Australians heading to disneyworld.

Sarahz29

Earning My Ears
Heading to Disneyworld In September 2016, first visit super excited looking to chat with other Australian Disney travellers, your experiences etc.

Once you've been to WDW for the first time, you'll start planning your return trip before you've left. A complete overload for the senses. Make sure you give yourself as much time as possible in order to allow yourself a somewhat "leisurely" time. Otherwise you'll panic that you haven't fitted everything in.
But bear in mind. I have been to WDW 4 times and heading back for number 5 this November and I still haven't come close to seeing and doing everything.
You'll have a great time!

i have been june/july, sept/oct and dec/jan a few times. The last time we went at the time you are going we found it very humid. It stormed every afternoon you could kind of set your clock by it but it only rained for a short period of time. We tended to be having a sit down meal or be on a ride at that time so it was fine. Make sure you read up on booking fast passes and restaurant bookings and be aware of the dates you can personally can start booking them. Have you booked flights and accommodation yet? Study the disboards they provide you with so much information. We have stayed both onsite and off site, we have rented a car for some of our visits and have flown to Orlando from New York, Dallas, Atlanta and Charlotte. We have also done the long haul flight from Sydney-Dallas-Orlando and have cruised after our stay at WDW. Each time we go we never seem to do it the same way. Not because those ways dont work but because we like to see other things as well as WDW as its a long trip from Sydney. Feel free to ask and hopefully I can help you. I can understand your excitement it is magical but you do need to put some effort into planning.

Hi!
We were there last September and are heading back September this year also! When are you going??

Another one for September! Ya!:dogdance:

Totally agree with all the advice given so far. You are going to have a fantastic time and one trip is never enough.

This will be our 4th trip. in the past we have been in November/December and September/October. Not sure if you have looked at your Advanced Dining Reservations yet? I know it sound crazy booking restaurants 6 months in advance, but if there are any particular places that interest you, you don't want to miss out. Not sure if you are aware that for past five years Disneyworld has offered free dining plans in September, no guarantee they will offer it this year, but alot of people will be booking dining reservations now in anticipation it will be offered. Even if its not offered, at least you'll have your reservations locked in place.

Agree with GrazingGoat1966, if you can schedule in some down you will appreciate the trip more. Even spending a day at your resort will be an adventure, the theming of the resorts are amazing (I like to go visit different resorts - gives me inspiration for future trips:D )

Another one for Sept here!! Just a quick question - is the Advanced Dining only if you stay onsite? And is this the same as Character Dining?? Thanks!

Once you've been to WDW for the first time, you'll start planning your return trip before you've left. A complete overload for the senses. Make sure you give yourself as much time as possible in order to allow yourself a somewhat "leisurely" time. Otherwise you'll panic that you haven't fitted everything in.
But bear in mind. I have been to WDW 4 times and heading back for number 5 this November and I still haven't come close to seeing and doing everything.
You'll have a great time!

Thank you some good advice, there is so much planning to be done, we definitely will schedule some quiet time fir sure, I'm already thinking one trip won't be enough but that fly is going be the struggle for me.

i have been june/july, sept/oct and dec/jan a few times. The last time we went at the time you are going we found it very humid. It stormed every afternoon you could kind of set your clock by it but it only rained for a short period of time. We tended to be having a sit down meal or be on a ride at that time so it was fine. Make sure you read up on booking fast passes and restaurant bookings and be aware of the dates you can personally can start booking them. Have you booked flights and accommodation yet? Study the disboards they provide you with so much information. We have stayed both onsite and off site, we have rented a car for some of our visits and have flown to Orlando from New York, Dallas, Atlanta and Charlotte. We have also done the long haul flight from Sydney-Dallas-Orlando and have cruised after our stay at WDW. Each time we go we never seem to do it the same way. Not because those ways dont work but because we like to see other things as well as WDW as its a long trip from Sydney. Feel free to ask and hopefully I can help you. I can understand your excitement it is magical but you do need to put some effort into planning.

Thank you I have been scanning through the rides and stuff not a big rollercoaster lover but still plenty of things to do, I'm not looking forward to the flight we are starting in Perth so going be a very long journey. Booked in to Disney all stars movie for 10 days then cabana at universal for the other 10 days. Wanted on site for our first visit.

Another one for September! Ya!:dogdance:

Totally agree with all the advice given so far. You are going to have a fantastic time and one trip is never enough.

This will be our 4th trip. in the past we have been in November/December and September/October. Not sure if you have looked at your Advanced Dining Reservations yet? I know it sound crazy booking restaurants 6 months in advance, but if there are any particular places that interest you, you don't want to miss out. Not sure if you are aware that for past five years Disneyworld has offered free dining plans in September, no guarantee they will offer it this year, but alot of people will be booking dining reservations now in anticipation it will be offered. Even if its not offered, at least you'll have your reservations locked in place.

Agree with GrazingGoat1966, if you can schedule in some down you will appreciate the trip more. Even spending a day at your resort will be an adventure, the theming of the resorts are amazing (I like to go visit different resorts - gives me inspiration for future trips:D )

I agree one trip isn't going be enough I know that we will not be able to cover everything we want so not going to push ourselves to much, I have seen people already booking for restaurants but have no idea what I want to eat in six months time ha ha, guess I need to do more research on this, I like the idea of free dining but not sure how I would be able to get this, only staying in a value hotel and already hooked, I thought it was just for new bookings.

Downtime is definitely on the books want to make use of the hotel pools for sure.

Hi!
We were there last September and are heading back September this year also! When are you going??

We leaving Perth on 26th August and staying at Disney all stars for 10 days then going to cabana at universal for 10 days, when do you go? I am super excited and currently re watching Disney movies to get me back up to speed with all the characters.

Another one for Sept here!! Just a quick question - is the Advanced Dining only if you stay onsite? And is this the same as Character Dining?? Thanks!

Hi Smileykyls!
Yay - another September visitor! Anyone can make Advanced Dining reservations, you will need to set up a Disney account (the MyDisneyExperience section on the Disneyworld website).

To qualify for the Disney Dining Plan (which is were you pay in advance a set amount each day per person - or get it for free if offered) you need to purchase a Magic Your Way Vacation Package which does mean you need to stay onsite. If you are not planing on staying onsite, just make reservations for the restaurants you are interested in :)

Hi Sarahz29. You are correct, if the free dining is offered in September (and I say if because nothing is guaranteed) you would need to call up Disney and ask if it can be applied to your existing package (this is assuming you have purchased a Magic Your Way Vacation Package) and as long as they haven't sold out on this offer at the resort you are staying, they will add it to your package. In the past I have rung up and asked for it to be applied to my package and there was no issue. You do need to do it straight away, as soon as the offer is available as it will 'sell out' very quickly.

If you are staying at All Stars and if you have booked a package (last year you had to have a Magic Your Way Vacation Package with Park Hoppers or the WaterPark Fun and More Option), the Dining Package you would qualify for is the Quick Service Dining Plan. There are lots of Quick Service restaurants (Disney speak for 'take away' restaurants) at Disneyworld and at the various resorts and they are all not just hamburgers and hot dogs. There are lots of variety and those that do have hamburgers, those are pretty good too!

Sorry Smileykyls, I didn't answer the second part of your question. Advanced Dining Reservations are available for most (if not all) table service restaurants (plus Be Our Guest quick service) at Disneyworld, and yes it would include the Character Dining where it is offered. Character Dining is expensive but most are buffet so if you like to eat (like me) you will walk away very full, just remember when it comes to quality it is 'buffet food' so some food types work better than others.

Character Dining is a great way to see characters if you don't want to stand in a line waiting to get autographs, the characters come to your table (except Beast at Be Our Guest - I think you have to go to him and he is only available at dinner time). My personal favorite is the 'Crystal Palace' - beautiful building, great food and Winnie the Pooh and friends come visit you. Who can resist Tigger? :tigger:

Due to your dates you will be there for the Halloween parties http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/halloween.htm. They are an extra cost but we loved it especially with it not being a holiday that our family is used to. I justified the extra cost by telling myself that it was an American cultural event and it was important for our children to experience the culture of other countries. I am pretty good at doing things like when it comes to Disney. We also love Crystal Palace they also have some lovely Character meals at the resorts for example the Grand Floridian. They also have a Halloween event at Universal which you may enjoy. We have never been to this one but saw them setting up as we were leaving one evening. We made our own night of it as it was warm we went to the movies and then played mini golf.

We're going in September for our first trip to wow too. It's been a long time in the planning...we started after we got back from our trip to Canada and the west coast of the US in September 2013. It's evolved from a ten day trip to la to go to DL again to a five week trip that includes our first Disney cruise, 5 nights at universal and 2 weeks (offsite) at wdw. I've almost finished booking our ADRs, just waiting for one more to open up tonight. So excited. When are you all going? We'll be there from the 9th -24th.

Eta : we're hoping to get to the MNSSHP on the 20th. We went to DL's Halloween Party and had a great time. The effort that people put into their costumes was amazing. It's going to be the surprise part of the trip for the kids.

I am leaving Melbourne on August 25th but will be in Toronto Canada for a few weeks before we head to Disney.
Our current Disney plans are:
I have a Free Dining Bounceback booked Sept 19-23rd at POR. I'm looking at changing this to 19th-22nd and going to Port Canaveral on the night of the 22nd after fireworks. Also looking at renting points instead and giving up my FD!!
Then we are off on our first Disney Cruise on September 23rd for 3 nights!!
After the cruise we will check out Kennedy Space Center and then head back to Toronto for a couple more weeks before heading back to Melbourne :(

Sounds like a great trip kbainbridge. We leave Melbourne on the 23rd of August and start our trip with a few days exploring Orlando before our 7 night eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy. Planning trips is almost as much fun as taking them

Due to your dates you will be there for the Halloween parties http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/halloween.htm. They are an extra cost but we loved it especially with it not being a holiday that our family is used to. I justified the extra cost by telling myself that it was an American cultural event and it was important for our children to experience the culture of other countries. I am pretty good at doing things like when it comes to Disney. We also love Crystal Palace they also have some lovely Character meals at the resorts for example the Grand Floridian. They also have a Halloween event at Universal which you may enjoy. We have never been to this one but saw them setting up as we were leaving one evening. We made our own night of it as it was warm we went to the movies and then played mini golf.

Hi AussieNSW, yes we are planning on going to MNSSHP, IMO they are definitely worth the cost. I like your justification for going (I might have to borrow that excuse when I tell my DDs school they will be missing a few weeks of school).

Thanks for the suggestion for the Universal Halloween Party. I think my DD are a little young for those parties, I have heard the 'characters' (zombies etc) go out of their way to really scare people. Disney's are a bit more family friendly.

Hi Sarefromoz, your trip sounds awesome!

We fly out on 1 September to San Francisco (Comic Con plus touristy sites), arrive at Disneyworld on 4 September (in time for DD birthday), fly to Las Vegas on 18 September, Los Angeles/Anaheim from 23 September, fly home on 3 October :worried:

I haven't been there since 2000, however I'll be there again in about 3 weeks! Going down after a work trip to Boston/Newport RI. Booked a Contemporary Garden View room for 7 nights and very much looking forward to seeing my daughter, who has been working at MK since January.

Here's a pic of her in 2000, and then just a week or two ago. Can't wait to see her. :)

1463515_10153263183787030_5583988206690343124_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter