Another way to do Mickey Tie Dye

abcangie87

Mouseketeer
Every year when we go on vacation, I have our family do at least one day of matching t-shirts. I think it's fun, it makes for cute pictures, and it helps keep track of everyone. Sometimes I have MIL embroider something for us, sometimes I buy matching shirts from Disney store...last year I did the tie-dye shirts.

I had found the thread on here with the directions on how to do the tie-dye Mickey tshirts, and I made about 14 of them. They turned out cute. But I found another way to do this, and thought I'd share with you. It is based on the concept of batik (I think that is what it is called, could be wrong).

What you need:
Cotton tshirt or tank
Fabric dyes in the color of your choice
Blue-Gel Elmers glue

Lay your tshirt flat, and using the blue-gel glue, draw your shape on the shirt. Since we're talking Mickey shirts here, do a Mickey! I keep one of the auto-emblems laying around because I've found it's quite handy for tracing a mickey shape on things!
tiedye1.jpg

I put a bead of glue over the emblem then pressed it onto the shirt to do a transfer of the shape. Then I went over it again with another fine bead of the glue.
tiedye2.jpg

Let the glue dry for several hours. At this point, prepare the shirt for tie-dying. I was doing the spiral pattern, so I pinched the shirt at the Mickey and twisted clockwise until it was coiled up nicely. Secure it with several rubber bands. If you don't want multi-color, you can just take the shirt without rubber-banding it at all and soak it right into a sink full of prepared dye (cold) for about 6 minutes or so.

Back to the tie-dying... I like to put my dye in squirt bottles, and wearing rubber gloves is handy! Working over a stainless steel sink or out in the backyard with your white dog still locked in the house (or he's likely to turn a color...I'm just saying...) add the color to your shirt. The color will soak in better if you have dampened the shirt first.
tiedye3.jpg

Squeeze the excess out of the shirt, remove rubber bands, and lay out flat to dry. This few hours will allow the color to soak into the shirt. Now, at this point, I decided that the Mickey shape was not dark enough with the tie-dying, so I took my red squeeze bottle and just filled in the Mickey shape a little more. (Put a walmart sack in between the layers so you don't mess up the back of the shirt pattern).

After several hours, rinse the shirt in soapy warm water to remove the glue, then throw it in the wash machine with cold water and detergent, and wash and dry as normal.

Here is my finished product. I would make sure to saturate the dye colors a little better next time, but you get the gist. If I had just soaked the whole shirt in one color, then you'd see the Mickey outline as you see it here. The glue keeps the shape from dying.
tiedye4.jpg

Anyways, just thought I'd share. LOVED The original Mickey Tie-dye tutorial I found on here, but this one might be easier for the kids to help with, and the options are really endless with what you could write with your blue-glue!

Good luck if you try it out!

You can do this with coloring book images too. Just place the image under the shirt and trace it onto the shirt with a pencil. Put your glue into a super fine tipped paint bottle from the craft store and go over your pencil lines. Then dye (I use the dye in a spray can, it is super easy and no mess!) and launder the shirt once or twice.

CloseDaisy-1.jpg

Great idea guys! I have yet to do tie dying with DS but I remember having so much fun with it as a child and he loves arts and crafts so I bet he'd get a kick out of this for our upcoming trick.

Also, OP, if your white dog does happen to get out while you're tie dying, make sure to take pics and post 'em here! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter