Anxiety about flying

toulousaine

Earning My Ears
:( :( :( I haven't flown since Sept 10, 2001. We made it home by the skin of our teeth. We were one of the last flights back into the States before the 9/11 tragedy. Needless to say, it really affected us.....

Traveling is our hobby as a family, and we've booked a week at DW. So, I should be excited! :confused:

I am a nervous wreck. I can't imagine getting on a plane again, let alone with my daughter and new baby (who, by the way, has never had a trip yet)

We live in the PacNW, so driving is NOT an option! It takes 4 days of SOLID driving to get there from here. Our baby can't go across town without protesting his carseat.

My friend who booked the trip with us is now considering not going because she just can't get over HER anxiety about flying.

Anyone else going thru this?????????????????????????????

:confused:

Disnee Dad Says....................................I don't like flying, but have done it a couple dozen times. I will not fly on small planes, when they make hard turns, I feel a tailspin coming on that never happens. 9/11 had the opposite affect on me that it had on you. We went to WDW November 2001, and I felt defiant, rather than make me worry, I wanted to fly more than ever!
Now, on trips I sweat the first 3 or 4 minutes and then I feel ok.
Did you know flying is safer than driving? I heard this for years, and thought flying was maybe 5 or 10 times safer than driving, which would be very good. Just last week I found out that flying is 100 times safer than driving!
Relax, and go for it. Flying has never been safer in our history.

I am a nervous flyer and my DD-15 is too. DH does ok and my DS-5 thinks planes go too slow and is bored to a tree. We fly every year (going again in 1 1/2 weeks!) and we just deal with it. I agree with disneeyfamily. The first 5 mins and last 5 mins I am nervous and after that I am fine. I'm too busy worrying about DD getting airsick and DS being bored. I'm sure you'll be fine looking after your babies. I have on occasion had a nice glass of wine right before the flight. Very relaxing.

I'm afraid that I can't help you. But I understand how you feel. I absolutely dread getting on a plane. It's not exciting for me...it just petrifies me. I get so shaky, nervous and anxious. I try to hide it from my kids, but I'm sure they pick up on it. They are 6 and 10 years old. I know all the facts...I know that statistically flying is safer than driving. It is all in my head and I have to control my fear. I think I may try to take Tylenol PM before this trip so that I can sleep thru most of the flight.
Strangely enough, I worked for for an airline 8 years ago and used to fly all the time....for fun!

Flying doesn't trill me either. We flew to Italy this past summer (9 hours plus changing planes in Rome), it was our first time since 9/11. I have to say it was a great flight. So going to Disney should be a piece of cake! I feel that if we go at least we'll all be together.

My friend says that when she flys she just pictures a halo around the plane and the wings, and it makes her feel better. My sister-in-law has to take Xanex when she flys, or she can't get on the plane.

Talk to your doctor. They have a couple different options for you. Mine has always been very willing to help me ease my anxiety.

I've flown 3 times since 9/11 -- twice with my kids. Airport security has been tightened so much since 9/11. Every time I've flown it's been tighter than the time before. You're MUCH safer flying now than you were on 9/10. Yes, there's always risk, but there is no such thing as a life without risk. You could hide yourself and your kids in your house, and there would still be risk.

I was very concerned the first time we flew after 9/11. It was just two weeks later, and I was afraid that I'd get on the plane, think about the mothers on the 9/11 planes, and have an emotional breakdown. I even remember posting here about my fear. As it turned out I was so busy dealing with the kids that I didn't have time to have a breakdown.

I have never worried much about flying, it seems to BIG of a thing to worry about, and I leave it up to God. I try to save worrying for things I can has some control over. This helps me relax (and enjoy getting to my vaction destination in 2 hours instead of 24!)

I remember going to a seminar by a psychologist that works with difficult kids. (I am a social Worker) and he was describing the difficult time he has going on airplanes. He was making a big deal out of taking to the pilot and instructing him to be careful on flying the plane. The pilot then told him "Hey buddy, I want to get there safely too." This was a great revelation for him. "THE PILOT ALSO WAN'TS TO BE SAFE." There are a great many safety factors in place. Even more now.

I understand your anxity. You may have some Post Traumatic Stress Disorder over this. If it continues talk to your Dr. Don't cancel your trip unless you have to. Facing fears can help us feel better, but don't do it alone if you need some help!!!

The Fear Of Flying is a life-affecting condition that I see happening in people who do the least amount of flying. What can I say, if you knew all the security and technology protections that exist today as a result of 9/11 you would likely think differently. Let me try to inform you about them:

1) Every bag is thoroughly X-rayed by Transportation Security Administration staff (TSA). The TSA examines all checked luggage, all carry-ons, and also scans passengers at security check points in all US airports. No one is getting through security with items that contributed to the 9/11 catastrophe. Even things as innocuous as nail clippers are being banned.

2) Cockpit security is very advanced. My airline in particular has gone through the expense of equipping every cockpit doorway with triple electric deadbolt locks and fracture resistent linings. In addition there are a myriad of visual and audio communication devices that contribute to improved knowledge of what is happening in the cabin during flight.

3) Aircraft are so much more powerful, reliable, and safe compared to flight travel at any other time in our history. The advances in automation in the cockpit, safety equipment on board, training of flight and inflight crews, all speak of the emphasis on safety. Heck, I've been flying over 10 years and have yet to have anything serious occur (knock on wood). Planes "dropping out of the sky" just does not happen.

I could go on, but will leave you with this thought: Never has anyone been safer to fly in our skies than at this point in time. We have learned from our mistakes, a costly one at that, and are moving on. Enjoy your flight to WDW, knowing that you and your family are experiencing one of the most amazing accomplishments that human-kind has achieved: flight!

I'm not the original poster, but I want you all to know that this information has helped to relieve some of my anxiety. I think I will print out a few of the replies and just have them handy so I can re-read them on the flight when I start to get anxious. Thank you.

Xanax, Wine, or as one poster said, Tylenol PM. Last year on our trip to Disney World, I did all three (I know, I know) and lived to tell about it.

Hi! I am what the airlines call a "feaful flyer." I couldnt get to my Dr. in time for one flight and he suggested taking 3 benadryl to knock me out. Well I was so nervous, they didnt take affect until after takeoff (When I become extremely terrified!) and then I felt so tired, but I couldnt get comfortable enough to sleep. I was miserable! Never again will I do that!

People always ask me "is this your first flight" and I laugh because I have been flying at least once a year, if not more since I was very young. I've even been to Europe twice! I won't let my fear of flying keep me away from enjoying myself! (I'm going to WDW in March and May, flying both times, even if we are at war! I'm not cancelling and letting the "terrorists" win by keeping me in the house!!!!!!!)

I know people say "it is safer than driving" but I'm sure like me, that does nothing for you! Here are some things that help me!

Talking to the people around me during takeoff really helps me calm down! One trip (my first flight after 9/11...in July!) I started crying histerically! I was sobbing and saying things like "help me jesus, and save me God" repetitively! My DBF just kept saying "stop it, your making people stare, your making us look stupid!" Well the nice guy next to him (or just cause he was annoyed!) started talking to me and it calmed me down. Same thing the last time I flew, I struck up a conversation with two people in my row and one in the row in front of me. It helped alot since I was flying alone. (and I didnt feel so bad when it was turbulent and I grabbed the hand of the guy beside me!)

I also ask to meet the pilot now. I'm not sure why, but that helps a lot.

I also asked one time how many flights were in the air at a time (crashing into another plane doesnt scare me for some reason). But knowing how many planes fly a day really helped me put the crash/hijack thing in perspective. The pilot told me out of Charlotte NC alone there are 500 flights a day. (Don't know if this is accurate but it helped me!) I figured if there were 500 flights a day just from Charlotte alone, imagine how many there are in the world in a day!

I congratulate anyone who is scared, but gets on a plane anyway! It is a tough thing to do, but it just shows how strong you are! (Also, I dont drive because that would take 4 days from my Disney vacation, and I can be scared for 6 hours to have 4 extra days of fun!)

I hope some of those suggestions help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter