Another Stroller Question....

thr33boys

DIS Veteran
We are heading to the World in November for our 1st family trip and I can't seem to decide how to handle the stroller situation. My middle one will be a new 5 year old and my youngest will be 3 1/2 (close to 4). We haven't used a stroller in over a year but I realize, I'll need one in Disney.

While I know renting one offsite is cheapest and a more comfortable ride, I kind of like the idea of renting one in Disney so we don't have to lug it around on the buses. Of course, the other drawback to renting in Disney is having to return it after the fireworks.

Just not sure what to do. :confused3 Any advice?

TIA.

we rented from orlando strollers. for us it was more about comfort for the kids. the disney ones are the hard plastic ones. for us it was not an option since both kids fell asleep at some point. or one would fall asleep and the other side would have an extra bag or backpack. If you get the mini's, they really aren't bad to deal with getting on and off the bus. just my two cents! :)

We rented from orlando strollers too. It is much much cheaper than the in park ones, so having to lug it with us is worth it..plus if the little ones fall asleep in it we dont have to wake them to leave the park at night. And they recline, so much more likely that they WILL be able to nap if they need to. Plus since it was so much cheaper if we dont need it I wont feel bad just leaving it at the hotel...unlike if we prepay for a week of in park ones and not use them :)

If you rent in the parks and then park hop, you also have to return it, park hop, then get a new one...the strollers are a pain! Plus, it's nothing more than a flat piece of plastic! We always bring our own from home. We rented a toddler bed (same setup as the strollers) and had a great experience, so I wouldn't be personally against renting a stroller from them in the future. We've just never needed to. Kingdom Strollers is the other biggie down there.

Last time we went to Disney we had a 3 and 5 year old, and I too was torn about the stroller issue. We did not have a double, barely used the single, and did not want to buy a new one just for Disney. I did not like the idea of having to return a Disney rented stroller every time we left the park. I did not love the idea of paying $85 to rent a stroller from an outside rental agency either.

After doing a ton of research, I decided to look around for a used Combi Double Stroller. We found a used one for $90 and that is what we used in Disney for the week. Yes, we fly there with it. I cannot say enough positive things about this stroller!!! So EASY to open, so EASY and fast to close, is lightweight for a double, has a shoulder strap when it is closed. I ended up using it more than I thought I would after the trip just b/c it was so easy to haul around. I have never posted pictures on here but I can try to do so if you would like. We just booked a trip to Disney for Oct. and our girls are now 7 and 4. We are bringing the same stroller! My 4 year old still takes naps and will stay asleep in that stroller for hours.

The other reason I would recommend renting one from an offsite company (we have used Orlando Stroller Rentals every time we have done it) is because it allows you to put your kids in the stroller during the mad rush of people out of the parks at the end of the night. This is one of the most dangerous times when you could potentially lose them in a crowd, and I prefer to have them right in front of me where I can see them. My main reasons for getting a stroller, even having older kids (3 and 6) is for security in case of large crowds and in case I ever need to get someplace quickly and want to hustle - much easier if the kids are in a stroller.

The City Mini double strollers are quite easy to fold quickly and hop onto a bus.

Unless you want to carry your kids from the park entrance, to the busses, and then into your hotel (which can be a HUGE walk depending on where your room is) I would not rent at Disney.... my 5yo passed out in our rented City Mini more than my 2.5yo twins did.... and usually it was on our way to the bus, or into our hotel.

We have a 6,8 and 10 year old.

We rented from Orlando strollers - a double.

It was great! Not too bad on the bus. 1 of us dealt with the stroller and the other got the kids on the bus.

I'd rent offsite. The strollers are just so much more comfy than the Disney strollers. Plus, you will already have it and not have to stop in the mornings to pick one up!

The last time we were there, my boys were 6, 4 and 2 (the 2 and 4 year olds had birthdays shortly after so they were close to 3 and 5) and we did not get a stroller. We were there for a week and they did fine. The youngest did whine a little now and again as it got later and we'd trade off carrying him for a little while. But in reality, you are going to sit on rides and at other various times. If your kids are fairly active and you aren't using a stroller now for things like the zoo and stuff, you may not need one. A lot of people told me I was crazy not to get one, but it worked out fine for us and I didn't have to worry about schlepping it around (which was nice!).

Thanks again everyone!

KagMama - that's exactly what I'm thinking...I've gotten rid of all our strollers now and definitely don't want to purchase another for this trip and the price of renting isn't cheap.

mdb - that's one reason why I think I'd like a stroller too. Just in case we have to boot it somewhere, we can go at our speed and not theirs.

Princess - you have also made good points. We have taken our kids to Canada's Wonderland several times this summer and did it all stroller free which was nice but we did have to carry them every once in a while which made my spaghetti arms feel like rubber.

Can I ask one more question. I'm assuming the strollers are really only required in MK and AK, given the size, is that true? I don't really think I'd need one for HS and Epcot or am I wrong in thinking this? :confused3

If I am recalling correctly Epcot is by far the largest park in terms of walking...things are more spread out I think....

My twins have not used a stroller in several years, they will be 5 in Dec...we plan to bring the rented stroller with us to every park. I would rather have it and NOT need it than need it and not have it and have to carry a tired cranky sweaty 40 lb kid all the way out of a park :confused3 But thats just me,..
I am also hoping they will nap in the stroller so we can use that time to take the older kid ont he big kid rides

We are heading to the World in November for our 1st family trip and I can't seem to decide how to handle the stroller situation. My middle one will be a new 5 year old and my youngest will be 3 1/2 (close to 4). We haven't used a stroller in over a year but I realize, I'll need one in Disney.

While I know renting one offsite is cheapest and a more comfortable ride, I kind of like the idea of renting one in Disney so we don't have to lug it around on the buses. Of course, the other drawback to renting in Disney is having to return it after the fireworks.

Just not sure what to do. :confused3 Any advice?

TIA.

I would not use the Disney ones, they are not comfortable and my kids didn't like them. Our kids are 7 and 4 and ride in the Combi Sport Double stroller. They both fit comfortably, it folds up easily and is fairly lightweight for a double. My kids would want to be carried by 2 hrs in without a stroller so I would say use one! That's just me.

My DDs were 4 and 7 our first visit, and the Orlando Stroller was a life saver. It was easy to deal with on the buses, and we got the one that DD7 could ride in at the time too. DD4 fell asleep in it EVERY single night, and it was nice to be able to ride her to the bus, and load her back up in it at the resort to stroll to our room.

And if you are going in a busy time, the parks can run out of rentals. You arent guaranteed one at all. I LOVED the OSR stroller.

I recommend Kingdom Strollers, their prices were good and they have excellent strollers to choose from. We rented a double stroller and it was extremely easy to use in the park. Although it was big on the bus, it wasn't hard to fold. I would never rent from Disney. I just don't want to carry a sleeping child from the entrance to the bus/resort.

Just to give you another choice of places to rent the stroller from I read about this place and what caught my attention the most besides the price, was that they also give you (free of charge) a raincover for the stroller and "parent console and insulated bag. The website is http://www.babywheelsorlando.com "babywheelsorlando" (in case the link doesn't work). Read a few good reviews from this place and i'm trying it out next year. HTH Have a great trip :thumbsup2

I think that there is nothing that ruins a family vacation more than whiney tired kids and even more - having to carry them...I vote rent a stroller offsite and take it with you to every park (epcot is HUGE - and we end up traversing DHS often because of show times etc and sometimes need to go at our pace instead of theres)...you can always leave it parked in stroller parking and go back to get it later!

One other thing to consider is when you are going and the HEAT/RAIN/COLD etc - I think strollers are great for keeping kids comfy in various weather conditions - not as much walking in the heat, a rain cover to stay dry and ability to walk places faster in the rain, and an easy way to sheild from wind and cold or put on a blanket in the cold (it was in the 30s every day we were there in Dec 2010 - this does happen in florida!)...

Have a great trip! My DS will be 6 a few days before we go and I still rent a double for him and DD age 2...it will be used often I am sure!!!

Thanks everyone for talking some common sense into me. Just what I needed. Also thanks for the heads up on the babyonwheels site, hadn't come across that one.:thumbsup2

my cousin went with us withher 7 year old four years ago and she said no way her daughter would stay in a stroller and we advised little legs hard for them to keep up with long legs and she would get tired. and just tell her while they at Disney had to ride in it and so she got in and was never a problem she stayed in it napped in it (and had not aken naos for 3 years) she got out for rides and shows and to eat and other than that not a peep out of her. my cousin was amazed..we used a disney one hte first day and then called and got one off site for the reat of time we there as is a long way form bus to entrance of any parks so that way had it 24/7. was not a problem on the buses at all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter