All questions about 5X Rewards here...

This is our fourth offer in a row! This time it is for Oct-Dec and purchases over $1000 in certain catagories. We'd be cleaning up with bonus points but all of our groocery and gas are classified as "Other" and don't count.

wish I'd get one of these offers! I called to double check, but still nothing:confused3 Oh well, maybe somedayprincess:

Boy, I was so excited when I got this flyer in the mail yesterday! Ahoy! earn 5x rewards on qualifying dinning groceries, gas and airline purchases from Oct - Dec. Wow, great I thought, then I opened it and it has the $1000 limit thing and I knew this wasn't going to really work for me! Arrghgh!! Of course I bought my airline tickets earlier this month. Then, after reading here I checked and none of the places I buy gas at list as 'gas' but list as vehicle expense. Of course walmart or target post a 'other'. And, unbelievable, but it figures that the actual grocery store I shop at doesn't list as 'grocery' but as 'other'! Really?! The only thing that would list correctly is most dining is listed as 'dining and entertainment'. But not $1000 worth, even though my DD and I use this for everything we buy! Unfortunately, it seems like a rip off when you buy in the correct category but with it listed as 'other' or 'vehicle expense' you don't have a shot, plus with the high $1000 limit, no way!

Question though. So, for the $1000, does this mean that the thousand dollars is made up of charges only in those categories(so only charge of gas, dining, groceries, airline) count towards the first 1000, or any and all charges(such as bill paying), count towards the $1000 and anything over that in the right category counts for the 5x? Make sense? Really, even you shop at a grocery store(I do) unless the store lists properly for grocery, an same for gas you are just out of luck. Everywhere I go does not post the way Chase says it must be so it must be really really hard to really benefit from this. Maybe, if shopping the properly listed type places, you'd still have to a bigger family who shops a lot for gas and food to have this offer work for you! Sorry to go on so, I just got madder when reading this thread and checking my online statement and the flyer! :headache:

Unless you've got what a few posters do, with a 250 limit or 500 limit, but with no limit on allowable purchases, this is really won't work for hardly anyone. :sad2:

It's actually 6-8 weeks following the date that the charges are posted to your account. So anyone who got the July-Aug-Sept offer might be seeing some of those 5x rewards in their statements right now if they reached their monthly threshold in early- to mid-July and they have a late-August or early-Sept closing date.

We've already seen some bonus rewards on our recent online statement. :cool1:

The very first time I received this offer (1st quarter of 2008) The bonus dollars were paid on the next statment. My statement cuts around the 26th of the month. The bonus dollars are for the actual month 1st through month end. On say the Jan statement I would receive the regular Disney Dollars and then on Feb the actual extra 4 times for the month of Jan. This is how they did it last year for the frist quarter. After that all dollars were paid in the first month after the last of the 3 month offer. My July, Aug and Sept bonus was paid in my October stmt. My stmt is late in the month so maybe that's why not so long a wait. My daughter's stmt cuts around the 3rd and she had to wait the extra cycle for the bonus dollars. Just my experience with this. By the way no offers this year!! I did really 'use' disney Visa. I paid off every thing just as I spent it so as not to accrue and have to pay any interest to them. Maybe they like to offer these to those carrying a balance so Chase gets something back!! Who knows, all I know is that I haven't gotten one this year, I even called to make sure it wasn't lost or accidently tossed. I guess there is a current offer as well? Thanks and have a nice evening!

Well, I called and my offer was supposedly mailed on Sept 10. I did get my code and phone number to call in my offer for Oct 1 - Dec 31. Mine is any purchases over 250 per month per the Rep. I spoke to and the bonus rewards (the extra 4 times )are earned monthly with a lag of a stmt just like I described above.

Boy, I was so excited when I got this flyer in the mail yesterday! Ahoy! earn 5x rewards on qualifying dinning groceries, gas and airline purchases from Oct - Dec. Wow, great I thought, then I opened it and it has the $1000 limit thing and I knew this wasn't going to really work for me! Arrghgh!! Of course I bought my airline tickets earlier this month. Then, after reading here I checked and none of the places I buy gas at list as 'gas' but list as vehicle expense. Of course walmart or target post a 'other'. And, unbelievable, but it figures that the actual grocery store I shop at doesn't list as 'grocery' but as 'other'! Really?! The only thing that would list correctly is most dining is listed as 'dining and entertainment'. But not $1000 worth, even though my DD and I use this for everything we buy! Unfortunately, it seems like a rip off when you buy in the correct category but with it listed as 'other' or 'vehicle expense' you don't have a shot, plus with the high $1000 limit, no way!

Question though. So, for the $1000, does this mean that the thousand dollars is made up of charges only in those categories(so only charge of gas, dining, groceries, airline) count towards the first 1000, or any and all charges(such as bill paying), count towards the $1000 and anything over that in the right category counts for the 5x? Make sense? Really, even you shop at a grocery store(I do) unless the store lists properly for grocery, an same for gas you are just out of luck. Everywhere I go does not post the way Chase says it must be so it must be really really hard to really benefit from this. Maybe, if shopping the properly listed type places, you'd still have to a bigger family who shops a lot for gas and food to have this offer work for you! Sorry to go on so, I just got madder when reading this thread and checking my online statement and the flyer! :headache:

Unless you've got what a few posters do, with a 250 limit or 500 limit, but with no limit on allowable purchases, this is really won't work for hardly anyone. :sad2:

The threshold amout (1000) generally has to be spent on the categories listed. That's how it was on our offers last year. The rest of your charges will just earn regular Disney Dollars and not count toward the threshold. Unless you spend a lot on this type of item, most likely you won't meet it. Also, the threshold is EACH month. another tough thing with such a high amount.

Well, I didn't receive the mailing but have so during 2008. I decided to call and see if the offer was on my account and yes, it is. Mine is for any purchases over $250 per month Oct 1 to Dec 31. The rewards are to be paid monthly (according to the rep I spoke to at Disney Visa) It sounded like she was reading off the offer so I assume the method will be as told to me. This was how the rewards were posted to my account the first time I did it. The rewards are for the actual month not the stmt month and the regular rewards will will post as usual and the extra 4 times the month afterward for the actual month. At least this time when I keep track it will be easier for me since it's all purchases not just certain categories.

Forgot to mention instead of the $100 cap on bonus dollars, mine is $200!!!!

One thing you need to remember is that how things are noted on your statement is not necessarily how Chase notes them internally. I've been told this by several reps. For example, as long as your grocery purchases are made at a store that only primarily sells groceries (i.e. not Target, Walmart, Meijer, etc.), you *will* get credit. HTH a little! :)

One thing you need to remember is that how things are noted on your statement is not necessarily how Chase notes them internally. I've been told this by several reps. For example, as long as your grocery purchases are made at a store that only primarily sells groceries (i.e. not Target, Walmart, Meijer, etc.), you *will* get credit. HTH a little! :)
Another thing, if you call and listen to your purchase type it will be more accurate than viewing online. I don't know why this is but I have seen "other" written as the description online and when I called the exact purchase is grocery or gas or what ever. Who knows why this is but I did experience that happening.

Another thing, if you call and listen to your purchase type it will be more accurate than viewing online. I don't know why this is but I have seen "other" written as the description online and when I called the exact purchase is grocery or gas or what ever. Who knows why this is but I did experience that happening.

i didnt realize when you call it tells you what type of category it is. Guess i'm use to doing everything online-lol!

Well I finally got an offer for 5x rewards but it's for the "above $1000 each month". UGH - doubt I will hit that, but since we use it for everything I signed up to see if I will get any bonus points. Any extra points are welcome as we head to WDW and DCL on December 5!

Of course, I already bought my airline tickets (in June), so all I have each month is dining, gas and groceries.

i didnt realize when you call it tells you what type of category it is. Guess i'm use to doing everything online-lol!

Yes, and I know for at least my grocery stores if I call they say grocery and online for the same stores it says other. I always call but my daughter checks online for hers and we shopped the same places. I'm very lucky this offer, my threshold is $250 but there are no categories, it's for any purchases and the total bonus is $200 not the $100 for the 3 months. I just wish I didn't do the purchases I did this month and waited until Oct 1. I did put about 3,000 on the Disney card. Oh well I still will use the card for as much as I can to receive the bonus dollars.

Where does it say on the post card how much you have to spend and the cat. My husband got one the other day and I signed him up with the code but didn't see any of the info.

Where does it say on the post card how much you have to spend and the cat. My husband got one the other day and I signed him up with the code but didn't see any of the info.

It's on the right side of the card in kind of large type. It's not in the small print. Call Disney Visa and they can tell you as well if you don't have the card. If it doesn't have categories and it says all purchases (mine does this time) then you receive the bonus on any purchases over the monthly threshold amt.

it says On eligible purchases from 10/1/2009-12/31/2009

If there are no categories listed there it's all purchases over the amount stated. If no amount, then I guess there is no threshold. You can call and check but mine has a threshold of $250 and eligible purchases and I was told by a rep at Disney Visa that it's any purchase. Usually right under that statement it will list (usually 4) the categories you must spend the threshold amount as well as the amount you get the bonus Disney Dollars on. Common items are grocery, gas, airline and dining. Those have been the items I have had in the past and it's a combined total of the 4 not on each to meet the threshold.

Thanks for you reply. This would be great ... there is no cat. and no theshold listed. I will call disney visa tomorrow

Just got my 1st 5x offer ever!
So excited!
DS is already asking to add another TS meal to our Christmas trip?

Now I'm off to read the fine print.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter