[B]AP, base ticket & DDP questions[/B]

GOODoldPAL

Mouseketeer
OK, starting to think one needs to be a rocket scientist to figure out the best deal for WDW package, especailly DDP factors!! :earseek:

My questions:
- The mandatory 1 day base ticket - is it actually issued in someone's name?
Or can it be used by anyone since it is not activated until used?
- A MYW ticket doesn't have to be used for a person to use DDP right? (Disney is requiring purchase of MYW tic but don't have to actually "activate" a MYW tic to participate in DDP?)
- When do you actually get the tickets in hand as part of this package? (If purchased thru AAA for instance)

This quote is from MouseSavers:"As long as you don't use the 1-Day Base Ticket, it will not expire and can be applied later toward the purchase of a more expensive ticket."
So, could you trade three 1 day base tickets for two 8 day hopper/water passes since those are more expensive?

Trying to decide the possible advantage of a possible discount for AP.
Was simple when just considering room & tickets but with DDP and factoring in that mandatory 1 day base ticket, seems to be more risky, and maybe even unlikely, that an AP would yield more than $300 in savings for our group of three. (the difference between 8 day tickets and AP + water park tics + 1 day MYW base) :scratchin:

Of course, if we visit WDW within a year I would save that in ticket price later but can only hope another visit will happen. So more information on the AP and the mandatory 1 day MYW will help me decide if possible AP savings would affect THIS vacation only.
My dilemma is the value of that one reg AP for our family of three (water park mavens) since I would have to buy the minimum 1 day base tic + add on the (2) water park admissions. :confused3
The other downside is the AP holder with water park tickets would not have flexibility that others have w/ their hopper/water tics unless you purchased a premium for over $130 more!

OK, my brain hurts now.:headache:

The admission ticket is encoded onto a room key, but it technically not tied to a specific guest until used. This is subject to change without notice.

bicker said:
The admission ticket is encoded onto a room key, but it technically not tied to a specific guest until used. This is subject to change without notice.

OK thanks
So, let's say you have 2A in a room, one has an AP (and needed to buy the 1 day tic to be eligible for DDP).
Can the other person use that 1 day MYW ticket first, then another tic like a 7 day pass (while the AP holder uses their AP)?
I'm assuming since they are sharing a room, the room keys are encoded the same for both people?

Actually, each person's room key has their own name on it now, but I don't think that'll prevent what you're suggesting. Admission passes are non-transferable from the person who first uses them, so for one days passes, it just doesn't come into play.

GOODoldPAL said:
OK thanks
So, let's say you have 2A in a room, one has an AP (and needed to buy the 1 day tic to be eligible for DDP).
Can the other person use that 1 day MYW ticket first, then another tic like a 7 day pass (while the AP holder uses their AP)?
I'm assuming since they are sharing a room, the room keys are encoded the same for both people?

After you check in one person can upgrade their one day base ticket and the other person can just keep one day base ticket. Upgrading a one day ticket to an 8 day pass will be cheaper than buying a 7 day pass.

edited to say Disney just upgraded their computer system. I'm not sure if allowing only one guest to upgrade is a loophole that might be closed. Disney usually likes to take our money even if it's only from one guest.

GOODoldPAL said:
This quote is from MouseSavers:"As long as you don't use the 1-Day Base Ticket, it will not expire and can be applied later toward the purchase of a more expensive ticket."
So, could you trade three 1 day base tickets for two 8 day hopper/water passes since those are more expensive?

OK, my brain hurts now.:headache:
you can not apply 3 different tickets to one upgraded ticket.
I believe you can have your room key seperated from your park key(and then I believe that you can upgrade each ticket individually)...I saw some where posted that people were having trouble upgrading their 1 day tickets to AP's, so you might just have to pocket that 1 day ticket for another trip(and upgrade it then), if you really want the AP.

How many days are you going for...and are you planning more than 1 trip in a year?

Only one ticket can be used for each u-pgrade. If ypou want to seperate the ticket from the room key do it on the last day, otherwise it causes ocnfision and problems with the meal credits.

On my last trip, I used three different one day passes. One was my friends, one was her dd's and one was my DH's. Worked just fine. They were going to go to waste is why I used them up instead of getting a three day pass. We have SEVERAL one day passes left ourselves (since we are usually AP holders and have gotten one day passes for the purpose of getting the DP) and won't use them up for a few years and my friend and her dd's...they won't be back for a long time (so they say).

Thanks bicker, Lewisc, canwegosoon, Amyrlin, & MemoryMakers for your input - what a helpful bunch you disboard peep are!!
:thanks:

canwegosoon - we are planning 9-10 nts in May but will do long day @ Kennedy SC & visit fam another day.
Haven't decided if we will be off WDW property for that, or tack these at end so likely buying 10 day hopper/water passes which is what prompted me to consider AP (plus possible AP discount of course).

Prospect of another WDW trip within a year is slim but I'm an optimist! :cloud9:
A shame Disney has not yet ratified the DDP/1 day min tic thing for AP holders (like DVC). Seems to cause a lot of hassle on both ends and if it discourages peep from purchasing either AP or DDP that can't be good for Disney $$ wise.
I would think APers bring along a good deal of new business on return trips too.

GOODoldPAL said:
Thanks bicker, Lewisc, canwegosoon, Amyrlin, & MemoryMakers for your input - what a helpful bunch you disboard peep are!!
:thanks:

canwegosoon - we are planning 9-10 nts in May but will do long day @ Kennedy SC & visit fam another day.
Haven't decided if we will be off WDW property for that, or tack these at end so likely buying 10 day hopper/water passes which is what prompted me to consider AP (plus possible AP discount of course).

Prospect of another WDW trip within a year is slim but I'm an optimist! :cloud9:
A shame Disney has not yet ratified the DDP/1 day min tic thing for AP holders (like DVC). Seems to cause a lot of hassle on both ends and if it discourages peep from purchasing either AP or DDP that can't be good for Disney $$ wise.
I would think APers bring along a good deal of new business on return trips too.
If you are doing 9-10 days minus 1-2 days for other activities, do not need the AP discount(for room or dining DDE) and are not planning a trip for at least another year, it would be more cost effective for you do just do a 7-10 MWY ticket(with or without plusses and hopping depending on your travel plans).

DVC(That's me) while staying at DVC properties have no requirement to have tickets with their dining plan. I have AP tickets and am doing the DP over Christmas, but doing DDE over our March trip.

I hope this makes sense

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter