Another class action lawsuit

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
I just got my check from the ATM class action and today we both got a form for a lawsuit from our healthcare.

Something about third party privacy.

Wonder how long this one will take. Usually by the time I hear anything more I forgotten about it but it is free money

There is no such thing as free money. I’m all for class action suits when there is real harm involved, but most nowadays are frivolous and the only people making real money are the rich attorneys. The companies just raise their prices when they have to make these huge payouts thus hurting the poorest consumers who have to pay more.

We received the healthcare one yesterday as well. Said that the action will be in early/mid March.

Only part of it, remember settlements are taxable.
Only the portion that is considered punitive damages. Being most of these lawsuits are legal extortion the company never admits fault and compensates those affected for problems they may have had. If these things went to court and fault was proven and punitive damages were awarded you would need the percentage of compensation and punitive damage to determine the tax burden. Being the vast majority are settlements in a class action law suit there is no punitive damages awarded. In this case people are being compensated for fees they may have paid and being if you paid a fee the funds used to pay the fee would have already been taxed it can not be taxed again.

Funny this thread came up. Just got a check for $20 in the mail on yet another lawsuit settlement. Apparently some realtor who I have never used was calling people looking to drum up business. They were NOT referencing the 'do not call' list so that was the nature of the suit. Their phone records were how they determined who was eligible to be part of this settlement. I think it is yet another frivolous lawsuit and them calling me when they shouldn't didn't result in any 'cost' for me...........but it seems some lawyers actively seek out these 'opportunities' to make a fast buck.

Unless someone sends me a tax form, I have never recorded any of these when filing my annual tax return. Most are a trivial amount that probably would have zero impact on your taxes.

Funny this thread came up. Just got a check for $20 in the mail on yet another lawsuit settlement. Apparently some realtor who I have never used was calling people looking to drum up business. They were NOT referencing the 'do not call' list so that was the nature of the suit. Their phone records were how they determined who was eligible to be part of this settlement. I think it is yet another frivolous lawsuit and them calling me when they shouldn't didn't result in any 'cost' for me...........but it seems some lawyers actively seek out these 'opportunities' to make a fast buck.

Unless someone sends me a tax form, I have never recorded any of these when filing my annual tax return. Most are a trivial amount that probably would have zero impact on your taxes.
Whether the call bothered you or not, it was breaking the law. The FTC is the one that sues the companies for penalties and/or restitution.

I don't have an issue with the FTC enforcing their rules. Seems they should simply fine the company breaking the laws. Sending a few dollars to everyone they called really accomplishes nothing and just make the whole thing a lot more complicated. I suspect most of the big-time spam operators run their operations from some other country where the FTC probably has no legal standing to sue them.

I was searching for any topics on FTC settlements. I just got a check in the mail. I'd heard of this before but I don't think I did anything actively. I was self-employed for a few months a few years ago and was buying health insurance that seemed cheap. But it was only for three months and I cancelled. My wife said she had one heck a time trying to get a doctor's appointment.

I just got a check for about $100 from the FTC. As far as I'm concerned, it's just found money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter