AbD w/son w/physical disability

twinmum

DIS Veteran
Hello! We're thinking ahead to next summer, and considering a trip to Europe with our twin sons,who will then be 12. One of the boys has cerebral palsy and uses a walker or wheelchair for mobility. We cannot fathom planning a trip to London & Paris without help, even though my hubby and I have been to both cities a number of times - the accessibility issues are daunting.

We can easily manage helping with lifts/transfers, but Mark does need the walker or wheelchair at all times.

Has anyone had any experience with travelling w/AbD and have mobility issues...especially with a child?

Thank you!
Alison

Hello! We're thinking ahead to next summer, and considering a trip to Europe with our twin sons,who will then be 12. One of the boys has cerebral palsy and uses a walker or wheelchair for mobility. We cannot fathom planning a trip to London & Paris without help, even though my hubby and I have been to both cities a number of times - the accessibility issues are daunting.

We can easily manage helping with lifts/transfers, but Mark does need the walker or wheelchair at all times.

Has anyone had any experience with travelling w/AbD and have mobility issues...especially with a child?

Thank you!
Alison
I don't have any experience with mobility issues, but I will tell you that ABD's policy is that the Guides are not allowed to help lift/transfer/etc the person with the mobility issues. The people he's traveling with have to take full responsibility for that. I couldn't tell for sure from your post if you were aware of that. Here's that section from the ABD FAQ:

13) Are Adventure by Disney vacations appropriate for Guests with disabilities?

Certain activities on select itineraries will present challenges that may not be suitable for Guests with disabilities or special needs. Many adventures involve considerable walking, and depending on the destination, may include walking on uneven sidewalks and streets, narrow passages, and steep stairs and inclines. Adventures by Disney strongly recommends that Guests requiring assistance be accompanied by a companion who is capable of, and totally responsible for, providing assistance. Neither Adventures by Disney nor our Suppliers may physically lift or assist Guests onto transportation vehicles or otherwise. Please contact a Concierge Agent to discuss your specific needs.
That said, I'd give ABD a call and see what they say. I'm sure that they'll work with you as much as they possible can to work it out. One of the great things I've found about ABD is how adept they are at working with you to solve issues such as dietary/allergy restrictions, etc, so I'm sure that if it's possible, they'll work with you on this, and let you know what your son could/couldn't participate in.

I've heard great things about the London/Paris trip, and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Sayhello

Thanks for your reply! Oops, I did mean for my post to say that we can help our son with all transfers etc. It is generally the case that staff members anywhere cannot help with this, and we're used to it from WDW.

Your feedback is what I am expecting...still hoping that someone has actually experienced it or seen it in action.

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter