August 2017

We are planning on 7/29 - 8/5. We usually have something booked by now, but are a little more behind than normal. I can't see if there are usually discounts during this time frame. Does anyone know? We usually go in June or July. It's been many years since we visited in August.

Someone posted a link that showed discounts for those times last year and there was a room only discount.

Are you all using travel agents to get such amazing deals? We got AP's this year and I've been looking for a room only discount for the 2nd week in August.

The deals that everyone is getting that you're seeing starts on August 15 so if you're traveling before then it won't help you. Unfortunately, that is my situation as well. It's such a great deal! So I'm looking for a room only discount for sure! In the past, that discount has come out at the end of April - ugh so long!

The deals that everyone is getting that you're seeing starts on August 15 so if you're traveling before then it won't help you. Unfortunately, that is my situation as well. It's such a great deal! So I'm looking for a room only discount for sure! In the past, that discount has come out at the end of April - ugh so long!

Oh, boo :( My kids will be back in school by then. Oh well! We'll go no matter what, but a decent room discount would be nice!

I keep typing in the information needed to get a quote for my July/August dates from the TA, but don't send it. I have always done all of my own planning and reservations (with the exception of 1 time), but have heard some great things about one of the TAs. I would feel horrible if I asked for a quote, but didn't use them, because the quote was out of my budget, or didn't fit my needs. Am I overthinking this? If you receive a quote, but don't use the TA, does anyone else feel bad? Does anyone know if you receive a quote, and book with a TA, if a better discount comes out from Disney, will they get that discount for you?

Last edited:
I keep typing in the information needed to get a quote from the TA, but don't send it. I have always done all of my own planning and reservations (with the exception of 1 time), but have heard some great things about one of the TAs. I would feel horrible if I asked for a quote, but didn't use them, because the quote was out of my budget, or didn't fit my needs. Am I overthinking this? If you receive a quote, but don't use the TA, does anyone else feel bad? Does anyone know if you receive a quote, and book with a TA, if a better discount comes out from Disney, will they get that discount for you?

They would give you the Disney discount if its cheaper. I've asked for quotes multiple times; booked; rebooked; changed my mind. Booking through a TA is just like booking yourself when it comes to deposits, payments, fast passes. The only thing you're not able to do is call the Disney line and modify or add comments to your res. You need to go through the TA for that.

They would give you the Disney discount if its cheaper. I've asked for quotes multiple times; booked; rebooked; changed my mind. Booking through a TA is just like booking yourself when it comes to deposits, payments, fast passes. The only thing you're not able to do is call the Disney line and modify or add comments to your res. You need to go through the TA for that.

Thank you. I am going to go ahead and ask for a quote.

Also watching for last week of August. I have quotes from a TA but it's still more than I want to pay with the exchange rate what it is right now (we're Canadian). I can book onsite with a good TA discount and we're all in one room....deluxe or no deluxe, it's hard to put a two parents and two teens in one room. Or I can stay at Bonnet Creek and have two bedrooms and a full kitchen and laundry and two bathrooms for $1000 less. With that $1000 I can pay for three nights onsite at Universal and waterpark tickets for Volcano Bay.
It seems like a no brainer but I still struggle with the decision. We love our offsite stays but it would be nice to go back onsite for one trip.
We'll likely end up at Bonnet Creek as we love it, but I will follow along on this thread just in case I change my mind 50 times, which I've been known to do. ;)

I think we're going to stick w/ moderate and free dining. We've done Poly CL twice, but have never tried the dining plan (or stayed at Port Orleans). And I think my wife is looking forward to choosing whatever she wants on the menu, without worrying about prices. of course, I reserve the right to change my mind a few more times between now and August.

I'm staying at POR in August. I got free dining on a bounce back offer. You really can't go wrong with POR.

You can modify your reservation if free dining is announced. You may need to switch resorts/room categories, however, to take advantage of the promo as not all resorts and room categories will be available.

Be careful though, I've heard people complain that they lost their reservation while trying to add free dining. Make sure to tell the cast member to make your new reservation before canceling the old one. (They won't modify, it requires a new reservation.)

So, what's it generally like weather wise in August? We have ONLY gone in the fall or winter. We bought AP's this year and are going in spring and decided to do August as well as I have mentioned. I have always sworn I would NEVER NEVER NEVER go in the summer because I detest heat and humidity. It's funny what having an AP will do to you lol We're trying to go as much as possible while we still have them! We went last Sept/Oct and it was so miserably humid. I got heat rash.

Anyway, do you usually go this time of year and why do you like it? What is awful about it? If it's as hot/humid as I'm afraid it will be, what are your best tips for surviving it. I sound dramatic, but humidity kills me. I must be losing my mind to consider this!

So, what's it generally like weather wise in August? We have ONLY gone in the fall or winter. We bought AP's this year and are going in spring and decided to do August as well as I have mentioned. I have always sworn I would NEVER NEVER NEVER go in the summer because I detest heat and humidity. It's funny what having an AP will do to you lol We're trying to go as much as possible while we still have them! We went last Sept/Oct and it was so miserably humid. I got heat rash.

Anyway, do you usually go this time of year and why do you like it? What is awful about it? If it's as hot/humid as I'm afraid it will be, what are your best tips for surviving it. I sound dramatic, but humidity kills me. I must be losing my mind to consider this!

It's hot and humid with afternoon rain on many days with a chance of a hurricane. Miserable really. :rotfl:
But we love it and go every August. The later in August you can go, the better it is in terms of crowds.
Go early in the morning or in the evening. Try to avoid the parks in the afternoon. Enjoy. :)

I called this morning prior to making a reservation for our end of August trip to see if I happened to have any pin codes. I didn't, but the woman I spoke to told me that summer discounts would be released "very soon." I was thinking I wouldn't be able to apply any discounts/free dining till at least end of March, but she made it sound like it'll be earlier than that. How true that is, who knows!

I called this morning prior to making a reservation for our end of August trip to see if I happened to have any pin codes. I didn't, but the woman I spoke to told me that summer discounts would be released "very soon." I was thinking I wouldn't be able to apply any discounts/free dining till at least end of March, but she made it sound like it'll be earlier than that. How true that is, who knows!

I hope it's soon! Thanks for sharing!

It's hot and humid with afternoon rain on many days with a chance of a hurricane. Miserable really. :rotfl:
But we love it and go every August. The later in August you can go, the better it is in terms of crowds.
Go early in the morning or in the evening. Try to avoid the parks in the afternoon. Enjoy. :)

Last week of August is my Disney time too. You're right though, the weather is awful and I obsessively hope for no hurricane each year.

Be careful though, I've heard people complain that they lost their reservation while trying to add free dining. Make sure to tell the cast member to make your new reservation before canceling the old one. (They won't modify, it requires a new reservation.)
I've modified my reservation online to get free dining

We're hoping to go around Aug 20-27, but we can adjust the dates with the better discounts. The little 1/2 free dining is not the best deal out there. It will likely be two rooms at a value resort. My sister, brother in law and their two girls (10 and 6 at the time) have never been, but my 22 yo nephew who might be coming came with me 10 years ago! I think free QSDP would be the best deal for them. Crazy with the exchange. Someone mentioned earlier about being Canadian, and I hear you! :) to be Canadian, :( with our exchange right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter