All Star Mugs

stschaefer

Mouseketeer
Anyone been to the All Star Movies or Music in the last couple of weeks? What is the mug design they have now? Someone posted yesterday about a standard mug at the Beachclub that said Summer 2006 instead of Beachclub and was wondering if these are going across the board...

That's correct. Refillable mugs are only good during the visit they're purchased.

I just left there wednesday and the mugs where the same as i had from 2 years ago. The characters playing sports. My friend brought hers from home and used those and nothing was said.

jgreby said:
I just left there wednesday and the mugs where the same as i had from 2 years ago. The characters playing sports. My friend brought hers from home and used those and nothing was said.

Maybe nothing was said to your friend who used the old mug but using an old mug is against Disney's official policy.

I will post the policy and some of thoughts in case there are any readers who may not be aware of the official policy.

Here is the official policy from this website:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...urantDiningPage

Trail's End Restaurant

Resort Refillable Mugs are sold in all Walt Disney World® Resort hotels, and can be used at the restaurant where it was purchased, for the entire duration of the current visit. Each location offers soft drinks, coffee, hot chocolate, hot and iced tea.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here are some articles and some of my thoughts on why I think Disney does care about some guests who know the offical policy and are choosing not to follow the policy anyway.--.

------------------------------------------------
From this Mouseplanet.com websiteJune,2002:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/mike/ref...icy_changes.htm

In an effort to rein in costs and increase income, the Walt Disney World Resort hotels are making some drastic changes to the extremely popular refillable mug program that may affect many repeat visitors to the resort.

[If you are unfamiliar with the program, you can read about it in MousePlanet's WDW Resorts from A to Z page under "Refillable Mugs."]

According to an article in the Orlando Sentinel entitled "32 ounces of soda not enough? Disney tries out self-serve refills," Walt Disney World is making large 32-ounce soft drink mugs available for free self-serve refills in Typhoon Lagoon. That's the good news. The bad news is that you can only refill your mug on the day of purchase. If you return to Typhoon Lagoon the next day, you can no longer refill your mug for free.

Disney has added a new UPC bar coding system to the self-serve refill stations that, for the first time, controls a previously unenforced policy. Although the refillable mug program has always been advertised as available during an actual length of stay that allows guests to refill their mugs during their trip, in reality, guests often brought their mugs back on subsequent trips to refill them free of charge. With the UPC code tied to a guest's hotel reservation, this new system closes this loophole altogether. That is, once your stay has ended, your mug is no longer refillable. Those mugs you bought on previous visits won't work next time you vacation at WDW.
Another loophole that may close with this new system is that you might not be able to use your mug at any other resort except at the one you are staying. For example, if you stay at one of the resorts for a few days and purchase a mug there, and then you move over to another resort for the balance of your vacation, the mug might not be refillable at the second resort.How will this new system be enforced? Once the UPC code system is fully activated, they can devise a system by which the fountains work only if an "active" UPC code is on the mug.

WDW visitors are already complaining that the new system is yet another line to stand in and just "more time-consuming nonsense cutting into [one's] vacation time."

Did you recently visit WDW and see this change in practice? If you have any first-hand knowledge or experience, please email me or Brian Bennett at brian@mouseplanet.com to provide us with more details.

I think Disney does not want to embarrass guests who are not following rules.

They sometimes use other ways to enforce their rules.

That is why we have 3 hour parking passes for dining at other resorts,
finger scanning to get in parks (no ticket sharing)
Wrist bands for SAB
Wrist bands for EMH, MNSSHP, and MVMCP
Barcodes for TL and BB mugs

How soon before the LOS Barcode for resort mugs?
If the refill mug abuses continue it may be a lot sooner than we want.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Here is another article written in June 2002:

http://www.theshiftedlibrarian.com/2002/06/24.html

Disney Mug Holders, Beware

"The new system of computerized monitoring of fountain refills being experimented with at Typhoon Lagoon could tighten a rather loose policy at Disney's resorts. They sell 16-ounce souvenir mugs for $9.99.

Guests may refill them at resort snack bars unlimited times with soda, coffee or tea for the length of their stay. Cashiers sell the mugs and then are supposed to keep a watchful eye as guests get their own refills.

But some Disney World employees and regular guests say they take the mugs on repeat visits to the snack bars and fill up -- basically a lifetime of free drinks for one purchase. They are occasionally offered on eBay and at garage sales, testimony to their timeless value.

Cashiers say the mugs' designs aren't changed enough for them to spot old ones. But the new system being tried at Typhoon Lagoon employs a bar code that's read electronically at the drink dispenser and recognizes old mugs." [Orlando Sentinel, via Boing Boing]

----------------------------------------------------------------

And another from June 2002:

From this website:

http://www.intercot.com/news/2002/june.asp

News Archive - June 2002

June 27, 2002

Refillable Mug Policy Tightening?
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Disney is experimenting with a new computerized barcode system to be used in tandem with it's refillable mug program offered at their resorts. The program allows guests to buy a mug for each person in their party which then can be used for unlimited drink refills during their stay. The policy change could come as a result of Guests taking the mugs on repeat visits to Disney World to fill up on what becomes basically a lifetime of free drinks for one purchase.
info and discussion here
------------------------------------------
Yes, to my understanding it has not yet been installed.
But it was on the drawing boards.
Maybe they are waiting for better technology that will make it more cost effective. I don't know.

Bioscans for AP holders were used for a number of years before Disney decided to use them for all (with a few exceptions i.e. ...some in WC/EVC's etc.)of their ticketed guests.
The TL and BB mugs have been using the Barcode stickers for a couple years.
Maybe a length of stay sticker costs too much or is more complicated at the present time.
But I would not be surprised if someday in the near future Disney does have length of stay barcodes or stickers or something else in place to enforce their refillable mug policy.

JMHO

More cost and more inconvenience for all guests, just because some guests refuse to play by the rules.

This is a hot button topic. A lot of people think that you should never try to get the better of Disney, while others think you should.

Giant fights about it all the time.

banana hammock said:
So I can not use the one I bought there last year?

:rolleyes1 Just read what's written on your mug...unless...that mug that you used last year was really from your visit three years ago... :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter