Arizona & Utah: Cowboys & Canyons (formerly Southwest Splendors) Meets Thread

Question: At the Grand Canyon, will ABD allow requests to NOT be booked at Thunderbird? I've read horrible reports about this hotel. Does anyone who has stayed recently have any updated info? Thanks.

We stayed last year and the room was clean and neat.Dated hotel but comfortable. BUT the view was AMAZING. Waking up and seeing the Grand Canyon from your window...can't beat it. That hotel is as close as you can get to the Canyon plus it has AIR CONDITIONING!!!! El Tovar not so much...We had a great time and it's wasn't about the hotels but the experience in our opinion. Any questions just ask.:)

Just called ABD, 80 days out. the 7/23/14 trip has a total of 18 guests, 7 adults and 11 kids ages 5-15. 4 families total. Sounds like a great, personal tour. I know ABD doesn't cancel after the 70 day mark, but any chance this small group will be canceled or regrouped to a different date? I know there are still a few trips priced cheaper, so they would have less in them.

Just called ABD, 80 days out. the 7/23/14 trip has a total of 18 guests, 7 adults and 11 kids ages 5-15. 4 families total. Sounds like a great, personal tour. I know ABD doesn't cancel after the 70 day mark, but any chance this small group will be canceled or regrouped to a different date? I know there are still a few trips priced cheaper, so they would have less in them.

We did this tour with only 16 people.

I hope not. We're on the 7/30/14 trip, and last I knew we only had 8 people booked. I just keep hoping ours doesn't get cancelled.

I think you're fine with 18 people. I've done multiple ABD's with 18 or less. (This trip with 14, Alaska with 15, and Greece with 18.)

I hope not. We're on the 7/30/14 trip, and last I knew we only had 8 people booked. I just keep hoping ours doesn't get cancelled.
I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed for you! I'm not sure what their minimum is. It seems to fluctuate. But I've only heard of one trip being cancelled in quite a long while.

Sayhello

Recommended reading? yes or no. I have been personally to Sedona and the Grand Canyon as I lived in the Southwest 2 years. This trip to show off the southwest to my boys and husband without having to do all the hard trip planning work myself-that and I'm looking forward to trail horseback riding and rafting on the river too!
Dh won't do any reading about upcoming trips. Ds 7 reads 3rd grade level. Has anyone done any of the recommended reading books for kids and if so, what did they get out of them other than building up to the trip?

Flying into phx the night before adventure...any recommendations for a hotel close to airport?

No, we get in 6 minutes before noon (coming from east coast) day of our adventure. Which one are you on, gav?

Flying into phx the night before adventure...any recommendations for a hotel close to airport?

On the advice of another Dis'er, we stayed at the Embassy Suites Phoenix-Tempe when we did this trip in 2011. They have a convenient shuttle from/to the airport. Very friendly, helpful staff. The rooms were large and comfortable. Free food and drinks at the manager's reception. When we were there, the food at the manager's reception was significant, and we didn't need to go out for dinner that evening. It was the 4th of July, so I don't know if it's always like that. It was a nice, relaxing way to start the trip.

We also stayed at the Tempe Embassy Suites the night before our adventure in June 2011. We lost a carry-on at the Atlanta airport, and the manager arranged for one of their shuttle drivers to take us to a nearby Target and CVS the next morning to replace some essential items. They were so helpful and hospitable.

alagille, our adventure only had 16 people, including the 2 guides. I never dreamed our trip would be a go with such a small group, but it did and it was great.

As far as reading for your son, what about Brighty of the Grand Canyon? It's a classic, and you could always read it aloud to him if the reading level is too difficult. I read it to my sons when they were younger, many years before our trip, but they remembered it and mentioned it several times as we hiked down into the Canyon.

we are on the 6/25-7/2 arizona/utah…flying in on 6/24 from the east coast
I've added you to the Roll Call on the first post. You'll be on the same trip as DISer kmc33 & family!

Sayhello

Hey Diane. You're within the 70 day no cancellation window, so just wondering if your trip is still a go.

Hey Diane. You're within the 70 day no cancellation window, so just wondering if your trip is still a go.

Hey Bobo,

Yep, we made it past the 70-day mark without a cancellation. I called ABD on Thursday and confirmed that we are still a go. 11 people booked at this point, and 6 of them are kids. Should be a great time! Thanks for checking in:thumbsup2

Hey Bobo,

Yep, we made it past the 70-day mark without a cancellation. I called ABD on Thursday and confirmed that we are still a go. 11 people booked at this point, and 6 of them are kids. Should be a great time! Thanks for checking in:thumbsup2
Oh, that's great to hear! Congrats, and ENJOY!!!!

Sayhello

Has anyone pre-booked dining at Chee ah chee or El Tovar?

I read on the boards that it was a good idea but Chee Ah Chee looks like it's unavailable and I am still more than 30 days out for El Tovar.

Will the guides have some reservations for us? I think at this point, I would just rather work through them and take my chances but would love to hear what others decided to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter