Aug 22-26, 2015 POFQ

ThatGuyOnce

Earning My Ears
"It's a little bit cheesy, but it's nicely displayed."
- Frank Zappa

We loved POFQ. The small footprint makes it easy to get to all the amenities, even from the farthest river view room. The pool is meh, but having access to the POR pool makes up for it. I enjoyed the convenience of the small QS restaurant, and the refillable mugs were worth the money—the Powerade came into play several times. The rooms are small but adequate even for a family of four, and the privacy curtain makes it easy enough to change clothes. They delivered an autographed picture of Mickey Mouse for my wife because we were celebrating her birthday. The gift delivery from Disney Floral came exactly as ordered on her birthday, and I had actually forgotten about it by then.

Transportation was never an issue. The bus and boat service was dependable, and we didn't have any problems with the monorail on our short visit. One bus driver had everybody sing happy birthday to my wife.

AK – definitely a half-day park. We went early, did EE twice and Dinosaur once, then back to the hotel for pool time.
HS – pretty much a half-day park, but I could wander around there all day by myself. Fantasmic was awesome, and the dinner package was worth it. You are facing the Frozen fireworks on your way out of the theater. My only complaint was that they didn't pipe in the Frozen music, and had their own house music playing during the fireworks. The Sunset Boulevard rides were awesome as always, and lines short.
Epcot – is Epcot. That's another place that I'd like to explore by myself at my leisure. We hit the "E ticket" rides there and enjoyed them. Skipped Illuminations in favor of getting over to MK.
MK – Isn't that really why we go to Disney World? We got on 7dmt twice. It's not worth a 2 hour wait, but it's fun if you can get in quickly. Do it at least once at night.

Food ranged from underwhelming to very good. The QS at POFQ was adequate for quick meals, and the refillable mugs were worth the money—especially for morning coffee and afternoon Powerade (hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!). Hits and misses:
  • Misses
    • BOG breakfast. Underwhelming all the way around. It's a cafeteria/table service hybrid with a fancy veneer. The ballroom and library are loud. The West Wing is pretty cool but too dark for breakfast. The food was not worth $20. I had the eggs florentine; it came with maybe a teaspoon of spinach, the driest ham I've ever had, and a plum tomato cut in half, steamed, with no seasoning. My local diner is much better.
    • Via Napoli. The food was tasty but the portions were small for the price. The $15 pepperoni pizza we got at POFQ was more satisfying.
  • Hits
    • Mama Melrose Fantasmic package. It was pricy, but it was a real restaurant with huge portions. I had the saltimbocca; three of us had the huge NY strip and their eyes were bugging.
    • Whispering Canyon Cafe. We had the skillet. The chicken was OK; the corn on the cob, mashed potato, and ribs were terrific. The pulled pork was tasty but just fatty enough that I didn't want too much of it. Another expensive meal, but worth it. I thought I was in big trouble over my choice because it was my wife's birthday and she saw "kids running with sticks." Eventually she started laughing at the shenanigans and absolutely enjoyed the food.
    • Kringla Bakeri og Kafe at Epcot was wonderful. School cake, troll horns, and reindeer kisses made for a yummy snack. We're on vacation, and we're going to eat dessert before dinner.
Overall it was a doubleplus good experience, and I can't wait to go again.

"It's a little bit cheesy, but it's nicely displayed."
- Frank Zappa

We loved POFQ. The small footprint makes it easy to get to all the amenities, even from the farthest river view room. The pool is meh, but having access to the POR pool makes up for it. I enjoyed the convenience of the small QS restaurant, and the refillable mugs were worth the money—the Powerade came into play several times. The rooms are small but adequate even for a family of four, and the privacy curtain makes it easy enough to change clothes. They delivered an autographed picture of Mickey Mouse for my wife because we were celebrating her birthday. The gift delivery from Disney Floral came exactly as ordered on her birthday, and I had actually forgotten about it by then.

Transportation was never an issue. The bus and boat service was dependable, and we didn't have any problems with the monorail on our short visit. One bus driver had everybody sing happy birthday to my wife.

AK – definitely a half-day park. We went early, did EE twice and Dinosaur once, then back to the hotel for pool time.
HS – pretty much a half-day park, but I could wander around there all day by myself. Fantasmic was awesome, and the dinner package was worth it. You are facing the Frozen fireworks on your way out of the theater. My only complaint was that they didn't pipe in the Frozen music, and had their own house music playing during the fireworks. The Sunset Boulevard rides were awesome as always, and lines short.
Epcot – is Epcot. That's another place that I'd like to explore by myself at my leisure. We hit the "E ticket" rides there and enjoyed them. Skipped Illuminations in favor of getting over to MK.
MK – Isn't that really why we go to Disney World? We got on 7dmt twice. It's not worth a 2 hour wait, but it's fun if you can get in quickly. Do it at least once at night.

Food ranged from underwhelming to very good. The QS at POFQ was adequate for quick meals, and the refillable mugs were worth the money—especially for morning coffee and afternoon Powerade (hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!). Hits and misses:
  • Misses
    • BOG breakfast. Underwhelming all the way around. It's a cafeteria/table service hybrid with a fancy veneer. The ballroom and library are loud. The West Wing is pretty cool but too dark for breakfast. The food was not worth $20. I had the eggs florentine; it came with maybe a teaspoon of spinach, the driest ham I've ever had, and a plum tomato cut in half, steamed, with no seasoning. My local diner is much better.
    • Via Napoli. The food was tasty but the portions were small for the price. The $15 pepperoni pizza we got at POFQ was more satisfying.
  • Hits
    • Mama Melrose Fantasmic package. It was pricy, but it was a real restaurant with huge portions. I had the saltimbocca; three of us had the huge NY strip and their eyes were bugging.
    • Whispering Canyon Cafe. We had the skillet. The chicken was OK; the corn on the cob, mashed potato, and ribs were terrific. The pulled pork was tasty but just fatty enough that I didn't want too much of it. Another expensive meal, but worth it. I thought I was in big trouble over my choice because it was my wife's birthday and she saw "kids running with sticks." Eventually she started laughing at the shenanigans and absolutely enjoyed the food.
    • Kringla Bakeri og Kafe at Epcot was wonderful. School cake, troll horns, and reindeer kisses made for a yummy snack. We're on vacation, and we're going to eat dessert before dinner.
Overall it was a doubleplus good experience, and I can't wait to go again.

GLAD YOU ENJOYED POFQ.
POFQ was the go-to for my husband and I four years back to back from 97 to 2000. I am now returning at the end of October but will be staying at POP CENTURY. I have a free dining Lunch at BOG on the day before I leave. Actually I have the feeling that BOG is more a DINNER type of place. But I will see for myself soon enough.

Cool Bus Driver.

Thanks for sharing. I like reading these things!

We just got back from a 10 day stay at POFQ. Loved it! Loved the ambiance, small footprint, carriage ride at night. I thought the food court, while a bit hectic, was pretty good. I really liked our room - garden view, corner room - and loved the curtain to create a changing area. Very helpful for a family of 4. We went over to Riverside to use the pool twice and took the boat to Downtown Disney once. I agree about the pool, especially after staying at Beach Club last summer. However, it was fine for us all in all. I thought the buses were great and quicker than I expected.

We just got back from a 10 day stay at POFQ. Loved it! Loved the ambiance, small footprint, carriage ride at night. I thought the food court, while a bit hectic, was pretty good. I really liked our room - garden view, corner room - and loved the curtain to create a changing area. Very helpful for a family of 4. We went over to Riverside to use the pool twice and took the boat to Downtown Disney once. I agree about the pool, especially after staying at Beach Club last summer. However, it was fine for us all in all. I thought the buses were great and quicker than I expected.

What I loved MOST about POFQ is the boat ride to DTD.... those memories will fill me forever.
In reading these boards I have found that POFQ seems to be the one favorite (if you count all of the hotel categories from value to deluxe) amongst quite a bit of people.

One other thing that i LOVED!!! about POFQ (because of how small it is) is that their buses run often and you rarely get large crowds. Of course I'm sure that also had something to do with my being their during low crowd season, but those buses were always a dream. Of course I dont expect the same with POP, but at least I know better ahead of time. But POFQ buses are a dream.

What I loved MOST about POFQ is the boat ride to DTD.... those memories will fill me forever.
In reading these boards I have found that POFQ seems to be the one favorite (if you count all of the hotel categories from value to deluxe) amongst quite a bit of people.

One other thing that i LOVED!!! about POFQ (because of how small it is) is that their buses run often and you rarely get large crowds. Of course I'm sure that also had something to do with my being their during low crowd season, but those buses were always a dream. Of course I dont expect the same with POP, but at least I know better ahead of time. But POFQ buses are a dream.
I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly we got to the parks. About 10 min to MK and Epcot. Maybe a couple more minutes to HS and about 20 min to AK. Our commute to MK and AK seemed longer from the BC last summer.

I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly we got to the parks. About 10 min to MK and Epcot. Maybe a couple more minutes to HS and about 20 min to AK. Our commute to MK and AK seemed longer from the BC last summer.

I recall the end of the night crowds and how long all of those resort lines would be. Hubby and I would just take our time to walk to POFQ bus line which was never longer than one bus load (often times never even that long). We never liked to stand up.. so in cases where there was indeed a line that would fill up one bus, we would even get near the front of the line and not get on - allowing other to go ahead of us. We would just wait for the next bus to make sure we had a seat because we knew there wasn't going to be a long wait. Going to miss that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter