Advice on dining plan

Mickeycrocs

Mouseketeer
hello all. So my family and I were lucky to get free dining in September at all star sports. I paid to upgrade to the regular dining plan but now second guessing myself. Going will be my MIL, husband and 2.5 year old. I'm just second guessing my choice a little bit because to be honest for the table service credits, I know there's lots of options but I'm not interested in park hopping or leaving the park to go to a resort to eat and then going back I just feel like it's too much of a hassle with my 2.5 year old. However, there are a few restaurants that we will undeniably will be eating at. Chef mickeys on the night we arrive, Ohana the morning we leave, and we got a table at Minnie's Halloween party at HS. So those would be the only table service we really want. Should I switch to the quick service plan and pay oop for those? Or keep the dining plan?

Do the math. Looks like you paid a little less than $60/night to upgrade the 3 of you. Chef Mickey will be $150, H&V is closer to $180, and Ohana is $96. That's about $420. You need to stay 7 nights to break even with just those meals.

A little planning advice. You're going in September. It is HOT and HUMID. You WILL need a break in the middle of the day. Even if you don't go back to your resort, you need to get yourself and your baby out of that heat. Plan some mid-afternoon TS breaks in the park you plan to visit if you're not going back to your resort. It's really not as difficult as it sounds. You may not have to plan them now. You can use the dining app on your phone to see what's available. Going to the resorts that are nearby the park-of-the-day doesn't take up that much time, and can refresh all of you to keep going.

Do the math. Looks like you paid a little less than $60/night to upgrade the 3 of you. Chef Mickey will be $150, H&V is closer to $180, and Ohana is $96. That's about $420. You need to stay 7 nights to break even with just those meals.

A little planning advice. You're going in September. It is HOT and HUMID. You WILL need a break in the middle of the day. Even if you don't go back to your resort, you need to get yourself and your baby out of that heat. Plan some mid-afternoon TS breaks in the park you plan to visit if you're not going back to your resort. It's really not as difficult as it sounds. You may not have to plan them now. You can use the dining app on your phone to see what's available. Going to the resorts that are nearby the park-of-the-day doesn't take up that much time, and can refresh all of you to keep going.
Thanks for your advice. It's the first time we've had any dining plan and have only been to Disney twice lol.

I agree that September it HOT. I planned a few TS lunches when were there last August. It was a really good decision. In DHS we booked Mama Melrose for a late lunch, in Epcot Rose & Crown. Three times. In DAK we winged it and had lunch at Flame Tree, which was shady, but looking back I think if we had planned on lunch at Yak and Yeti or Tusker House we would have lasted longer. It was brutal, even in the shade. The kids melted that day and it was all over before 2 in the afternoon.

I look at the ADR's as insurance. You think you have too many, you can cancel the day before, but you cannot always get what you want in parks at the last minute.

I also think leaving to go to a nearby resort is a break that is wonderful, especially if you are not taking real breaks during the day. In DAK and Epcot that is super easy. The kids may like heading over to Fort Wilderness to have lunch at Trails End, or Wilderness Lodge for Whispering Canyon Café, or might enjoy a boat or monorail ride to any of the monorail resorts.

Seeing that your MIL is going too you could see if the two of you could get a date night and eat at one of the 2 credit meals. There are so many dining options but just one negative that I see is that the length of time to do a TS meal - about an hour and a half or so might be a bit too long for a 2.5 yo. My DD just turned 3 she does pretty well in restaurants but with being on the go in the parks your little one might be too tired and cranky to handle all those TS meals and have it be a pleasant experience for all of you. Just something to consider, you know your child the best.

I understand feeling as if table service meals can be difficult with a toddler! Since you are doing some buffets already, maybe you could plan one or two additional restaurants that have food you would enjoy trying, but work well with children. Teppan Edo can be fun, garden grill has Chip and Dale and the food issues served family style. T-Rex or Rainforest Cafe, in Disney Springs can be fun if your little one isn't afraid. There is also a Rainforest Cafe at AK.

You've already 'paid for' the upgrade with the meals you've chosen, so if you add one or two additional table service meals, you'll be ahead. And that's before you even use your quick service entitlements!!

We debated upgrading our CS dining plan to the TS but we just don't want to actually sit through that many TS meals. We love so many of the CS meals. Also my 2.5 old doesn't love sitting at restaurants and wants to be on the move. Definitely do the math and don't forget all of the 18% tips that you still need to pay. We are doing 2 TS and I briefly thought of upgrading but when I did the math the tips were killing me. Disney food is expensive. The tips alone were almost the cost of a non-Disney meal for our family. I've only had great TS meals at Disney BUT they take SOOOO long. On average we've always waited 15-20 minutes just to be called to our table after waiting in a 5 minute line to check-in. Definitely crunch those numbers -money wise and time wise!

I agree with you, traveling to different resorts and going back to the park is a hassle with a little one. Since you mentioned that your little one doesn't like to sit at TS, you might want to think about buffets. That's what my family did when the kids were that age. We loved that the food was readily available, and that I could get what I wanted and not order based on what my toddler would want to share. Oh my goodness, that air conditioning will feel SO GOOD when you get to sit down -- and the fact that you have a table without having to search for it! But then again, I'm a fan of the dining plan so my opinion is biased. :)

hello all. So my family and I were lucky to get free dining in September at all star sports. I paid to upgrade to the regular dining plan but now second guessing myself. Going will be my MIL, husband and 2.5 year old. I'm just second guessing my choice a little bit because to be honest for the table service credits, I know there's lots of options but I'm not interested in park hopping or leaving the park to go to a resort to eat and then going back I just feel like it's too much of a hassle with my 2.5 year old. However, there are a few restaurants that we will undeniably will be eating at. Chef mickeys on the night we arrive, Ohana the morning we leave, and we got a table at Minnie's Halloween party at HS. So those would be the only table service we really want. Should I switch to the quick service plan and pay oop for those? Or keep the dining plan?

We are on vacation now with the Deluxe Plan, and we upgraded to the deluxe from free dining. For us, it was worth it because we ate at many signature restaraunts, but that is the ONLY reason. Overall, it is way too much food and you will never use, or even come close to using all of it. We also found one reservation for us would have been plenty. We only did 2 and that seemed like too much. We are having a great trip and our boys have really loved the character meals so no complaints. I just won't ever do the deluxe again.

Heh thanks @sharonabe. Can't stand when old posts crop up in my feeds... It got revived and moved to the top of the Dining list!

Last edited:
For $60/night I would keep the DDP. You've already got 3 meals planned and the math above from @sharonabe shows it's a pretty good value already. Your toddler cost you nothing, and we always loved TS meals when we had a toddler. It's just time to sit down and eat. Your mom will appreciate sit-down time too! And plan a date night where you go to a nice place w just the two of you and spend some points. Have fun and don't second guess it, you're fine.

Just a heads up....this thread is from May 2016 and the OP has already taken their trip. That doesn't mean your post and information isn't valuable, but didn't want to confuse the OP or others who may come along.

Just a heads up....this thread is from May 2016 and the OP has already taken their trip. That doesn't mean your post and information isn't valuable, but didn't want to confuse the OP or others who may come along.

Yes, Sorry I realized that after I posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter