• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"And he's craaaaazy! And he's Roooyyyy!" Two Ridiculous Kittens Take Over The World!

somethingblue

Mouseketeer
Why hello there, Dissers!
Welcome to my first ever attempt at a trip report. I tried to keep diligent notes during our trip regarding the details of our days but, alas, after two nights of entries I got too distracted by all the fun I was having! But don't worry, I have bunches of pictures to job my memory.

Why does the title of my trip report make no sense?
Who are these mysterious kittens?
All in due time, dear readers!

Let's start off with our basics!

WHEN? May 10 - 17
WHERE? Pop Century Resort
WHY? To celebrate surviving another year of college and our one year anniversary! (Well, really just because I was craving a Disney fix, but those reasons sound better on paper.)
HOW? Flying and relying on the Disney buses to do the driving
WHO?

4622319686_71bdd00318.jpg

Matt! This is my fantastic boyfriend of a year and 3 months. This was his first trip ever to Walt Disney World and he had no idea what to expect. Having gone to Disneyland as a kid, his idea of a theme park was waiting three hours in line to do one thing. Boy was he in for a surprise! If you're following my dining review you know that he's a vegetarian and, thankfully, eating was a breeze on his trip. Despite making fun of me constantly for all the planning and obsessive Dis checking I did before this trip, he ended up really getting in to the spirit of things (and kicked *** at finding hidden mickeys!). I'll be attempting to pry opinions out of him to add to this review, but I must admit, he's a man of few words. Matt is a math major, loves pesto, and knows quite a bit about coffee.

4833317126_db05182ea8.jpg

Katy! This is me, excited to be on the Magical Express for the first time! This was my fourth trip to Disney World but my first time relying on Disney transportation. I love to plan trips, especially ones to the happiest place on earth. I made my own autograph book for the trip and decorated a little journal to use for ADRs, notes, and that sort of thing. I was excited about introducing Matt to the World but also a little nervous...what if he didn't have a good time? Thankfully my fears were in vain! I'm in school to be a pre-k teacher, write local food reviews (link in my signature!), and rarely hear a song that I don't start to sing along to!​

So that's us. Two crazy college students who spent our own money going on an awesome trip. My next post will discuss our flight, the magical express, and our first night at Pop.

May 10th - Orlando Here We Come!

Here's a picture of me the night before our departure, stressing! You see, three days before leaving for Disney my beloved camera of several years decided to die on me at a Ben Folds concert. I tried to get it to work, but there was no use. It kicked the bucket. Don't get me wrong, the camera had a good run, and I knew it was on it's last leg, but it was a total pain having to run out and spend most of my souvenir money buying a new camera! At first I totally hated my new Canon Powershot but over the course of this trip I grew to love. I wasn't quite feeling it in this picture, though!

4594516312_16c46bca64.jpg

I also photographed my luggage, just for you dissers. We didn't want to deal with checked luggage so Matt and I both just brought carry ons. The apple suitcase was my main bag and the tinkerbell backpack doubled as my on-plane-purse and my park bag.

4593903473_b7375b7177.jpg

4593905223_19a16c1498.jpg

May 10th - Departure day! I chose an afternoon departure time because I didn't want to have to wake up super early to make it to the airport on time. We got to the airport around twelve thirty and went through security in what had to have been less than five minutes. The airport was nearly abandoned! And we don't live in a small town, either. We live in a fairly large city. I guess it was the combination of the fact that it was a Monday and it was the middle of the afternoon that made it a great time to get on a plane!

Since security took no time at all Matt and I had a couple of hours to kill in the airport. We found our terminal and then looked around for a bite to eat. Both of us are prone to stomach problems when we got nervous, so we played it safe and got a couple of smoothies. I also picked up a couple of magazines to flip through while we waited. Thankfully it didn't feel too long before we were ready to board the plane. Our seats were RIGHT over the engines so it was a sort of noisy flight. Thankfully it was also a short one; it doesn't take long to get from San Antonio to Houston! Our three hour lay over was the perfect amount of time to eat lunch and explore the airport a bit before finally we could get on our plane to Orlando!

I was a little nervous about finding the Magical Express kiosk because I'd heard it was a real pain to find. We were confused about the little monorail that takes you from the terminal you board at to the main terminal. I didn't realize quite how huge this airport was! We hopped on a monorail, then hopped off, and then hopped back on again, and finally made it to the Magical Express check in. We didn't have to wait to get on a bus at all! Since we only had carry on items we stowed those under the bus and grabbed our seats. We were off to Pop!

4833313300_427d4e135f.jpg

4833443296_57cfd29646.jpg

We were actually on a Disney Cruise bus, which meant our windows looked like portholes and the seats had an anchor motif. We waited a while for the bus to get going, and waited a while more for the movie to start. I thought it was weird that you hear the characters talk in the video! I suppose I'm just a purist, haha. We made two, maybe three stops before the bus arrived at the Pop, and we weren't the last people left on the bus. When we got on the bus it was daytime...and when we got off the bus it was nighttime! So needless to say it took a while to get there...but get there we did.

We checked in with a really nice girl who took the time to put charging privileges on Matt's card, get us anniversary buttons and a first trip one for Matt, and generally explain the lay of the land to us. She noticed my lanyard and offered to show me a pin book while we waited for our room keys to print! This was a great way to introduce Matt to the first of many great cast members we would experience that week. I took a few pictures of the 60's area, where the main lobby is, and the 50's area where our room was.

4833326872_d97abee55c.jpg

4832721273_6d34ff1bb3.jpg

4833333528_a30d56e770.jpg

This is the Hippy Dippy Pool and Petals Pool Bar, both located in the 60's right behind the main lobby.

4832739455_9f9f617cdf.jpg

4832711435_c2b3e8358e.jpg

4833336212_90cc2e4325.jpg

These were taken in the 50's section where our room was! That big juke box was directly in front of our building. I really enjoyed staying in the 50's section. There was a pool steps away, we weren't too far from the main lobby, and it was quiet. I would recommend it.

Matt and I headed to the food court after unpacking to grab some dinner, and then tried to hit the hay. Of course, we were really too excited to sleep, but we knew the next day would be our first park day, so we tried none the less. Epcot, here we come!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter