• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Abu's AWESOME August 2015 - W.I.S.H. Weight Loss Challenge! Any & All Welcome to Join!

Hi all! I am SO SORRY that I have been a stranger for the past month! I truly didn't mean to drop away without saying anything..... just one day lead to another and then I eventually felt like I had to come back strong and to lots of reading and replying and that was taking me FOREVER..... so I thought I'd at LEAST come on and say hello and let you all know I have truly missed chatting with you and reading about your victories and struggles. This is the LONGEST I have been away from the DISboards and from the WISH challenges since joining and it wasn't intentional or planned..... just a matter of life getting in the way!

My DD has just 9 days left here in the U.S. with me until her semester abroad and she LITERALLY just finished her summer internship this week.... so we are going HARD CORE getting her ready to go..... haircut and shopping today. Then school starts for DS (and myself) later this week! YIKES! I PROMISE that September will find me HERE much more regularly! Do we have a coach/hostess for September? I'll definitely have to check on that!

Hope you are all well. I'll be back REALLY SOON to chat!......................P

Hi all! I am SO SORRY that I have been a stranger for the past month! I truly didn't mean to drop away without saying anything..... just one day lead to another and then I eventually felt like I had to come back strong and to lots of reading and replying and that was taking me FOREVER..... so I thought I'd at LEAST come on and say hello and let you all know I have truly missed chatting with you and reading about your victories and struggles. This is the LONGEST I have been away from the DISboards and from the WISH challenges since joining and it wasn't intentional or planned..... just a matter of life getting in the way!

My DD has just 9 days left here in the U.S. with me until her semester abroad and she LITERALLY just finished her summer internship this week.... so we are going HARD CORE getting her ready to go..... haircut and shopping today. Then school starts for DS (and myself) later this week! YIKES! I PROMISE that September will find me HERE much more regularly! Do we have a coach/hostess for September? I'll definitely have to check on that!

Hope you are all well. I'll be back REALLY SOON to chat!......................P

We all understand that life gets in the way but look forward to having you back! HOW exciting for your DD!! Where is she going? And do you get to visit?

I agreed to coach/hostess for Sepember and will get the thread set up shortly. Just deciding between Sven and Sebastian - it is hard to make a choice between a loyal reindeer and a calypso crab!

View attachment 118490

HAPPY FRIDAY, LOSERS!

Hope everyone has some AWESOME weekend plans!

I weighed in this morning, and I'm up 2lbs again. That puts me back at a net gain of 3lbs for the month. So now instead of 7lbs to lose to get under 200, I need to lose 10.
:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

I'm SO frustrated. I've done 5 days of this HIIT program and while I didn't expect to lose 5lbs in 5 days, SOMETHING in the right direction would be nice. I don't know that I'm on the right track. I definitely don't feel like I'm active enough to justify the extra intake in calories/carbs, even with the HIIT routines, but I also don't know at what point my body is in "starvation mode" because my calories are too low. "Listening" to my body and just eating what and when I want is what got me here in the first place, so definitely not the best way to measure, lol. I'm completely at a loss! I don't know what to do. :(

QOTD for Friday, August 20, 2015:
What's been your biggest frustration with your goals/plans this month?
Soooooo sorry to hear about your frustration! I feel your pain. I did check out the HIIT program to see what you are doing. It is the latest recommended exercise program. Using the weight machines at my gym can give you the same effect. And I've noticed people using the cardio machines with this technique as well. What food plan are you on? I read you changed it up. And how many calories are you eating a day? You may be at a plateau for sure. But the new exercises may be recalculating how your body burns fat. Fat burning is what you are going for...maybe it takes a bit longer for the body to put this process in motion. Hang in there!

This is not a happy check in. I'm not surprised by this but I am UP to 213.4, UP 3.4 pounds for the month, and now at a weight I last saw on July 8. It isn't six weeks of lost progress. It is three weeks of lost progress and three weeks of my head just not being in the game. I am SO mad at myself right now. I have a good plan, I have motivation, I have tools, I have support. And. I just ignore it all.... And not even for good reason. CRAPPY PIZZA AND FAST FOOD TACOS ARE NOT GOOD REASONS TO GAIN 3.4 POUNDS.

Rant over. Sorry for the yelling.

The check-in!

-3.4/5 = -68%. 4/8 workouts complete = 50%. So that averages out to -9%. Awesome. I'm going to NOT go eat my feelings now.
I do believe we all have the exact same issue. Being angry with yourself is so familiar. It's like you know it's bad but you have no control. It really is a disease. One of the techniques I use (not always successfully) is when my mind starts thinking about the thing I want to eat....I shut it down right away. I've learned that my pattern begins by imagining what I want to eat. My mind finds the kitchen...then finds the place where the food item is stored....and then my body gets up to get it. So....when my mind begins the journey....I have to end it....right away. If I let it get to the kitchen my body just jumps up. And I feel horrible while I'm eating, after I'm done and all the next day. Figure out your pattern and then implement a strategy to change it. It works about 90 percent of the time for me so far. Let me know how you do.

This month has been better for me so far. Last month was not as good, so I'm happy that I'm almost at my goal of five pounds for the month. I am enjoying my exercise program and have not found it too frustrating to put it into my routine. Although, I had a doctor's apt. on Friday and had to leave extra early to go to the gym first. It felt like I was rushing to get through my routine, which I didn't enjoy as much. Do other folks feel that they have to rush, to just get the exercising done and over with? I think when I can have the mindset that I'm looking forward to going that I do much better. I hope this will be a key to maintaining a gym membership. Putting me first and loving what I'm doing in order to do that, may be the piece I have long been missing. How do other people feel about exercising?

We all understand that life gets in the way but look forward to having you back! HOW exciting for your DD!! Where is she going? And do you get to visit?

I agreed to coach/hostess for Sepember and will get the thread set up shortly. Just deciding between Sven and Sebastian - it is hard to make a choice between a loyal reindeer and a calypso crab!

Oooh I vote for Sebastian! Granted, I have freezer burn from Frozen being everywhere, so I might be a little biased. LOL.

@pjlla SO good to see you still alive and around! We've definitely missed you this month!! How fun and exciting for your DD - I wish I would've had the opportunity to study abroad in school. That is SO cool! Yes, where does she get to go, and do you get to visit?? Can't wait to have you back in September!

Soooooo sorry to hear about your frustration! I feel your pain. I did check out the HIIT program to see what you are doing. It is the latest recommended exercise program. Using the weight machines at my gym can give you the same effect. And I've noticed people using the cardio machines with this technique as well. What food plan are you on? I read you changed it up. And how many calories are you eating a day? You may be at a plateau for sure. But the new exercises may be recalculating how your body burns fat. Fat burning is what you are going for...maybe it takes a bit longer for the body to put this process in motion. Hang in there!

Well, the program I'm following is a 60-day program with specific routines worked out for each day. It's not just doing interval training and making it up as I go. It's an at-home program that's been designed to be done using mainly your own body weight and a treadmill, with hand weights thrown in intermittently. You have to pay for the program to get access to it, so I'm not sure what you looked up. It's definitely more intense and more involved than just using a weight machine or a treadmill in your routines. Like I said before, the formula that came with the program calculated my nutrients to be 2600 calories - 200 protein - 260 carbs - and 100 or so fat. That's just completely not doable. I used the same percentages to modify my nutrients to an 1800 calorie diet, with 150 protein - 100 carbs - 66 fat. Still very hard to get the calories in. It's a big increase from the 1200 calories - 150 protein - 50 and under carbs I was doing before, and I was barely hitting the 1200 calories then. High protein/low carb foods just don't generally contain a lot of calories. Like I've said many times, I've been in a plateau all month. I started this hoping there would be some change, but nothing yet. Not giving up. Just frustrating.

HAPPY SATURDAY, FRIENDS!!

It's our third week to weigh in! Can't wait to see everyone's results this week! I'm betting there will be some big numbers to add to the list!

I'll be back later tonight to catch up to everyone's posts properly. DH2B and I are running off to his mom's friend's house - there is a HUGE community yard sale here next month (we get people from all over the country that drive down for it! SO cool!) and they've agreed to give us a bunch of stuff to sell if we go get it and help them move some furniture around. We overslept, of course, so we're rushing out the door now to get there.

That being said, today's QOTW is going to be a light, fun weekend one!

QOTW for Saturday, August 22, 2015:
What fun weekend plans do you have? Parties, movies, cook outs, yard work, swimming, shopping, sleeping, cleaning? Anyone planning to spend some time meal prepping for next week?

weekend107.png

Throwing my vote in for Sebastian. It'll be fun to go Under The Sea for September... :D

What fun weekend plans do you have?

I'm headed to Ikea to pick up some organization boxes for my dresser. I just got into this book called The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up that details the Japanese-method of organizing your home. If you've seen it on Pinterest and blogs, it's labeled as the KonMari method and it's the one that says to organize clothes by color, get rid of things that don't spark joy, and doing all organization by category (ie: ALL clothes, not just closet). Figured it would be a great way to start with our new place. We move in a week and a half -- and not a moment too soon. The construction on the huge apartment complex next door started this morning at 630am. So over it!!

Last edited:
It's a small victory but for the first time in over a week, I actually managed to meet my MFP calorie goal today! Woo hoo!

I do believe we all have the exact same issue. Being angry with yourself is so familiar. It's like you know it's bad but you have no control. It really is a disease. One of the techniques I use (not always successfully) is when my mind starts thinking about the thing I want to eat....I shut it down right away. I've learned that my pattern begins by imagining what I want to eat. My mind finds the kitchen...then finds the place where the food item is stored....and then my body gets up to get it. So....when my mind begins the journey....I have to end it....right away. If I let it get to the kitchen my body just jumps up. And I feel horrible while I'm eating, after I'm done and all the next day. Figure out your pattern and then implement a strategy to change it. It works about 90 percent of the time for me so far. Let me know how you do.

This is really great advice. It is so sad to feel horrible about something while you are eating it but I do it all the time. Sometimes even before I start. I wouldn't just jump off a cliff but sometimes eating feels the same way. I've been trying to distract myself but I need to do a lot better. I am definitely going to try cutting the thoughts off sooner - thinking I should take a walk instead of eating potato chips when my hand is already on the bag is clearly too late.

This month has been better for me so far. Last month was not as good, so I'm happy that I'm almost at my goal of five pounds for the month. I am enjoying my exercise program and have not found it too frustrating to put it into my routine. Although, I had a doctor's apt. on Friday and had to leave extra early to go to the gym first. It felt like I was rushing to get through my routine, which I didn't enjoy as much. Do other folks feel that they have to rush, to just get the exercising done and over with? I think when I can have the mindset that I'm looking forward to going that I do much better. I hope this will be a key to maintaining a gym membership. Putting me first and loving what I'm doing in order to do that, may be the piece I have long been missing. How do other people feel about exercising?

Sometimes I feel the same way - if I have a lot of other things scheduled, exercise definitely becomes a to do list item that I try to check off as quickly as possible. I'm not a big fan of exercise at the best of times (I really hate being sweaty ) but I definitely do much better on my rare unscheduled days.

Oooh I vote for Sebastian! Granted, I have freezer burn from Frozen being everywhere, so I might be a little biased. LOL.

Throwing my vote in for Sebastian. It'll be fun to go Under The Sea for September... :D

That's two votes, so Sebastian it shall be! I'll get a thread posted in the next few days!!

What fun weekend plans do you have? Parties, movies, cook outs, yard work, swimming, shopping, sleeping, cleaning? Anyone planning to spend some time meal prepping for next week?

I had such a rough day on Friday that I was determined to hide in bed all weekend. Unfortunately/fortunately that didn't happen. I went out to lunch today (lovely light spa cuisine), did some cleaning, and watched a movie. I have brunch plans tomorrow and then DH and I plan to take the dog for an afternoon hike if the humidity stays low. I could really use an extra long weekend. I'm glad Labor Day is just around the corner but I need a week off!

I'm headed to Ikea to pick up some organization boxes for my dresser. I just got into this book called The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up that details the Japanese-method of organizing your home. If you've seen it on Pinterest and blogs, it's labeled as the KonMari method and it's the one that says to organize clothes by color, get rid of things that don't spark joy, and doing all organization by category (ie: ALL clothes, not just closet). Figured it would be a great way to start with our new place. We move in a week and a half -- and not a moment too soon. The construction on the huge apartment complex next door started this morning at 630am. So over it!!

I've heard of that book! I'm so unhappy with my clothes right now that I would be afraid I would be running around naked if I tried it. But it would probably be a great idea for the ridiculous number of books and housewares that find their way into my home.

HAPPY SATURDAY, FRIENDS!!

It's our third week to weigh in! Can't wait to see everyone's results this week! I'm betting there will be some big numbers to add to the list!

I'll be back later tonight to catch up to everyone's posts properly. DH2B and I are running off to his mom's friend's house - there is a HUGE community yard sale here next month (we get people from all over the country that drive down for it! SO cool!) and they've agreed to give us a bunch of stuff to sell if we go get it and help them move some furniture around. We overslept, of course, so we're rushing out the door now to get there.

That being said, today's QOTW is going to be a light, fun weekend one!

View attachment 118676
I'm down 1.4 pounds this week. I have achieved my five pound weight loss for the month...with a week to spare.

I'm down 1.4 pounds this week. I have achieved my five pound weight loss for the month...with a week to spare.

That's fantastic!! Congratulations! Keep doing what you're doing - finish August strong! Maybe you can hit 110% of your goal!

Oh man! Can you come do mine next? LOL. Good luck with your move! I hope everything goes smoothly. I hate moving with a passion, haha.

Week 3 Results:

Pounds Lost this week: 3
Total Lost: 8 of 8
Pounds to go: 0

:earseek:party:

I think my week 2 number percentage is off. I lost 5 of 8 pounds (5/8) and when I do the math it's 62.5%, not 40%.

WOOHOOOOOOOOOO for hitting 100%!!! Finish August strong! And so sorry for the error last week - I'll correct that! Not sure where my head was lol

My check in for the week. I'm down 1.5 pounds which actually makes 5 pounds for the month. 125% to goal! I only made it to the gym 3/5 days this week but I went this morning to make up for missing 2 days.

WOW, ANOTHER 100%er!!! That's amazing, you guys!! Way to go, @dsnyfn1022!!

WEEK THREE RESULTS
Hey everyone!! I know this is a little earlier than I normally do the update, so if you haven't posted your results yet, no worries! I'm SO excited to see some 100%'s on the list!! Way to go, losers!!

@JacknSally - 11.4% | 0% | 0%
@JennysSeven - 82% | // |
@IHeartDale - // | // |
@DisPup75 - 14.5% | 16.75% |
@SarahDisney - 17% | 0% | 0%
@dsnyfn1022 - 25% | 87% | 125%
@Connie96 - // | // |
@budz211 - // | // |
@Keithsmomma - 19.4% | // |
@ohMom - // | // |
@LadyRayado - // | // |
@alrushton - // | // |
@bigsis1970 - // | // |
@Rose&Mike - // | // |
@pjlla - // | // |
@courtneybeth - 31% | 62.5% | 100%
@ThistleMae - 84% | // | 100%
@ImpossibleOfMe - // | 38% |

Last edited:
How is everyone doing this weekend? Week FOUR starts tomorrow! Oh my goodness. August is on its way out! Don't get discouraged if you haven't hit your goal yet - there is still lots of time to make a difference! And no matter what your numbers at the end of the month, remember - each day you do SOMETHING to work toward that goal is one day closer you get!

Anyone around to chat today?? So looking forward to our September thread, hosted by the awesome @DisPup75. Looks like it's going to be an Under the Sea theme - can't wait!!

In personal updates, I took a couple of inadvertent rest days from my HIIT program this weekend. Friday I came home from work and immediately fell asleep. Then yesterday, we got back from picking up the stuff for the yard sale, and I was exhausted. Getting that stuff wasn't even hard work! I don't know what's going on. But I ended up taking a nap yesterday, too. By the time I woke up, it was time to head to my parents' house for our usual Saturday night visit. Today has been another fairly lazy day as far as workouts, but Sundays are laundry-cleaning-grocery store days, so even though they're a little lazy, they're very full.

I applied to a work-from-home position last night, basically doing customer service phone calls and emails. The exciting part? It's for the DISNEY COMPANY!!! How wonderful would that be?! Saying lots of prayers that it pans out - I updated my resume in a hurry so I could make sure I applied before the listing went away, but I don't think I put anywhere near enough emphasis on all my customer service background, so I'm worried it'll get thrown out. Fingers crossed!!

We're going back to the low-carb/high-protein eating with this HIIT program, and basically throwing out the calculations that came with it. I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do or not, but we're going to try it. We just kind of lose control when we allow more carbs into our diets, and both DH2B and I feel gross from the extra carbs and calories. My biggest fear is this "starvation mode" thing, though! I might feel like I'm eating enough through the day, but according to everyone (my doctor, the program people, etc.) 1200 calories is too low and I'm starving myself. But I don't know how to eat more! Blah. I wish this was less of a puzzle. Someone just tell me what to do LOL.

You've Got Mail is on CMT today. It makes me miss the 90's and AOL and that dial up tone LOL. And it REALLY makes me wish I lived in NYC in the fall.

Stayed up last night and figured out what FP's we're going to try to get! So excited. We get to pick them Tuesday at 11pm my time! Thankfully we're planning to be really laid back this trip, so there's nothing we feel like we HAVE to get.. No mad rush for Anna and Elsa or the Mine Train. Hopefully that makes our selections a little less stressful!

Well I have to say I have missed these boards and all the encouragement that comes with it. I knew August was going to have me without internet and thrown in the middle of 3 very busy weeks as I enjoyed a visit with my son for the first time in a year. I brought him to the airport late last evening and today the lonesomeness is silently telling me to comfort eat!!! I have resisted but its been a particularly hard day and the fight is not over yet. I just finished the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home and it did make me feel a little stronger. I have been reading the last months posts today and am hoping to be able to join Septembers challenge...Im on a final countdown as my next visit to WDW is Sept 30th for 4 days . Glad to be back. hope everyone is enjoying the last bits of summer !!!

:mickeyjum:dumbo::donald:

Quick check in for me... down a bit from last week, which puts me back at my starting weight, so still 0%. I don't think I'll hit goal this month, but I'm hoping to get at least part of the way there.

I had some international relatives visiting over the weekend (they're still around, just doing their own thing today) and then went to a baseball game today, which is why I've been MIA. I'll try to catch up this week if I have time.

Quick check in for me... down a bit from last week, which puts me back at my starting weight, so still 0%. I don't think I'll hit goal this month, but I'm hoping to get at least part of the way there.

We're in the same boat on this journey it looks like! I'm still holding strong at 0%, too. We can still make a difference, though, I know! Give it all you've got this week, really shake something up, and see if it gets you anywhere!

I've managed to string together TWO on plan days in a row! Woo hoo (said with only a little sarcasm)! Goal for Week Four is to get back to where I started the month. I'd much rather finish at 0% than the dreadful -9% that I am currently sitting at!!!

How is everyone doing this weekend? Week FOUR starts tomorrow! Oh my goodness. August is on its way out! Don't get discouraged if you haven't hit your goal yet - there is still lots of time to make a difference! And no matter what your numbers at the end of the month, remember - each day you do SOMETHING to work toward that goal is one day closer you get!

Anyone around to chat today?? So looking forward to our September thread, hosted by the awesome @DisPup75. Looks like it's going to be an Under the Sea theme - can't wait!!

In personal updates, I took a couple of inadvertent rest days from my HIIT program this weekend. Friday I came home from work and immediately fell asleep. Then yesterday, we got back from picking up the stuff for the yard sale, and I was exhausted. Getting that stuff wasn't even hard work! I don't know what's going on. But I ended up taking a nap yesterday, too. By the time I woke up, it was time to head to my parents' house for our usual Saturday night visit. Today has been another fairly lazy day as far as workouts, but Sundays are laundry-cleaning-grocery store days, so even though they're a little lazy, they're very full.

I applied to a work-from-home position last night, basically doing customer service phone calls and emails. The exciting part? It's for the DISNEY COMPANY!!! How wonderful would that be?! Saying lots of prayers that it pans out - I updated my resume in a hurry so I could make sure I applied before the listing went away, but I don't think I put anywhere near enough emphasis on all my customer service background, so I'm worried it'll get thrown out. Fingers crossed!!

We're going back to the low-carb/high-protein eating with this HIIT program, and basically throwing out the calculations that came with it. I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do or not, but we're going to try it. We just kind of lose control when we allow more carbs into our diets, and both DH2B and I feel gross from the extra carbs and calories. My biggest fear is this "starvation mode" thing, though! I might feel like I'm eating enough through the day, but according to everyone (my doctor, the program people, etc.) 1200 calories is too low and I'm starving myself. But I don't know how to eat more! Blah. I wish this was less of a puzzle. Someone just tell me what to do LOL.

You've Got Mail is on CMT today. It makes me miss the 90's and AOL and that dial up tone LOL. And it REALLY makes me wish I lived in NYC in the fall.

Stayed up last night and figured out what FP's we're going to try to get! So excited. We get to pick them Tuesday at 11pm my time! Thankfully we're planning to be really laid back this trip, so there's nothing we feel like we HAVE to get.. No mad rush for Anna and Elsa or the Mine Train. Hopefully that makes our selections a little less stressful!

I'm so excited that you applied for a job with the Disney Company! I would love to work for them!! And doing it from home would be awesome because it wouldn't require living in either Florida or Burbank! I keep hoping that I will age into one of those little old ladies who are cold when it is 90 degrees so I can retire in a Disney park! And yay to it being almost time for FP+ reservations!!

I don't have any trouble reaching 1200 calories or even the 1800 or so I try to eat on average. However, I do eat a good amount of carbs and that does make the numbers add up fast! And yes, the carbs do make it easy to lose control - I get really sick if I limit them too severely so I'm trying to figure out how to eat them without eating everything in sight! Could you add more calories with good fats - avocado, nuts, etc?

Well I have to say I have missed these boards and all the encouragement that comes with it. I knew August was going to have me without internet and thrown in the middle of 3 very busy weeks as I enjoyed a visit with my son for the first time in a year. I brought him to the airport late last evening and today the lonesomeness is silently telling me to comfort eat!!! I have resisted but its been a particularly hard day and the fight is not over yet. I just finished the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home and it did make me feel a little stronger. I have been reading the last months posts today and am hoping to be able to join Septembers challenge...Im on a final countdown as my next visit to WDW is Sept 30th for 4 days . Glad to be back. hope everyone is enjoying the last bits of summer !!!

:mickeyjum:dumbo::donald:

We would love to have you in September! Sebastian's September challenge will be up shortly (probably Tuesday or Thursday depending on what work horrors await me tomorrow!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter