Australia: Discovery Down Under Meets Thread

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Please post here if you would like to talk with anyone else who has signed up to travel to Australia with ABD.

You can also share information/ask questions about the Australia Discovery Down Under ABD.

Please try and keep this thread on topic to discussion and questions about the Australia ABD. Off topic posts will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Roll Call:

Previous:
  • Dec 18 - 29, 2013 --HavinABlast, DH & 2 DDs (11 & 7)
  • Jun 24 - Jul 5, 2015 - *WDW*Groupie* & DD 13
  • Jul 22 - Aug 2, 2015 - Cousin Orville & son
  • Oct 21 - Nov 1, 2015 - pixiepirate & girlfriend

Last edited:
I can't find another Australia meet and greet thread, so I'll start one.

My family will be on the Dec 18, 2013 trip. It will be myself, hubby, and son (10 yrs old next year), and daughter (8 yrs old).

Look forward to meeting everyone else!!

I just read the itinerary and it sounds like an amazing trip. But the cost has me reeling. I'm tentatively considering it for myself, my husband and our 9 yr old son.

I can't find another Australia meet and greet thread, so I'll start one.

My family will be on the Dec 18, 2013 trip. It will be myself, hubby, and son (10 yrs old next year), and daughter (8 yrs old).

Look forward to meeting everyone else!!

We are considering joining the Dec 18th tour. Are you still planning on going? We have two girls, 11 and 7.

I wanted to go on this trip so badly!! But we moved this year (quite unexpectedly...fell in love with another house in the neighborhood with an awesome pool). Anyway, our cash flow didn't allow such a big trip expense (airplane tix alone are $10k for a family of 4!!), so we ended up cancelling.

But I told my hubby we need to go in the next few years...its a key trip on my bucket list. And I'd like a full week in New Zealand before the Australia trip.

have you booked the trip? I'm super-jealous!! :)

Congrats!! :thumbsup2

Let me know which departure date (although I'm guessing Dec 18) and who all is in your party, and I'll add you to the Roll Call!

Sayhello

Yes - Dec 18. Me, my DH and 2 DDs (11 & 7) are going. Is there anyone else on the roll call yet? ABDers don't seem to be into the Disboards like the DCLer are! ;)

Yes - Dec 18. Me, my DH and 2 DDs (11 & 7) are going. Is there anyone else on the roll call yet? ABDers don't seem to be into the Disboards like the DCLer are! ;)
Nope, you're it so far on the Roll Call since paddles had to cancel.

And yes, we seem to get a much fewer ABDers on this board than you get DCLers on their board. But if you look at it as a percentage, ABDs have much fewer people period than DCL cruises do. So the odds are higher for DCL. We've had a few overlaps, but nothing like on the DCL board.

That said, I hooked up ahead of time with another DISer and her Mom who were on the same ABD as me, and was able to arrange to join them on a pre-ABD excursion (which was amazing!) So I'm a big proponent of at least trying to find out who else is going! I really wish ABD would do something like set up a facebook page for folks going on a particular trip (obviously, you'd be able to opt out of it!) I like getting to know my fellow travelers ahead of time! (ABD, if you're reading, I'd be happy to be your facebook page coordinator! :groom:)

Sayhello

G'day! This thread doesn't seem to get a lot of traction, but just in case...
We're signed up for the July 22, 2015 trip. :D

Cool, Kevin! Who all is going on this trip? Just you and your son again?

Sayhello

It will be just my oldest son and me again. My very kind and understanding DW is staying home with the younger kids. The whole family will be heading on the Norway cruise in June. I'll be sure to get a trip report together. There doesn't seem to be many on Australia.

Cousin Orville we used a lot of your restaurant tips on our recent Asia trip. If there is any information you would like on Australia I am happy to try and help. Also, the Australian section of the DIS has a fabulous suite of helpers who can assist will tips all over the country.

Cousin Orville we used a lot of your restaurant tips on our recent Asia trip. If there is any information you would like on Australia I am happy to try and help. Also, the Australian section of the DIS has a fabulous suite of helpers who can assist will tips all over the country.

Thank you very much. I'm sure I will need some help, especially once I try to figure out what to do before and after the ABD.

G'day! This thread doesn't seem to get a lot of traction, but just in case...
We're signed up for the July 22, 2015 trip. :D

I'm on the Dec. 19, 2015 trip and can't wait!!!

Since the trip ends Dec. 30th, everyone's telling me that I should spend New Year's in Australia. I've been looking at prices and they jump dramatically over those days and most require at least a three night minimum stay. Add to that the increase in airfare starting on Jan. 2nd and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

My ideal situation would be to have a room with harbour bridge view so that I could sit in my room and see the fireworks without going down with the 1.5 million other people to the viewing areas. I know this will cost me, but want to know what all my options are. I've also researched doing a NYE fireworks cruise(based on reviews, not always optimal viewing) and the Opera House.

Has anyone who did the December Australia ABD stayed over for NYE? What were your experiences? What hotel did you stay in?

I am seriously considering this tour for Sep or Oct 2015 with perhaps a few days in Melbourne added at the end. I haven't been able to locate any trip reports. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has done this tour. What did you like? Dislike? Tips? I've done a lot of research and ADB seems to offer some unique experiences. Hearing from someone who has been there and done that would be quite helpful.

Thanks!

My girlfriend and I just booked the Oct 21, 2015 tour, with one pre-day in Cairns and are considering 3 post days in Melbourne. :yay:

My girlfriend and I just booked the Oct 21, 2015 tour, with one pre-day in Cairns and are considering 3 post days in Melbourne. :yay:

Exciting! Yeah there aren't many trip reports at all on Australia. The only one I know is Pete's blog on WDWInfo and the DISUnplugged podcast review a few years ago. It's worth it to search it out if you haven't heard it.

I'm just starting to look at how I want to structure this trip. I noticed that most all flights from the US either fly into Syndey or Melbourne. What's there to do in Melbourne? I know nothing about Australia. Also, what's your reasoning for the extra day in Cairns? Just getting over jet lag and relaxing, or is there something there worth seeing that's not on the trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!