Anxiety/ panic attacks in 3 y/o?

TheLittleRoo

DIS Veteran
Lately, DS3 has started becoming very nervous and sometime downright panicky when we take him to crowded settings. Simple things, like a restaurant for dinner, will get him whimpering, then whining, then crying, then pleading, then downright becoming short of breath.

One time, I took him to the ladies room where he calmed down (was beet-faced and sobbing) but upon returning to the table, he started all over again. We eventually left (couldn't leave straight out, b/c the server had JUST taken our order... what a nightmare of embarrassment for me!)

He'll get in the car and almost immediately start saying "I wanna go home". He'd rather go home than play at McD's.

Any ideas what might be causing this fear of loud noises, strange places, etc? He's also deathly afraid of thunderstorms, rain, fireworks, loud speakers, etc. I looked at the list of autism symptoms, b/c it seemed to be one of them, but he doesn't have any other major symptoms consistent with that spectrum.

I'm almost ready to book an appt with the pediatrician, but thought I'd put this out there to see what other moms might think too. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Could be sensory disorder. Try reading the Out of Sync Child from your local library.

And yes, talk to your ped about it.

i have four year old twin girls and one " i think" has anxiety? i just recently was diagnosed and now when i look back at my childhood i see that i had it back then also just not as pronounced as adulthood. we would go on vacation or basically anywhere away from home where we had to stay over night and i would get stomach aches and would want to be home instead. i see my daughter doing the same things. if its too crowded or noisy she asks to be picked up and then starts nagging me about when we are going home. when we are home and shes playing or doing something she enjoys she tells me she loves being home and never wants to go out again? i try and soothe her when we are out..i distract, or try give her an idea about how much longer we are gonna be and whats going to happen hour by hour. this tends to calm her down a bit. i wish my mom would have recongnized my symptoms back then instead of just telling me "you ate too much". definently research anxiety in children and the check out what the last poster said. good luck!

Hi i am so sorry that your son is feeling this way. My 5 yo DD has had anxiety/panic attacks since about 3...she was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety disorder. There was actually a period of about 3 weeks where she wouldn't leave the house..it is horrible. My Mom has GAD just like Kendyll so it is nice to have someone who actually goes through it explain what she is feeling and ways to work through it.
There is times when she, like your son, has a panic attack while we are out...the best thing to do is IMMEDIATELY remove them from the situation and take them somewhere quiet, or outside to get air. Talk at his level (eye to eye)in a soft calming voice and tell him to breathe in his nose, out his mouth and relax. Sometimes i tell her to take all the bad feelings she is feeling and throw them into space...we sometime pretend to gather them up and throw them away..if nothing else it takes her mind off of it and she will laugh (or at least smile:) )
Please feel free to PM me..there is so much that i can talk about....i hope he can overcome this quickly, it is a very hard thing to deal with...Big Hugs to both of you!!!

Go see the doctor. It may be an irritating phase (crossed fingers) or it may be something more serious. Your pediatrician is a really good resource right now. I would definitely get the kiddo checked out, just in case.

Here's hoping he's just being a PITA because he's 3. :cutie:

Dealing with this now with my DS7 and I have been trying to get his pediatrician to understand and help for the past 3 years. The doctor finally said, ok, now is time to see a psychiatrist to talk about getting meds when I told him DS was worried about the FCAT test (which he won't take for 2 years) and saying he couldn't go to school.

I have done everything I can do, and the last straw was going to the bokstore to find a book on how to help kids deal with anxiety and my son being afraid of the book because he didn't know what it was going to say he had to do to feel better.

I have anxiety disorder, and have had it since I was young. So, I believe there is a genetic link and doctors need to be more quick to help young kids.

Get an appointment with a Dr. and don't let them brush you off. It does sound like he has Sensory Issues Defiantly read The Out of Sync Child. It will help you look at things from his point of view. I could never figure out why my daughter would get agitated in Wal-mart and Old Navy until and adult with sensory issues said Wal-mart was like being put into the speaker at a rock concert and Old Navy was worse because of the lights and the music.

One last scenario before I conclude anything:

I took him to see Speed Racer last night, very stimulating visually and very loud. He absolutely LOVED IT! Sat in his own chair beaming and yelling "Go! Fight! Go! Fight!" It was over 1.5 hours of loud noise and he did very well.

So, if it comes and goes, could he still have anxiety disorder, or is he manipulating the environment because he hates going to restaurants? He does have to sit quietly and eat/ play for the length of the meal... which does not = fun in his world.

Makes me say, hmmmmm...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter