Anyone back from Ireland yet?

AZ Mom

But it's a dry heat
Would love to hear about your trip! What do you think of the new itinerary? Any suggestions for future travelers?

TIA!

I too am interested in hearing from anyone who has done this trip this year. We leave the 24th with a prenight in Dublin so we should have most of the 25 and the 26th to explore before the welcome gathering. We will have some time to explore on our own but don't want to see things that will be done on the trip. My Mom is 80, very healthy and active but walking in not her forte-I don't want to wear her out before we even start. I know we will explore close to the hotel but any suggestions on what to see in the city or a day trip to take outside the city before our official trip starts. I am so busy working to be ahead before we leave that I have not been able to research much. Is there a 1/2 or full day guided tour of Dublin you would recommend-the hop off hop on kind-we did that in Munich on our extra day after our Germany trip in 2008. How about the amount of walking throughout the trip?

Any tips would be appreciated-as well as the weather you experienced. Haven't even thought of packing yet-shorts, capris, jeans....fleece vest or jackets...rain gear?

Hi
We did Ireland last year with our free time in Dublin we did Kilmainham Gaol (prison that housed political prisoners) very interesting -but not walking distance to the hotel (you could get a cab if you are interested)

We also did 29 house (a georgian town house you tour ) and walked around St Stevens Green (beautiful park with lots of statues and memorials). I think we walked -but it took a little while.

Grafton Street is very close to the hotel for shopping. I liked getting some cookies and candies in the Marks and Spencer food section that we don't have here.

Unless it has changed from last year -you don't go inside of Christ Church Cathedral- if we had time I wished we had went back on our own to see the inside.

It was a great trip. I understand the itinerary has changed some and the end of the trip- you will have a great time

If you have any more questions ask

I didn't answer the weather question. Last year it was warmish.60s-70s for much of the time.

I would do layers. Capris or lightweight pants with a short sleeve shirt and a sweater or fleece over it. A raincoat or jacket to leave on the bus. Rock of Cashel was very windy and the boat ride (is that still on the itinerary?) was windy too.
We had one rainy day -but I understood that was unusual-there are often more.

My nicer outfit was long sleeved -and I was hot the last night in the castle (no AC at the castle or at the Irish dinner show)

I hope this helps!

Would love to hear about your trip! What do you think of the new itinerary? Any suggestions for future travelers?

TIA!

I also did Ireland last year (with clarabelle actually! hi!:flower3:). You will not be disappointed! I'm wondering how did the itinerary change?

Weather-wise, it ended up being much warmer than I had expected so I would definitely pack light layers if I were going again this year. light pants, capris, short sleeve shirts with jackets. And comfy shoes.

We also flew in a day early and had a free day to ourselves. We did the hop on hop off bus tour and took it to the Dublin Zoo. We ended up spending almost all day there before our welcome dinner - it was a lot of fun! Our arrival day, we spent walking Grafton Street and St. Stephen's Green. Just getting our bearings basically. I highly recommend Queen of Tarts - I'm blanking now on the street name but it is within walking distance of the Westin. Yummy Yummy treats! You could probably google it as well. Have a great great time!

Ok, just went to ABD website to see the itinerary. I have to say based on what we experienced last year (which was phenomenal!), I am pretty pleased with the changes. I loved Killarney but would have loved more group time at the castle.

We didn't go to Ireland with ABD :-)scared1:)--but we did spend a couple of days in Dublin before we went on our tour--and the best things we did: used the HOHO bus, walked walked walked and spent time with the Book of Kells (although I imagine the last item is part of the ABD, yes?) I loved Dublin--all of Ireland really--and from what I saw, the ABD trip looks great!

I just got back from the June 26 trip to Ireland. It was great. Fabulous weather ( we got a little rain one day but most days were sunny and in high 60's). The group was 40 wonderful people with Jennae and Courtney as our guides. We did a preday in Dublin-did the hop on hop off bus which is good for 24 hours-so we went out our arrival day around 2pm (after a 2 hour nap and lunch) and rode the circle and then took it the next morning and went to the National Museum of Ireland. Our first evening we arranged the "Food, Folklore and Fairies" dinner at the Brazen Head (Dublin's oldest pub) with a storyteller. It was a great way to start the trip-great food and stories. I would highly recommend it.

If you have any specific questions I will be happy to comment but I will not be doing a trip report-too much work to get back to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter