Auto Train / Sleeping Compartment Question

Kim&Chris

DIS Veteran
We've taken the Auto Train before, but this will be the first time we've had a standard sleeper, so I have no idea what to expect.

Based on what I can see on Amtrak's website, these compartments seem to have two chairs, facing each other. The two chairs become one bed, then it seems the other bed pops down (becoming sort of bunk beds).

Here are my questions:

1. Is it difficult to sleep in one of these compartments?

2. Are these beds remotely comfortable?

3. Are restrooms near these compartments? (I'm pregnant, so I'm expecting lots of bathroom runs!!)

4. Should I bring blankets?

5. Are these compartments cool or hot?

ANY information will be greatly appreciated :)

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My family and I have taken Amtrak from Phila to Orlando and plan on doing it again in Aug. The train is very similar to the auto train.I can tell you that it is smaller than it appears in the brochure, however it is relatively comfortable. the beds are comfortable, and have a tv set in each bunk. When the room is in a non sleeping mode, there ids a fold down table with two seats on each side. Ther is a toilet right in your room,and a shower down the hall. Pillows and blankets are provided,as well as all of your meals. The compartments are individually controlled, so it can be as hot or cold as you like.
The information below are the measurements of the cabin from the amtrak tour book:

Viewliner Standard Bedroom:

Dimensions: 3'6" x 6' 8"
Lower Bunk 2' 4" x 6' 8"
Upper Bunk 2' 4" x 6' 2"

Any sleeper is considered First Class, and complimentary beverages and snacks as well as all meals are included.
We enjoyed the trip very much as did the kids.
Feel free to email back with any questions
wanderso@drpa.org
good luck

not really. i had the top bunk and it was a bit difficult to get into it as i am very tall, but i managed.

2. Are these beds remotely comfortable?
it wasn't super comfortable but it was adequate - i was able to sleep once i got used to the motion of the train.

3. Are restrooms near these compartments? (I'm pregnant, so I'm expecting lots of bathroom runs!!)
they're pretty close, and are in the same car.

4. Should I bring blankets?
no need to, they are provided.

5. Are these compartments cool or hot?
we were fine, though we went in november, so i don't know how it would be in the summer.

also, we definately did not have any tv's in our compartments like the other poster mentioned. :confused:

tyhe food was also better than i'd expected.

Originally posted by Kim&Chris

The rooms are small but functional. You will sleep fine, no worse than any other strange bed for most people (even in WDW, I seldom sleep too well the first night). Since you are pregnant, you probably want to plan on the lower bunk for yourself, though.

There are no restroom "facilities" (no toilet, in other words) in the Superliner standard bedroom found on Auto-Train. There is one restroom on the upper level, though it's a bit more cramped than the restrooms (and shower) downstairs. There are four standard bedrooms downstairs right near those restrooms, but then you have the stairs to climb to reach the diner or lounge cars, etc. So, that's something of a toss-up.

Deluxe bedrooms do have restrooms with showers (they also often have a hefty price tag, but that's another thread...).

When I took the AutoTrain, I took the standard sleeper for just myself.

It's a LOT smaller than one would imagine, however, for just myself, I was just fine. With two people it might be a bit different, but then again, there are other places to go within the train if one needs more room.

The sleeper had an AC outlet so that I could plug in my CD player to keep me entertained. The bed was comfy enough... I've slept in worse situations. I myself fell asleep early, and slept like a ROCK. I think I might have woken up once at 11pm, but no big deal.

I never used the restroom, so I can't really comment on that.

The food was EXCELLENT. I was expecting airline type food... but the food served was wonderful.

Here are two pictures of my sleeper (Sorry, didn't get one with the beds down)

autotrain1.jpg

autotrain2.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter