April Vacation Ideas East Coast but not Disney

blackpearl77

DIS Veteran
Hello,
Anyone have any ideas for April school vacation? We are going to do Disney next year April vacation. (I would go all the time if I had my way). We live in New England so want to get out of this area and head south. But thinking East Coast. My ideas so far are Outer Banks, NC with a trip to Ocracoke. (we are beach people and even go to the beach in the snow) My son is obsessed with pirates so I was thinking Blackbeard stuff. (we've done all the pirate museums in new england). But will anything even be open yet in April? Other thoughts are Williamsburg or Gettysburg. Just not sure of the weather - is it really rainy in April for outdoor exploring in PA, VA, NC? Sometimes we still have snow on the ground up here in April. I really want to try the Florida Keys but it's like pulling teeth getting my husband to go on vacation and he's leaning towards just driving somewhere so florida is a little far to drive. We go on vacation in the summer without him so have to include him this time. hehehe Any ideas???? Thanks!

Busch Gardens Williamsburg can be fun for a few days in April but the weather is highly unpredictable--could be 50 and raining or 80 and sunny.

We used to do the Outer Banks for Easter break every year while I was growing up. Everything should be open. You can get awesome rental houses for a great price that time of year. Although, most pools won't be open for the season yet.

We did DC during April vacation two year ago with our 9 year old and it was perfect! It was beautiful weather, very moderate for touring. Lots of fun places to explore. They do have a Pirate Ship in DC area. Take a drive out to Uvar-Hazy, amazing! Can stroll around Old Town Alexandria. Do the paddle boats. American History Museum. Get a National Parks passport for ds, and get it stamped at all of the monuments, etc. Visit the Zoo.

We stayed in National Harbor at the Wyndham (my parent gave us a timeshare week) and they have an indoor pool/hot tub. That was nice since the outdoor pool wasn't open yet. So I'd suggest someplace with an indoor pool. They also have movie nights, game nights, other contests and activities for kids, which is great. National Harbor is a short ride into the city, we chose to drive and use Parking Panda to reserve a great spot near where we were touring that day. And National Harbor is fun in and of itself, lots of shops, restaurants and things to see/do.

We are headed North this April to Montreal Canada. We live near Philadelphia.

I would recommend a DC/Nova trip or a Williamsburg/VA beach trip. Both would be perfect times to visit, especially Williamsburg which will be quieter, but quite beautiful weather-wise (average high 70, average low 48-50) for all sorts of touring...

FYI Busch Gardens will be open every day in April from 10am-8pm (and sometimes 10am-10pm) except April 24-27.

We did Williamsburg and Busch Gardens once for April Easter break and it was great. Weather was perfect.

April is a lovely time to visit Gettysburg! Williamsburg has a bit more to do since there are theme parks, but the hours might still be limited in April. You could easily do a couple of days in Gettysburg and then head south to DC and see the sights there. The Smithsonian museums are all free to visit, which is nice if you're on a budget.

Weather in April in NC is usually great - Wilmington has the azalea festival this year April 5-9, so we are in full spring by then. But the ocean is still COLD in April. If you want to guarantee warm ocean water in April, you probably need to head to Florida. But if you just want uncrowded beaches and warm air temperatures, April is great in NC!

Hilton Head Island came to mind but would be a longer drive than what's already been mentioned. DC is a good option and should have good weather, but depending on your dates, the Cherry Blossom Festival runs around that time. It's a pretty sight but with all the events and traffic, I wouldn't want to contend with it. We ended up in the midst of it one year by accident and really threw a wrench in our plans.

following along. I was hoping to do Disney in March or April, but the airfare and flights from PVD are not really sitting well with me.

Hilton Head Island came to mind but would be a longer drive than what's already been mentioned. DC is a good option and should have good weather, but depending on your dates, the Cherry Blossom Festival runs around that time. It's a pretty sight but with all the events and traffic, I wouldn't want to contend with it. We ended up in the midst of it one year by accident and really threw a wrench in our plans.

Cherry Blossom Festival is March 20-April 16 this year...it is really beautiful, but can bring the crowds...

We are in MA and are heading to Hilton Head Island for 10 days in April. We drive and go every April break since we visit my parents who live right near there. It is 16 1/2 hours for us. But we love a road trip!

I'm right outside of Philly and April can bring anything from snow to 95 degree weather!! I agree with PPs about Williamsburg/VA Beach area. SO many things to do. Another option is to look out for cruises that leave NY. There may be one that interests you!

ETA: If you decide on Williamsburg, we stayed at the Colonies at Williamsburg in Oct. They have an awesome outdoor pool (if it's warm enough) and a fun indoor one as well. They are 2 bedroom/ 2 bath suites with a full kitchen. Great if you're on a long trip and need to save $$.

Last edited:
Another vote for Williamsburg! We did an extended weekend there in June and want to go back and do a full week sometime.

We are in New England too. NH to be exact! We have been to all of the places mentioned and mostly went to Disney for April vacation. But, one year we did Philly, Valley Forge and then Hershey Park. My boys were in 6th and 9th grade on that trip and loved it! You would need to check the opening dates for Hershey. The year we did that trip, we went to Hershey on the one of the first days it was open. We then wanted to go the following year, but the opening happened after our April break. All good suggestions above too!

We love the outer banks, and we used to go twice a year. However, the couple times we went in April we didn't find it as enjoyable. Yeah, it's the beach and the weather was nice, but there was no swimming. We used to go mid May and while quite cold you could still swim. April the water was just way too cold. If you're ok just sitting on the beach all day or sightseeing it's good though. However, I would personally save that for some warmer weather and do a more attractions kind of trip.

My brother lived near Williamsburg for years. It would be a great time to visit. I was never there around Easter so crowds may be high if that's when you're going, but we found spring and fall awesome there. The weather is awesome and traffic isn't bad yet (summer in the Hampton roads area I hated for driving). It's been a while since I've been to D.C. but that would be a good visit too. Plenty of things to do (and alot free).

If it were me, I'd spend a few days in Williamsburg, then a few days in D.C. You could spend a week either place, but doing both would be a nice trip I would think.

Thanks everyone!! I agree - I think if we found a hotel with an indoor pool that would be ideal!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter