Australia: Discovery Down Under Meets Thread

So glad to hear you had an amazing trip! Australia is very, very high on my list and it is one I can actually get DH to accompany me on.

I'll see if I can come up with a TR. Cousin Orville did an awesome one last year so maybe not as detailed as he covered most of the details of the trip. It's an extremely active trip though, plain awesome!!!
Great trip, weather good--and surf lessons at Bondi were fine, no need for Manly. Terrific food in Sydney, especially Thai! I'd highly recommend the sunset Bridge walk. Tasmania was beautiful--it is a shame they cut it for 2017, based on customer surveys!!

The first of the revised Australia 2017 trips June 18-28, 2017 is now a guaranteed departure, and looks like it's almost full. Thanks Kevin and Dreams Unlimited for keeping this up to date on their website...not only do you host these boards, but you are always a great source of information...we thank you!

Our December 2017 trip is guaranteed, too! So looking forward to the new itinerary. Grifdog, I hope you will give your usual helpful, candid feedback and let me know what extras you are doing. You always find great stuff!

Our December 2017 trip is guaranteed, too! So looking forward to the new itinerary. Grifdog, I hope you will give your usual helpful, candid feedback and let me know what extras you are doing. You always find great stuff!
Thanks - and I look forward to hearing about your trip as well! Our trip is during the prime humpback whale watching time...we missed this on the ABD South Africa trip (they've since dropped that section). The Gold Coast whale trips only depart in the mornings, and all the ABD free time is all afternoons, so that didn't work. We have added an extra day at the end...we hope we'll have ABD take us back to Brisbane on the last day and then stay at an airport hotel, and then we'll get picked up at the hotel and have the morning/afternoon for a tour with Brisbane Whale Watching. My cousin was a military attache' to OZ and says this is one of the very best of the things to do while in OZ. Unfortunately, like our South Africa trip, you'll be visiting just after the humpback season ends... For those that are going from June-November, I recommend you look at this. I've actually talked to several folks who did this particular whale watching trip...they all put it at 110%.

We are still trying to get tandem skydiving on the list...Main Beach at Gold Coast is outside the zone for this, (and almost everything we wanted to do at the Gold Coast), but we may work it in at Cairns. Thanks to WDW Groupie's suggestions, Tufbuff's tremendous help and guidance, we've arranged private surfing at Manly Beach in Sydney, an extra early day for a tour of the Blue Mountains, and Cousin Orville has convinced us to do the Bridge Climb.My DW is still unsure about that one! Only other add on we see is a second visit back to Tamborine on our free night to 4 wheel up to see the glow worms and glow waterfall. We'll sleep for a week when we get back!

Please share what you've come up with for your side and free time. I live vicariously through you folks.

Thanks to everyone for the guidance on insurance for our extra activities...wouldn't do these add ons if there wasn't some type of protection...

We've dropped the New Zealand trip at the end. There are too many variables on weather to tour the South Island on our own. It's dead cold there, and snow avalanches and road closures (only for a day or so) made a tight schedule impossible. We will make that trip someday when we can be incredibly flexible and have the luxury of time to with for the weather and roads to clear....

Last edited:
For anyone on the 7/2/2017 trip, there are 23 so far. 8 children (5 girls and 3 boys). Ages are between 8 and 16.

For anyone on the 7/2/2017 trip, there are 23 so far. 8 children (5 girls and 3 boys). Ages are between 8 and 16.
Thanks RSM! Sounds like a good mix for your trip.

For anyone on the June 18, 2017 trip, "Currently, we have 29 guests total. There are 5 younger children aged 6, 10, 11, 12 and 12. There are also teens aged 13 (female), 15 (male), and 16 (male), 16 (my female twins). I also have a 19 year old (female) and a 21 year old (male).” (These are their current ages, so essentially add a year).

Okay, we have decided to add New Zealand back to the mix. We just looked more closely at the school schedule and realized my son does not have to be back until 1/9 (ABD ends 12/30) so we are saying, "What the heck?" and staying another 3-4 days. It's only money after all. So, we are planning on the South Island (we have gone back and forth and decided the South is for us). We are going to fly from BNE to Queenstown and then take a bus to Te Anau and stay overnight and then do the Doubtful Sound overnight cruise. We were planning on Milford but heard that Doubtful is not as impressive but still extremely beautiful and more remote with fewer boats/tourists. Then, we will head back to Queenstown to fly out. It's not nearly enough time but I think it will still be fabulous! If anyone has experience or suggestions for the South Island, I would love to hear them.

You're already flying so far, you may as well! Are you doing the glow worm caves in Te Anau? If so, I'd love to hear about it. I mean, I will love to hear about the entire trip, since Australia is on the very tippy top of my list, but the glow worms just sound so very cool. Have an amazing trip!

Okay, we have decided to add New Zealand back to the mix. We just looked more closely at the school schedule and realized my son does not have to be back until 1/9 (ABD ends 12/30) so we are saying, "What the heck?" and staying another 3-4 days. It's only money after all. So, we are planning on the South Island (we have gone back and forth and decided the South is for us). We are going to fly from BNE to Queenstown and then take a bus to Te Anau and stay overnight and then do the Doubtful Sound overnight cruise. We were planning on Milford but heard that Doubtful is not as impressive but still extremely beautiful and more remote with fewer boats/tourists. Then, we will head back to Queenstown to fly out. It's not nearly enough time but I think it will still be fabulous! If anyone has experience or suggestions for the South Island, I would love to hear them.
That is fantastic! Congrats-we tried so hard to make NZ work but their winter weather just killed it for us-and you'll be there in the perfect summer season.

My cousin was the DOD military attaché and made several suggestions to us. Depending on your interests there is an amazing backcountry horseback riding program at the doorstep of fjordlands park. It is like being IN the lord of the rings movies. There is also an excellent cafternoon or morning adventure just outside of queens town called cliff diving. You are attached to a zip line style James's and drop until the cable runs down and then you swing to the other side. If you are short on time and want to squeeze more in there is a helicopter pickup in Queensland that takes you to Milford for a 1/2 day boat trip through the highlights then takes you to do a quick glacier landing and walkabout and then back to queens town.

If you have time, in summer it's about a 7!hour drive up to fox glacier. Spend the night and the next day take a hell hike to the top and they will chop a trail over the fissure and you spend about three hours across a glacier and then held back.

The glaciers are disappearing fast and access may soon be limited.

It is a beautiful country. 0please Dona trip report!

From my cousin who was there for some time: "If you go to Queenstown then you'll be in my favorite NZ wine region - Central Otago. They make some really lovely Pinot Noirs, one of the two wines they are most known for worldwide. A few suggestions:

Rippon - "Tinker's Field 2012", "Emma's Block 2012"
Mt. Difficulty - "Bannockburn Pinot Noir 2014" "Roaring Meg Pinot Noir Central Otage 2014"
Felton Road - "Bannockburn Pinot Noir 2013"
Rockburn - Central Otago Pinot Noir 2013/2012/2011" (usually a bit pricey)

The other wine they are most known for is their Sauvignon Blanc which is largely produced in the Marlborough region on the northern portion of the south island. A few suggestions:

Cloudy Bay - "Sauvignon Blanc 2011/2010/2014 Marlborough" (readily available in the US as well)
Saint Clair - "Sauvignon Blanc Wairau Reserve 2011/2013", "Pioneer Block 3 43 Degrees 2011"
Eradus - "Sauvignon Blanc 2009/2013"
Dog Point - "Section 94 Sauvignon Blanc 2013", Sauvignon Blanc 2013/2014"

Just a little"taste" of what they have to offer should you be so inclined."

Additionally, As for the canyon swing, it's pretty easy to find. Queenstown is a small town and there are advertisements for it all over plus the store-front where you check-in is on one of the main streets. But, here is the website just in case: http://canyonswing.co.nz/canyon-swing. You'll check-in and sign paperwork in town then they'll load you in a few vans and drive you out to the canyon. When we walked up to the platform all the equipment/structure/beams/cables were in really good condition (I'm kind of nuts about looking over those sorts of things) - hopefully you'll find the same.

Thanks to everyone for the guidance on insurance for our extra activities...wouldn't do these add ons if there wasn't some type of protection...

Hi everyone!
My family and I just booked for the December 20th, 2017 trip! We are so excited! It will be my parents, my husband, me, and our two children, ages 12 and 10 at the time of the trip.

I am starting to look into potential extra activities now, particularly for our pre-trip days in Sydney. I am trying to find where you found the guidance for insurance for the extra activities and I'm not finding it. Would love any assistance.

Hope to see some of you on the trip, and looking forward to the reviews of the new itinerary!

Hi everyone!
My family and I just booked for the December 20th, 2017 trip! We are so excited! It will be my parents, my husband, me, and our two children, ages 12 and 10 at the time of the trip.

I am starting to look into potential extra activities now, particularly for our pre-trip days in Sydney. I am trying to find where you found the guidance for insurance for the extra activities and I'm not finding it. Would love any assistance.

Hope to see some of you on the trip, and looking forward to the reviews of the new itinerary!

Congrats on Australia! You'll be in the high season summertime and we are in the winter so opportunities will be a bit different.

This board was terrific at in making many different recommendations. Search the ABD board for insurance as there are some candid comments about various companies.

We used the group insure my trip which pulls lots of different companies together. You can narrow your choices and then read the summaries of what they do and do not cover. Read the definitions carefully as these companies meanings of the same words differ from one to another.

For us, only two covered "extreme activities" like the tandem skydiving we are doing onto the Gold Coast beach. Different companies define things differently, again read and have patience. Ours insured also based on the total cost of the insured trip (I.e. What you are asking for coverage amount if there is a cancellation) and you have to have the receipts if making a claim. This required us to refine and decide what we were doing well before departure. Our estimates were pretty much dead on.

Except Where we guessed wrong - tickets to see the sydney symphony in the great hall of the opera house as the season wasn't announced and the good seats were way way more expensive. Only a be show available on our predates. So we are in the nosebleed section!

Christmas in Sydney/Ayer rock sounds fantastic. Enjoy!

Hi everyone!

Right now, we are planning pre days in Melbourne and post days on the South Island of New Zealand. Nothing is solid because we need to see flight prices. I fear that may be scary! I'love post once our plans are solid.

Any recommendations on the electric converter plug? Both the Australian Tourism website recommends them as well as the ABD site. Did anyone actually need one - do the hotels provide? I bought an expensive one for South Africa and it promptly melted down in my room the first night. The hotels, it turned out, provided them throughout the trip. Would prefer not to repeat that unpleasant experience.

Any recommendations on the electric converter plug? Both the Australian Tourism website recommends them as well as the ABD site. Did anyone actually need one - do the hotels provide? I bought an expensive one for South Africa and it promptly melted down in my room the first night. The hotels, it turned out, provided them throughout the trip. Would prefer not to repeat that unpleasant experience.
Depends on what you're plugging in. Most electronics these days only require an adapter (change the plug shape) and not a converter. Usually the only ones that require a converter is things like hair blow dryers and some flat irons. And I *HIGHLY* recommend not using those even if you have a converter. You can buy flat irons that are compatible with both currents, and almost all hotels provide blow dryers as they don't WANT you using your own.

I can't imagine why your converter melted down unless you were using a blow dryer!

Sayhello

Depends on what you're plugging in. Most electronics these days only require an adapter (change the plug shape) and not a converter. Usually the only ones that require a converter is things like hair blow dryers and some flat irons. And I *HIGHLY* recommend not using those even if you have a converter. You can buy flat irons that are compatible with both currents, and almost all hotels provide blow dryers as they don't WANT you using your own.

I can't imagine why your converter melted down unless you were using a blow dryer!

Sayhello
Yes! Exactly! My DD was using a hair dryer. There was not one provided in the room. The hotel promptly provided one and moved us to a slightly less desirable room as they said they need to check out the safety and damage to the electrics. We asked later, no damage - the converter took the hit.

Yes! Exactly! My DD was using a hair dryer. There was not one provided in the room. The hotel promptly provided one and moved us to a slightly less desirable room as they said they need to check out the safety and damage to the electrics. We asked later, no damage - the converter took the hit.
At least the converter took the hit, and not the room or your DD!! From what I've seen, even if the converter manufacturer and the blow dryer manufacturer say they are compatible, they aren't. There was a family on one of my trips that *did* blow the circuits in their room with a blow dryer.

That's also a good travel tips for folks. If your hotel room does not have a blow dryer, ask the front desk. Chances are really good they have one you can use; they may just not have enough to keep one in every room.

Sayhello

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter