Anyone have experience with Camp Jellystone's near Smokey Mts?

nessz79

DIS Veteran
We're thinking about what we're going to do next summer. We may not have our RV- depending on whether or not we sell it. However, we still want to camp via cabins for now.

We were thinking of Camp Jellystone...either the one in Gatlinburg, or the one in Cherokee, NC. Both have reasonable cabins. According to rvparkrevies.com, Gatlinburg one seems to be nicer.

It'd probably be 5-7 days for us with our 2 little boys. They will be 6 and 4 (though nearly 5) at that time.

Or any other campgrounds that are kid-friendly with cabin rentals near the area?

Thanks!

haven't stayed at a Jellystone before. But we stayed at the Cherokee KOA a few years ago. When stayed in a kampin cabin (just beds, and electricity, no toilets or fridge. We went over spring break. Our kids really enjoyed the indoor pool and the jumping pillow. Have fun planning.

We arrive at Jellystone on Oct 10th for 3 days. So I have no idea what the place is like other than it is damn expensive for a campground not located inside Disney. For our 2 nights it was over 100+ dollars. Our stay at Disney is only 240.00 for over twice the time.

I am from Asheville and when we had infants, we tended to camp REALLY close to home! I can't speak to the Jellystone but I have heard good things about it. I spent my youth camping at both KOA in Cherokee and our family favorite, Adventure Trail Campground. Adventure trail is family owned and FEELS it;)

We have stayed at both Natural Bridge Jellystone, and Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg Jellystone, and liked them both. The one in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, if I remember correctly seemed to have smaller sites, we preferred to stay closer to the shopping so we usually stay in town at the KOA. The grandkids like the fact that Yogi and Boo Boo, would come around to the campsites, and visit. The campgrounds were clean, and well run.

Jellystone Gatlinburg is one of our favorite campgrounds. Please dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions. Be sure to get a map and take the backway if you go to Pigeon Forge. You will bypass all of the traffic.

This is the 3rd season that the Landry family has owned the Jellystone. They are super people and they run a great campground.

Are you referring to here:

http://www.greatsmokyjellystone.com/

We stayed there this past June. Nice place, but if you just get a regular site, they are small. We got a double site, I think they called them a premium site for $10 more a night (I think it was $54/night) and it just got us the site right next to us so we had 2 sites together. That gave us a little breathing room. Even with that, it was one of the smallest sites we have camped on (we camp in state parks in Indiana and Michigan). We had a creekside site and the kids liked that. The sites look like they had just put down new stone, no grass. But it was better then a dirt site! My only major complaint is it is about 15 miles away from Gatlinburg which made for long drives every day.

unfortunately, the Gatinburg/Pigeon Forge area campgrounds are not known for large site sizes. It is a bit of a drive. However, it is a traffic free drive to Gatlinburg or the grocery store. Then there is the "back way" to Pigeon Forge which is also traffic free. I prefer the longer but quicker drive over sitting in a traffic jam. Also, I prefer the shady more "state park" feel of Jellystone over the parking lot feel that many many of the campgrounds in the area have. And, we like the owners alot. It all depends on what your looking for. Oh, and I really like NOT having to fight the traffic trying to get into Sevierville/Pigeon Forge to get to the campground. Also, my kids really enjoy the activities at Jellystone.

We also love the Townsend area. That too is a bit of a drive into Pigeon Forge. But it is a traffic free drive through a beautiful area. And, we come in through Maryville and bypass the traffic jam in to Sevierville/Pigeon Forge.
You are very close to the Park and Cades Cove there as well.

We also really like the Elkmont Campground in the Park.

unfortunately, the Gatinburg/Pigeon Forge area campgrounds are not known for large site sizes. It is a bit of a drive. However, it is a traffic free drive to Gatlinburg or the grocery store. Then there is the "back way" to Pigeon Forge which is also traffic free. I prefer the longer but quicker drive over sitting in a traffic jam. Also, I prefer the shady more "state park" feel of Jellystone over the parking lot feel that many many of the campgrounds in the area have. And, we like the owners alot. It all depends on what your looking for. Oh, and I really like NOT having to fight the traffic trying to get into Sevierville/Pigeon Forge to get to the campground. Also, my kids really enjoy the activities at Jellystone.

We also love the Townsend area. That too is a bit of a drive into Pigeon Forge. But it is a traffic free drive through a beautiful area. And, we come in through Maryville and bypass the traffic jam in to Sevierville/Pigeon Forge.
You are very close to the Park and Cades Cove there as well.

We also really like the Elkmont Campground in the Park.

Is there any decent Outlet shopping in teh area? Our oldest daughter needs some new indoor gym shoes for school so we told her we could have a look while we were in Tenn and GA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter