a lot of naps in it when he wouldn't nap in the stroller. Both of these trips were in the fall so heat wasn't an issue. When we travel with 3 this summer we will definitely still bring it. It is good to have options when you are bringing a little one into a totally new and sometimes overwhelming environment.

Tula or Kinderpack Toddler sizes. I recommend back wearing for over 2 years old. There is a Disney baby wearing group on Facebook if you have specific baby wearing questions at the parks!

image.jpeg We love using our Tula. Here my daughter is 19 months when we went in September. Key to babywearing in the heat is wearing appropriate clothing!!! Invest in good heat gear (moisture wicking) and stay hydrated. I didn't wear all day every day, but it made a world of difference when waiting in 15+minute lines. We alternated between stroller and wearing and it worked out great.

And here she is with my husband. He prefers to wear on his front versus back. He's wearing an under armor heat gear moisture wicking shirt and performance moisture wicking shorts (north face I believe?). image.jpeg

It takes me less than a minute to put her on my back and even faster to get her off. To put on, I put on my carrier with the waist band a tad lose and then put her on my front and center her. I then grab both straps in one hand and swing her around to my back. Adjust the straps and bounce her into a higher seat and tighten.

To take her off- I loosen the waist band a bit and take off the chest clips. Slip my arm out of the left strap, hold it, reCh around with my right hand to her back, swing her around to my front and drop the other strap while holding her. Sounds harder than it is but I can have her out in 30 seconds. We've always worn her in any line more than 5 minutes (or Pooh initially because of the fun interactive elements) and I've never had an issue taking her off as I walk up to get on the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter