Another resale direct thought

glencoe

DIS Veteran
I have one of each( direct 150 points but)(resale 160 but) same UY, I like things easy. I am thinking of another contract- poly ( always a fav) about 100 points, same UY of course.

So I know the $$ savings of resale, and member benefits of direct, but I am thinking long term.

From the seasoned veterans, the rumors (many over the years) that DVC would shut down the benefit of staying elsewhere than home resort for resale owners. I also wonder if in the future DVC might differentiate between contracts and only give benefits to the direct contracts for resort booking , so if you have a mixed bunch of contracts you could only use points from direct to book any resort and not combine with resale?

I am probably over thinking things but....... that's what I do! Fire away thoughts!!!!

I have one of each( direct 150 points but)(resale 160 but) same UY, I like things easy. I am thinking of another contract- poly ( always a fav) about 100 points, same UY of course.

So I know the $$ savings of resale, and member benefits of direct, but I am thinking long term.

From the seasoned veterans, the rumors (many over the years) that DVC would shut down the benefit of staying elsewhere than home resort for resale owners. I also wonder if in the future DVC might differentiate between contracts and only give benefits to the direct contracts for resort booking , so if you have a mixed bunch of contracts you could only use points from direct to book any resort and not combine with resale?

I am probably over thinking things but....... that's what I do! Fire away thoughts!!!!

BLT!!! Not but

From the seasoned veterans, the rumors (many over the years) that DVC would shut down the benefit of staying elsewhere than home resort for resale owners.

Most of the seasoned vets do not think that is even possible - (just a scare tactic (i.e. lie) by DVC guides to trick the unsophisticated into paying more.)

If BLT resale buyers cannot trade out, the other side of that would be that other DVC owners cannot trade into BLT for those spots. It really makes no sense. And DVC likely has zero ability from a contractual standpoint of making that change.

A lot can change whether you buy directly or by resale. But the money you save buying resale is yours to keep.

This is a concern of mine, as we determine what we want to do. I know with 100% confidence that my home resort will be PVB. We wont buy in to any other resort, because we have always loved the Poly.
When we travel, we like perks. I know that Disney could change direct perks at any time, but they could also dramatically decrease options for resale bookings as well.
Because we are looking at PVB, the resale pricing (which would possibly include current years maintenance) is VERY close to direct. We are looking at a 200pt contract direct, that would give us 200 pts from 2016+ Aug UY...all maintenance paid for 16/17 points. The total on this (before closing costs) is $32k
I did find a resale for 200pts but pts would not be available until 2017 and we would still owe maintenance dues for this year.
So, that difference was closer to $3k on direct vs resale...over the span of 50 years, that's only $60/yr. We are not financing any of it, so that difference doesn't seem that big to me.

Thoughts?

The legal and financial machinations required to restrict use of the real estate interest to home resort only, and the impact doing so would have also on direct buyers, makes it truly a non-starter. Almost anything can be done legally if enough money is spent to make it happen, but the amount of money involved here is such that it would never be seriously considered.

There is a big difference between pulling back on benefits not linked to the real property interest and playing shenanigans with the real property interest itself.

Thanks for all the view points!! I was wondering because of the recent separation they are doing w/ resale vs. direct just in the membership cards alone. I am just wondering if I should just do all BLT, keep it simple and cross fingers for the 7th month window at Poly!!

On another note...I bought BLT because they had the one of the lowest maintenance fees...what happened?? They jumped alot this year....wondering...

I do not believe the current (Position Offering Statement) and MSPOS (Multi-Site POS) for the current DVC resorts would legally allow DVC to differentiate between direct and resale points for booking / reservation purposes. I am not at all worried about that particular risk of owning DVC.

I do not believe the current (Position Offering Statement) and MSPOS (Multi-Site POS) for the current DVC resorts would legally allow DVC to differentiate between direct and resale points for booking / reservation purposes. I am not at all worried about that particular risk of owning DVC.
Agreed. As I said, I think if Disney threw enough money at it, there would be a way, but "enough" would be "far more than the outcome would be worth in even a 25+ year timeline," with considerable bad feeling, and a lot of unintended consequences (like direct owners not being able to switch out).

Thanks for all the view points!! I was wondering because of the recent separation they are doing w/ resale vs. direct just in the membership cards alone. I am just wondering if I should just do all BLT, keep it simple and cross fingers for the 7th month window at Poly!!

On another note...I bought BLT because they had the one of the lowest maintenance fees...what happened?? They jumped alot this year....wondering...

Eventually Dean will see this thread and do a much better job than I can explaining what DVC can and can not change with regards to basic functions of the contract vs. adding/removing/restricting perks. But I agree with the viewpoints above when they say that is not a genuine concern.

As for BLT, the word from the beginning was that it was built on the cheap and that low maintenance fees were used to lure prospective buyers. It was also predicted that due to this and the fact that it would need more repairs in a shorter time frame that dues would go up faster than other resorts. Looks like those predictions were accurate. When I bought BLT dues were $3.90. Oh the good old days.

I think because being able to book elsewhere at 7 months is not a perk but part of the system -- they would not be able to restrict you to only your home resort. If you are weighing adding on direct or not I think you need to work the number -- because you would have 250 points direct would you do anything different with those points - cruises ABD etc or would you still only use them for DVC stays? If you happen to stumble across the points and UY you want in a resale then buy it that way and save your self a little. If you have other plans then buy direct and then you need not worry. Even with the recent price increase a resale isn't going to save you much - once you factor in closing cost and then the ability to use a disney visa for a portion or all of your direct purchase with 1-2% back .

No "seasoned veteran" will make that claim. There is no legal way to differentiate between resale and direct when it comes to the 7/11 month booking windows or ability to book at other DVC resorts. If they change the booking window, it would apply to everyone. If one resort was excluded from booking other DVC resorts, it would apply to all owners of that resort.

I think because being able to book elsewhere at 7 months is not a perk but part of the system -- they would not be able to restrict you to only your home resort.

A better way to think about it is it is a part of your real estate interest. After-hours events, little tours of attractions, etc. are not part of the real property interest.

You own a piece of a condo, in a condo association. So the rules that govern those are based in the real estate. You don't own a discount.

Eventually Dean will see this thread and do a much better job than I can explaining what DVC can and can not change with regards to basic functions of the contract vs. adding/removing/restricting perks. But I agree with the viewpoints above when they say that is not a genuine concern.

As for BLT, the word from the beginning was that it was built on the cheap and that low maintenance fees were used to lure prospective buyers. It was also predicted that due to this and the fact that it would need more repairs in a shorter time frame that dues would go up faster than other resorts. Looks like those predictions were accurate. When I bought BLT dues were $3.90. Oh the good old days.
My opinion is the same as others, it's not legally possible. However, what may be possible is a VIP program that would give those with qualified points (retail buyers) a priority on wait lists and possibly on reservations in general. I know some will say it's not possible and I understand that thought process but given that at least 3 other timeshares I am aware of and who are based in FL have done so, I tend to think it is legally possible to create such a VIP option that would require qualified points.

A very large part of deciding to buy DVC was the idea that you could always sell it if you wanted out. News travels fast is Disney, if they did something too extreme it would kill future sales

My opinion is the same as others, it's not legally possible. However, what may be possible is a VIP program that would give those with qualified points (retail buyers) a priority on wait lists and possibly on reservations in general. I know some will say it's not possible and I understand that thought process but given that at least 3 other timeshares I am aware of and who are based in FL have done so, I tend to think it is legally possible to create such a VIP option that would require qualified points.
I actually agree those kind of VIP "perks" are possible. They might be able to give direct buyers a head-start in home resort, for instance.

I just don't see them able to absolutely restrict resale buyers to home resort in any way that makes legal or operational sense, and it would be expensive to make happen with very little gain. It's why that particular rumor is so silly.

I think because being able to book elsewhere at 7 months is not a perk but part of the system -- they would not be able to restrict you to only your home resort.

This can actually happen, but it would have to happen for the entire resort, not just resale members.

Currently, if you are a BLT owner, then you are entitled to stay at BLT. But BLT is part of a DVC exchange that allows you to exchange your BLT points for a reservation at one of the other DVC resorts. BLT can choose to pull out of the exchange. If that were to happen, then BLT owners would be restricted to BLT could not book outside of BLT (and AKV owners would not be able to book at BLT).

It's quite clear in the documentation that all booking is on a first come first served basis, both within your home resort and when you book outside of your home resort through the DVC exchange. IMO, the language does not allow for any preferential treatment for direct owners when it comes to booking, but i am not a lawyer.

Each resort is part of the DVC club. So in order for you not to be able to book at other resorts than your home, the resort must be taken out of the club. Once that happens, then you could be restricted to your home resort. But as already mentioned, this would happen to all owners of that resort. It completely changes the product that they sell. And, if it were to ever happen, I would say the ones that would be remotely vulnerable would be the ones like HH and VB that are not connected directly to the parks.

I look it as the points being there to help with your stays and if anything else happens, its wonderful. But, I also own points at the resorts that if I were to get stuck having to stay at those, I'd be fine, because they are my favorite. So, I'd be sure that I owned points at least at places that make that true!

Each resort is part of the DVC club. So in order for you not to be able to book at other resorts than your home, the resort must be taken out of the club. Once that happens, then you could be restricted to your home resort. But as already mentioned, this would happen to all owners of that resort. It completely changes the product that they sell. And, if it were to ever happen, I would say the ones that would be remotely vulnerable would be the ones like HH and VB that are not connected directly to the parks.

I look it as the points being there to help with your stays and if anything else happens, its wonderful. But, I also own points at the resorts that if I were to get stuck having to stay at those, I'd be fine, because they are my favorite. So, I'd be sure that I owned points at least at places that make that true!
Marriott has had this happen with at least 8 resorts that I can think of and have threatened with at least 3 others. While most of those were not Marriott built, a couple that were threatened were.

While nobody knows for sure, I would agree with the others that it is highly unlikely. If they can figure out a way to make it such that you can only book at your home resort, I suspect that those who purchased before a certain date would be grandfathered in just as we are today for certain perks.
I would think locking people into a home resort only would be much more trouble than it would be worth to DVC.

Thanks for all of your thoughts. Not sure if I should do BLT to make it all simple or do the poly. Right not poly resale/direct is just starting to separate in price to make a real difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter