Anxiety! Overload! Sheer Excitement! HELP!!!

klitteral2009

Mouseketeer
We are only 33 DAYS away from our very first WDW family vacation!!! *waits for the ovation to die down* Somehow, inexplicably, I am totally overwhelmed and not feeling much joy! :confused3 I've planned our ADR's, made the last payment on our reservation, bought the books, lived on the DIS for two months, started packing lists and touring plans...I just kind of, broke. How do you deal with this type of ridiculous lack of happiness? Perhaps its the stress of the holiday...the stress of my grandmother being diagnosed as terminally ill last week...i dont know, but I need to get in the right frame of mind! I'm calling on you, fellow DISers...help a Mama out! Been considering maybe a PTR to organize all my info in one place and get it all out that way? If anyone can help, I know it's you wonderful people here on the DIS :littleangel:

Dang...46 views and no one has an encouraging word...bummer :confused:

Haha! It's hard being the mama isn't it. Im guessing its kind of like planning a wedding. You put so much into it that you start to forget what its all about. Its about you and your family. You get to spend some really great time together. You'll have an awesome time. I'm extremely jealous.

Some words of advice:

Don't expect your family to appreciate all you've done. They have no idea what it takes to put all this together.

Don't expect perfection.

Take time to stop and smell the roses.

pixiedust: Have fun!!!!!!!

You hear this a lot on the Dis. After all the planning and research you get close to the trip and the "bottom falls out" It is probably a result of there is nothing to do now but wait, no more plans to be made, no more ADRs needed, nothing, just waiting.
The excitement will return, sometimes it happens before you go and sometimes not until you get there but it will return.

Relax and enjoy your trip!

Haha! It's hard being the mama isn't it. Im guessing its kind of like planning a wedding. You put so much into it that you start to forget what its all about. Its about you and your family. You get to spend some really great time together. You'll have an awesome time. I'm extremely jealous.

Some words of advice:

Don't expect your family to appreciate all you've done. They have no idea what it takes to put all this together.

Don't expect perfection.

Take time to stop and smell the roses.

pixiedust: Have fun!!!!!!!

Thank you! I have been trying to condition myself that things are going to happen and plans are going to go to the wind...its ok...so hopefully when we get there all my planning and info gathering here on the DIS will pay off and I'll be able to handle anything thrown at us :)

You hear this a lot on the Dis. After all the planning and research you get close to the trip and the "bottom falls out" It is probably a result of there is nothing to do now but wait, no more plans to be made, no more ADRs needed, nothing, just waiting.
The excitement will return, sometimes it happens before you go and sometimes not until you get there but it will return.

Relax and enjoy your trip!

I dont think I could have said it more perfectly...the bottom has totally fallen out. I think I keep looking to plan more things and there is truly very little else to plan. I'm thinking of putting together a binder for the trip...nothing huge and bulky but something handy to keep in my bag for reference as far as ADR's, park hours, parade times, etc.

I'm not a mom, but I do plan Disney trips for myself and my husband when we go, and I totally know how you're feeling right now! I get all excited and plan away, and then suddenly around 2 weeks before we leave, I just... pop. I feel all weird since I'm not excited anymore, and it's disappointing. For me, though, I usually get excited again like 2 days before the trip, or right when I see the gates to The World. I think it feels even more awesome since I was so worried before that I wasn't excited! XD

It also helps this year that my husband is really looking forward to our trip. Sometimes he comes home and says something like "I can't WAIT for Disney!" and I feel a little tingle of excitement. :) Another fun thing to do to recapture some of your energy is to read other stories or planning threads and do a little vicarious living!

Anyway, don't worry too much. It'll probably hit you again all at once and you'll be even more excited than your kids!

Kind of sounds to me like maybe you just need a little vacation planning vacation. Take a break. Leave the Dis for a week (easier said than done!). But do it. Try not to do any vacation related thing for an entire week. You may find that it is a welcome respite to think about other things, and the excitement will slowly crawl back in while you're not focusing on trying to be excited. Guaranteed in a week or two you will be itching to get back on here with refreshed enthusiasm for your vacation.

Also focus on the Holidays and after all that holiday stress clears up I'm sure your vacation excitement will grow exponentially. Also, sorry to hear about your grammy.

I just got back from my first trip. I was completely addicted to planning, looked at all angles, printed out Robo's maps, had touring plans. Did a powerpoint presentation showing what attractions we would visit each day.

Then I hit that lull too. The trip is soon, but not soon enough to pack, too late to make any meaningful changes because I'd developed and changed so many versions of what resulted in a really good touring schedule.

So, thankfully Thanksgiving came to the rescue! I hosted, and had that to plan, then I had to get all the gifts done because my return date was only 2 1/2 weeks until Christmas.

You'll be happy you have all this planned and ready. I hope you're equally happy to throw it out the window as magic happens to you. I went there with an amazingly detailed plan, and willingness to disregard it as needed. Most of the time we were doing what we planned to do. Sometimes we did better stuff, sometimes we skipped stuff altogether as the kids slowed down toward the end of the week.

You'll be happy about it when you're there. Try to enjoy Christmas, and support your grandmother in any way you can, and when the trip gets here, the joy will be here too.

Kind of sounds to me like maybe you just need a little vacation planning vacation. Take a break.

I agree with this! I generally start to realy 'feel' it much closer to our trip dates..... but then, I don't typically plan too very far in advance. This time around I took time for ME so that I wouldn't be the most stressed out person in our party when the Big Day finally arrived. I did at-home facials, pedicures, dyed my eyelashes, scheduled an acupuncture treatment, took an extra yoga class, etc. etc. etc. I even planned an impromptu Girls Nite Out with all of my friends so that I could blow off some non-Mom steam before the trip. It worked out great! ;)

I think you are all right! I think I'm going to take the advice and leave the Dis for about a week :scared1: Thanks for all the encouragement friends...it truly helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter