After looking at the wedding pictures thread: so who pays for the wedding?

punkin

<font color=purple>Went through pain just to look
My DH and I paid for our wedding except my mother bought my wedding outfit. If it was on my body, veil to shoes, she paid.

How did you do it?

My wife's parents paid for the majority of it. My parents paid for the rehearsal dinner and a few other things.

We paid for ours, though as it was before a justice of the peace, it really didn't cost much. My mum did buy me that nice green dress, which I was able to wear on a few other occasions afterward.

I opted not to take my husband's name, as it was an additional twenty dollars for the privilege of changing my last name. :laughing:

Afterward, we stopped by a friend's house for a party. Most of the attendees didn't know we'd got married that day, and thought they were just attending a birthday party for our friend (who did know and had suggested combining celebrations).

If I was going to change any one thing, I think I'd have told more people ahead of time. Some of them were ticked off that they didn't get to give us anything. At first I thought, "But I don't want or need any presents!" and then later I realized it wasn't about me, it was about them getting to make that choice for themselves.

But, all in all, I think it went off fantastically. :)

In general, though I know weddings mean different things to different people, I don't think anyone should have to strain themselves financially to have a wedding, or provide one for their kids.

We paid for ours...kind of.

It was a small, very low-key event out in the mountains; we hired a bus to take our guests on a sightseeing tour of the area, speeches were done at Maligne Lake which is where DH proposed.

Our reception was at our favourite restaurant in Jasper and as there were only 30 of us everyone was free to order whatever they wanted from the regular menu (so many cocktails!! Lol). When the meal was over and DH went to settle the bill we found out that my Dad and Stepdad has paid for it!! Such a kind gesture especially considering I was in my mid-30s...apparently I'm still their baby girl though!!

We paid for our own and have warned both daughters they will be paying for their own as well. We had 175 people, open bar, and huge buffet. Back in 1989.

Dh and I paid for our own. Ds1 and his wife paid for their own but we gave them a nice check and I think the father of the bride and the mother of the bride (divorced) also contributed. Ds2 is paying for their own wedding. We gave them the same nice check we gave ds1 but they are using it for their honeymoon and said that they can pay for the rest of it themselves.

We paid for our own wedding. The only thing the parents paid for was that MIL bought flowers for the reception venue the day before the wedding because she saw what we'd chosen and she didn't like it, and FIL let us use some of his frequent flyer miles to buy our plane tickets to the place where we took our honeymoon. But everything else was paid for by us.

DWs parents gave us a check, saying basically that is what they could afford to give us. We could use it all on the wedding, have a smaller wedding and pocket the rest as a wedding gift, etc. We chose (like idiots) to use it all on the wedding. Looking back, we should've had just a small wedding with immediate family members and used the rest for setting up house.

We paid for ours, I think my mom chipped in what she could for sandwiches at the reception, it was not a glamorous affair. :)

Well, first, wedding costs have gotten out of control. 35 years ago when DW and I got married the TOTAL cost including the honeymoon was $3,500. Myy MIL paid for the catering ($500) which was just hors d'oeuvres. We got married at 11 am, and our reception was at Noon on a Saturday because many of our co-workers had to be at work at 2:30 pm, so it was light on food. My mom paid for the honeymoon. We paid for everything else.
Traditionally the Groom's family pays for the rehearsal dinner, and the flowers. That set us back $7,000 last year for DS's wedding.
Traditionally the Bride's family pays for everything else.

DH and I paid for everything except the rehearsal dinner. My step-dad paid for that.

My dad gave us a set amount of money that he would contribute. He said that was the fixed amount and we could pocket anything left over. He recommended Vegas, then when we took him up on his suggestion he also paid for our plane tickets. I borrowed my wedding dress from a friend, bought a $700 wedding package and some extras and we walked away married with an extra $4,000 in our pockets.

My DDad paid for our reception (coctail hour, plated dinner and dance) and my wedding gown. My DSis paid for the cake as a wedding gift. DH and I paid for everything else (including attire for the entire bridal party).

We paid for everything for our wedding except for the Rehearsal dinner and Vienese table, DH's parents paid for that. Our venue cost $5,000 in 1996, plus I don't remember how much for limo's and photographer. No flowers, I put candles on the tables with a ceramic church for a favor.

My mom paid for the bulk. I paid for photographer and something else - cake maybe? Hard to remember all these years later...

My plan for my kids (boys) is to give them each a set amount of money and tell them to use it anyway they want. $7500 or so. Should cover something, at least! Maybe, if they are frugal, it will cover all of it :)

DW's parents paid for her dress & flowers, hall, and the meal.

My parents paid for the rehearsal dinner (and cut us a check comparable to what they spent on my sister's wedding).

DW & I paid for the DJ, church & everything related, photographer & videographer, the liquor, and the honeymoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter