Add-on days and airfare thru ABD

ILuvCrush

DIS Veteran
We are taking the London/Paris Gateway trip next year.

I want to add 2 nights prior to the ABD in London.

Post trip...I want to add 1 night in Paris.... then I want to do 3 nights at DLP (using my DVC points)

So my questions are...

If I book the extra nights thru ABD... is it a good price point compared to booking at the same hotels on my own??

Will we get to stay in the same room.... or will we have to move once the ABD trip starts/ends, even though its at the same hotel??

Can I book RT air thru ABD even though my return trip date dos not co-incide with the final hotelbooking date thru ABD??

I hope this makes sense!

TIA!
Paula

I haven't checked into this in a while, so some of the details may have changed, but here is my experience:

1)"If I book the extra nights thru ABD... is it a good price point compared to booking at the same hotels on my own??"

No. If you can book it on your own, it is generally MUCH cheaper to do so. Unfortunately, when I did a pre-day for my Alaska trip, the hotel we started the ABD in had no availability unless I booked it through ABD (which I ended up doing anyways, since I was arriving in the wee hours of the morning, and didn't want to have to deal with getting to the hotel, checking in, etc, by myself).

2) "Will we get to stay in the same room.... or will we have to move once the ABD trip starts/ends, even though its at the same hotel??"

You will get to stay in the same room if it's booked through ABD. If you book it yourself, it's a toss-up, you might or might not be able to stay in the same room.

3) "Can I book RT air thru ABD even though my return trip date dos not co-incide with the final hotelbooking date thru ABD??"

Yes. I arrived a day early, and stayed 2 days after the ABD in Alaska (the post-days I'd arranged myself), and ABD (or really, Disney travel) booked the airfare for me including the extra days. They don't use "consolidator" fares like cruiselines do. Basically, they just find the best airfare they can for you, and book it. You can actually do the research yourself, find exactly the flights you want, call ABD, give them the details, and they will book that exact ticket for you at the same price you find it for.

Sayhello

You can actually do the research yourself, find exactly the flights you want, call ABD, give them the details, and they will book that exact ticket for you at the same price you find it for.

I strongly recommend following this advice. I like to book my airfare through Disney just for the convenience of having everything handled in one place. I always let the rep check on her own first, in case she can come up with something better than what I've found. But both times that I've booked flights with them the rep came back with fares that were higher prices than what I found on my own. For the first trip, the best fare they found was more expensive and had a crazy long layover. So I told them what I had found and they booked it for me. So be sure to do your research first and if they find something better, great, but if not you know whether you're getting the best fare.

We added a night on each end of Enchanted China. We had thought about doing two nights prior, but were told then there would be no ABD transfer - and maybe even that they would not book the hotel. When you call, I am guessing they will explain the options on your trip.

It was my understanding that if you book the hotel on your own there is no transfer. You should check on that. That being said I would book the hotel on my own if I could get it at a big discount because transportation is a snap. The Renaissance Chancery Court is located less than a block from the Holborn Tube station - it is a straight shot from LHR, no transfers. So that you can compare, I've stayed there a half dozen times in the last few years and my room runs about $300 with breakfast.

It was my understanding that if you book the hotel on your own there is no transfer. You should check on that. That being said I would book the hotel on my own if I could get it at a big discount because transportation is a snap. The Renaissance Chancery Court is located less than a block from the Holborn Tube station - it is a straight shot from LHR, no transfers. So that you can compare, I've stayed there a half dozen times in the last few years and my room runs about $300 with breakfast.

Second all the advice about RCC. We got back from K&L last week. Went out a day early, booked one night ourselves at 1/2 the cost. Emailed the RCC, explained we would be staying with ABD and asked if we could check into the same room we would be using with ABD. They said no problem.

Took the tube from Heathrow Terminal 5 (Central line) to Holborn station, half block walk to hotel. It's about an hour ride, but was a snap, even jet lagged and with two roller suitcases (note that there is one set of down stairs you need to negotiate with your luggage).

However, the OP is doing the K&L Gateway, which I believe uses a different hotel than the RCC.

To OP: I wish we had done the Gateway tour. Even with the extra days we booked at the beginning and end there wasn't enough free time on the tour to do the things in London and Paris we wanted. And FWIW, most of the kids on our tour hated Versailles, despite the bike ride, so that's a day I wish we had back.

To OP: I wish we had done the Gateway tour. Even with the extra days we booked at the beginning and end there wasn't enough free time on the tour to do the things in London and Paris we wanted. And FWIW, most of the kids on our tour hated Versailles, despite the bike ride, so that's a day I wish we had back.

You made me feel so much better about my decision!! My DD wants to be able to shop (and probably boy gawk ;)) and was hoping to see a ballet in Paris (though now looks like we aren't going to be there during the season) So I wanted the looser itinerary.

I'm toying with the idea of doing Versailles on our own on 'check out' day from ABD. I found that on Sundays admisson to most areas is actually free. And the RER rates are reasonable. Would we see as much?? Nope. But we could have a relaxing day seeing what we wanted to at our own pace and get to see a little bit of the town too.

I'm sad that we will miss out on the Lion King. But I'm looking into booking that (or another show) on our own too. Theatre tix in London are so much more reasonable than NYC... so I'm sure we will do a show of some type.

Thanks so much for all the info everyone!!! Since the gateway trip actually uses a marriott in Paris... I'm toying with the idea of reserving the 1 night with my Marriott points. I'll have to check into the costs of renting the London room on my own vs thru disney. I'mglad that both methods seemto work out well!

Paula

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter