Are eyelash extensions worth it?

FairestOfThemAll37

DIS Veteran
So wasn't sure if I should post this in the BB or CB, but since cost is such a factor, here wins!

Anybody gotten eyelash extensions before? What do they run in you area? Do/did you keep them up? Were they worth it?

I love the idea of them. They are really expensive around here at $250+ for the initial set and then $75-$100/month for upkeep.

In my mind it's worth it and the pictures of them look Ah-may-zing, but not so sure of the reality.

Any first or second hand experience is appreciated :)

I got eyelash extensions before our last WDW trip. I got a deal on Groupon, but I'd go back and pay regular price if/when I do it again. I found my eyeliner stayed on longer and I liked not having mascara under my eyes halfway through the day. I really don't have the time/money to keep them up, but I liked having them for a trip/special occasion. BTW, I paid less than $100 on Groupon.

I've had eyelash extensions on and off for a couple of years. I love the way I look with them on! I suppose that's why I keep having them put back on.

Here's the thing, they require regular refills. They may say it lasts 4 weeks but I found that my lashes start to look odd after 3 weeks.

My biggest suggestion is to find an Xtreme Lash technician in your area. Of all the ones I've had applied, they hurt the least. Other generic brands burned when applied or itched after they had been applied.

Also, bring a photo of how you want your lashes to look. In my experience most technicians want to make me look like Kim Kardashian. Which just makes me look ridiculous. :)

Glad I came across this post. I've been considering eye lash extensions but I'm a little chicken about it. I heard that the glue they use can make your other lashes fall out?! I don't think I would keep the extensions, just for vacation. But I'm also thinking about just doing eye lash tinting.

I have had them several times thanks to my bestie who works in a plastic surgeons office. I love them so much but I don't like the upkeep, even at cost. I did Latisse for a while with great results but I started itching on my lash line and stopped it. I don't feel like either of those affected my lashes after I stopped using them.

The ladies I know who have them get them filled in every 2 weeks!!! I was shocked when I found out how much they cost. $150 a month is a lot of Disney money!!

I Love, Love the way they look! I do them off and on with time off to let my real lashes grow back. Yes I agree with one of the pp that after 10-14 days, you do need a refill cuz they look wonky. They start to come off or get loose. They do ask you what length you want, I would get medium. I loved the way they looked on me. I looked fresh in the morning and didn't need mascara or eye liner at all. A little eye shadow.

But after about 3 months, they do wear and tear on your real eye lashes; I barely had any left! Took A Couple of months to Regrow. I try to do them thru the holidays now or vacations.

AND yes, Pricey!

This is a budget board. There is just no way the answer should be yes.

Now, if you asked on a beauty board, I could understand some people would say yes- but I would still say no.

I just to throw it out there that being a professional doing eyelashes means you heard somebody talk about it and maybe tried once with supervision... so IME, there is really no reason why MOST people can't simply put them on themselves. Most professionals never learned it in school, they pick it up at a trade show where their training was watching somebody else do it once, trying a couple lashes and paying for a certificate- if they even both to try or pay at all. You can stop at pretty much any beauty supply or even many big box stores and pick up some glue, remover, tweezers and individual or small groups of lashes. Watch a couple youtube videos, practice on a fan brush or on a fake set of lashes and you are just as experienced as a professional the first dozen times they charge $$$$ to put them on. For the amount you will save you can probably even find a friend and practice on and pay each other the $250. Just remember, when one of you glues your top and bottom lashes together stay calm, they come right back apart easily and everybody does that.

I will add, if you are not a person accustomed to wearing a lot of makeup you will not only feel them, but see them and when they don't cost hundreds of dollars non-makeup people tend to want them back off. They are heavy so it's like a little workout for your eyelids. (For $250 your perspective changes so you would care less!) It's just something exciting and a little outside of a comfort zone so people charge insane amounts of money for it. It's $5 in materials and 10-15 minutes of time...

I just to throw it out there that being a professional doing eyelashes means you heard somebody talk about it and maybe tried once with supervision... so IME, there is really no reason why MOST people can't simply put them on themselves. Most professionals never learned it in school, they pick it up at a trade show where their training was watching somebody else do it once, trying a couple lashes and paying for a certificate- if they even both to try or pay at all. You can stop at pretty much any beauty supply or even many big box stores and pick up some glue, remover, tweezers and individual or small groups of lashes. Watch a couple youtube videos, practice on a fan brush or on a fake set of lashes and you are just as experienced as a professional the first dozen times they charge $$$$ to put them on. For the amount you will save you can probably even find a friend and practice on and pay each other the $250. Just remember, when one of you glues your top and bottom lashes together stay calm, they come right back apart easily and everybody does that.

I will add, if you are not a person accustomed to wearing a lot of makeup you will not only feel them, but see them and when they don't cost hundreds of dollars non-makeup people tend to want them back off. They are heavy so it's like a little workout for your eyelids. (For $250 your perspective changes so you would care less!) It's just something exciting and a little outside of a comfort zone so people charge insane amounts of money for it. It's $5 in materials and 10-15 minutes of time...

I don't know where people learned it or how much their materials cost, but I do know that the places I was looking take anywhere from 1.2-2hrs to put on a full set of lashes.

If I knew somewhere that could do it in 10-15min., I'd be inclined to pay more for saving me the time!

I guess I could see this working if you had a buddy to practice on. But there's no way that I could get one lash on one lash on my own face with one eye closed haha. Good for the people who can and spend big bucks.

This is a budget board. There is just no way the answer should be yes.

Now, if you asked on a beauty board, I could understand some people would say yes- but I would still say no.

Not sure I agree Iowajes. Heck if we went by that parameter DISNEY itself would be a big no.

Anyhoo, op this is one of those areas where "worth" is not only "dollars". I spend a lot on my hair, getting it colored and permed can easily set me back 400 bucks. I definitely know people who color their hair at home but I love the way my hair looks and how that makes me feel. so it's worth every dime I spend.

I don't have them but my stylist puts them on. I will say I've tried putting press on lashes, and it ain't as easy as it looks.

Not true. The training with Flutter Lash starts at $2,300 for the basic 2 day training. The cost and time go up for the more involved trainings.

I love them! But they *are* pricey. I generally save them for vacations and holidays. I feel like I look amazing. I also *do* fork out the money for it because I've tried using a less expensive tech and in this situation, it meant less experienced. (I looked wonky).
Things that I do to make them last: I wear goggles when I swim and I never put my face directly into the shower stream. I just gently wash my face using a flannel. It makes them last much longer. I also try not to get too sweaty. (Tough to do, I know).

Hope this helps.:hippie:

Well I went for it! Shelled out the $250 for a set. I tried groupon but couldn't get in touch with any of the salons so I decided not to pursue that route.

I now have to add $85 every three weeks or so into my budget lol. Not good budget timing as I have some hefty expenses coming up (2 vacations and a couple of dive weekends)!

Time to start looking at where to cut budget as these lashes aren't going anywhere!

YES!! I'm not sure where you live but there are some expenisve places here in NJ and also some cheap places. I've done it twice--once for a milestone B-day trip to Vegas with the girls and the last time for Disney :) They do individual lashes at my local nail salon for $25 and they lasted about 4 weeks. I had to remove them after about 3 weeks when I got tired of them an d they started to get a bit spotty, but i LOVE the look and my Memory Maker pics were awesome!

Latisse is another alternative. The lashes really do grow quickly! The only downfall is that the eyelashes go back to the way they were once you stop using Latisse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter