[B]Anyone remember Flagler's?[/B]

sotoalf

DIS Veteran
For the record my family never ate here; but we would always read about it, and whenever we visited the GF we always said we wanted to eat there. I know it was an Italian restaurant, with singing waiters.

How good was the food and service? I don't hear too many people missing it; I must say that having Citricos in its place inspires no regret in me either!

I'm going to be interested in reading the responses too as we never tried it either. It was one of those places we kept thinking about but never quite made...sort of like Flying Fish and 'Ohana which we consider each trip.

We did it once. OK, but nothing memorable. And there was hardly anyone else in the place. The "singing" wasn't traditional, or pleasant. Nothing like the strolling musicians at Palio. The nite we were there a group of 4-5 servers made a circle around our table and beat on tambourins like there was no tomorrow. Ugh!
Can't recall what I had, but Mrs. U had rigatoni, and it was perfectly ordinary, similar to what you find at the Macaroni Grill.

Like Macaroni Grill, eh? Since there's a lot more MG's now than there were in the late '80s and '90s, I suppose the appetite for okay-to-pretty-good Italian food at a supposedly top-of-the-line resort vanished!

We ate at Flagler's the day after our Fairy Tale Wedding back in 1997.

We LOVED it. The service was wonderful. Concierge told the waiter that we were married in the Wedding Pavilion the day before. They were so wonderfu. They kept bring the free strawberries & champange. There were several members of the wait staff who were always checking on us. Free deserts, free apitizers, free drinks, the works! I think the only thing we actually paid for was the entrees & tip tha night.

The food when we went was actually very good. I can't stand Olive Garden or Macoroni Grill. I am Italian, so "chain Italian" just does not sit well with me. It has to be very good resturant Italian for me to enjoy it.

DH & I have talked about that night many times. Each time we go we say how much we miss it.

I sure wish Disney would not have gotten rid of it. It was such a beautiful resturant.

Uncleromulus said:
The "singing" wasn't traditional, or pleasant. Nothing like the strolling musicians at Palio. The nite we were there a group of 4-5 servers made a circle around our table and beat on tambourins like there was no tomorrow.

LOL....that sounds....different! ;)

I actually like MG (and Olive Garden) when I'm in the mood for basic Italian fare. At Flagler's we expected a bit more like Palio--but we didn't get it, unfortunately. Add to that the awful "music" and it was a pretty poor experience. There was no singing per se along with those tambourins. They just yelled out something like "La La La la la" as they pounded away--with a profound look of disinterest on their collective faces.
As to why Flaglers failed--who knows??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter