• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

[B]Questions about no expiration. [/B]

stepdisney

Jambo Wildbunch Gang
My DH and I are debating over whether it is a good idea to add no expiration and upgrade from 8 day ticket to 10 day. We have hopper plus water parks and more for eight days. I believe the water parks is for 6 days with an 8 day ticket. We will not use all 14 days and will probably end up with three days on the ticket and three on the water park. When you add the no expiration option, is it for the entire amount of days or whatever you have left? Is it worth it? Do the ticket prices go up every year? I think we should but my DH thinks the cost goes up way to much when you add this option.:confused3

it's for the most number of days on the ticket. so if you upgrade to a 10 day ticket, you pay for 10 days of no expiration, no matter how many days are left when you do it.

ticket prices are likely to go up at least once a year, yes.

We're dealing with the same thing. We're going to Disney for 10 days and we have 10 day hoppers with water parks - there is NO way we will use all of those tickets and passes. We planned out 5 park days, 2 water park days, and 1 Disney Quest day, with one rest day in the middle. We're paying (I think) $660 to upgrade the tickets to non-expiring once we get there. This basically means we'll spend $660 now to have a "pre-paid" Disney trip in the future with 5 park days and 3 plus passes for each of us. This is cheaper than buying 5 day hoppers with water parks right now, and with the yearly price increases I'm sure we'll save even more by the time we return several years from now. At first $660 seemed insane just to have the tickets not expire - but when I did the math and really looked at our options, it began to make a whole lot of sense. Given that our next trip will probably be 7 days long, I imagine we'll even have a water park pass or two left over for a third trip, making it even more worthwhile.

1. Whether the math actually works out to any savings depends upon the number of days of ticket you will need for next trip. If you need to buy more days, it tends not to work out.
2. Even if the math works, you're essentially giving Disney a loan of $165 plus the extra days you added. You don't know when/if you will get there next. The best laid plans can change when things happen.

For these reasons, I do not suggest them except for a very few particular situations.

(copied from another post)
Generally non-expiration makes sense when the ticket will fully cover two whole vacations if not more.

Non-expiring makes a little more sense when there are water park admissions left over as well.

Think of it this way: The ticket cost for the first vacation is the cost of an expiring ticket that just covers. The ticket cost for the second vacation is what remains of the non-expiring ticket's cost plus the cost of additional expiring tickets, if any, needed.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

(copied from another post)
Generally non-expiration makes sense when the ticket will fully cover two whole vacations if not more.

Non-expiring makes a little more sense when there are water park admissions left over as well.

Think of it this way: The ticket cost for the first vacation is the cost of an expiring ticket that just covers. The ticket cost for the second vacation is what remains of the non-expiring ticket's cost plus the cost of additional expiring tickets, if any, needed.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Can you upgrade on the non-expiring ticket on your second trip. In other words, normally you can add days onto your ticket, can you add more days on a non-expiring ticket. I'm thinking if we have three days and 3 waterpark days, we can add two more days and have enough for another vacation. Plus, because we have to pay for 10 day non expiration even though we will use 7 days, we should be able to add more days without having to pay additional non-expiration dollars? Is this making sense to you? I don't want to waste days not used and I don't want to pay for somthing up front if it comes out to be the same as what it would be if we started from scratch on another vacation.

Thanks for answering. It is very confusing.

all upgrades must be done within 14 days of activation of the ticket, so no, you can't make additional changes in the future. you also can't go above 10 days total. if you need more than 10 days in a year, you should consider an AP.

I posted over on the MYW questions sticky but haven't heard yet,

does it make sense to upgrade existing MYW non expiring hoppers w/ 5 park days and 3 water parks left on them to AP's if we are going back for a total of 10+ days in the next 12 months????

if you need more info from me on this please ask. . .

all I can thiink to tell you is tics were purchased sept 2005, we are going sept 2007 and Jan 2008 and possibley once after that . . .

all upgrades must be done within 14 days of activation of the ticket, so no, you can't make additional changes in the future. you also can't go above 10 days total. if you need more than 10 days in a year, you should consider an AP.

10 days meaning the initial 10 days or whats left on the ticket. In other words, if we had 3 days left and wanted, before we left Disney, to upgrade our ticket to no expiration, keeping in mind that ticket now only has 3 days on it, can we add two or three days to the three days left to make it 5 or 6 days? It would be within 14 days of the original activation, or would this ticket forever be considered a 10 day ticket?

Ten days is the maximum counting days used, days remaining, and days you want to add as an upgrade. Cost of non-expiration also depends on all three.

The approximate break even between regular tickets and an annual pass is 13 days with hopping and no non-expiration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter