• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Atmosphere at Kona Cafe?

erinz

DIS Veteran
Hi :wave2:

I was wondering what the atmosphere at Kona Cafe is like. In my mind, I'm imagining it to be like Carrow's, with a Hawaiin theme......

Are there any windows?

It's in the upper lobby of the Poly, just down the hall from O'hana. It is not a real "fancy" decor, restaurant. It is open to the lobby on two sides. There is one area in the rear that is exposed to windows, but its not really an architectural feature. It really just looks like any open-lobby restaurant that you might see in any first class hotel.

can you see the monorail and/or volcano pool from those back windows?

newholidayx2 said:
can you see the monorail and/or volcano pool from those back windows?

No, as I recall, the windows overlook the front entry area of the hotel.

you can kind of see the monorail if you are at the tables closest to the windows but no you can't see the volcano pool. i like the food there but the atmoshpere is forgetable.

You can see the monorail from virtually any table....a couple of them may be blocked somewhat by the podium. The glass windows make up one short side of the restaurant....actually there is a walkway with a railing between the tables and the windows but you can clearly see the monorail. One long side faces the atrium and waterfall. The other two sides are walls with the dessert bar and kitchen access being along the other long wall.

For many years, Kona and Coral Seas as it used to be called were our very first meal on all our WDW trips. I would take our children up and order breakfast while my husband checked in. So for us, Kona is very special. It means we are at WDW. :cool1:

The food and service are great at all meals. The decor is attractive.

I go to Kona for the food -- not the atmosphere. It's a long, narrow restaurant. While not unattractive, it's not heavily themed like O'Hana. However, the food is awesome -- particularly breakfast.

SqueakyMouse said:
I go to Kona for the food -- not the atmosphere.
I totally agree. They serve the best breakfast at WDW. :love:

Lack of atmosphere is the one thing that has always kept us from dinner at Kona. As BCV23 indicates, it used to be called the Coral Isle Cafe. Described in an earlier Birnbaum as a "standard coffee shop", it still looks like one to me. Of course the food was upgraded considerably and reports are that it's quite good.

Coral Isle Cafe.....not Coral Seas....well, duh. As I typed, it looked wrong but I was in a hurry. :badpc:

Thanks, Uncleromulus for helping this old memory! :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter