AAA - How does it work?

BeckWhy

<font color=FF99FF>The Tag Fairy prefers to remain
So, if I get a membership to AAA (and no, it won't be just to get discounts at WDW) how does it work when booking a WDW vacation? What type and how much discount do you get?

The resort discounts will vary by resort type and season. In general, the discounts range from 10%-20% off of the rack rate of the room. A limited number of rooms are set aside for AAA discounts and when they've been booked, no more open up. AAA rates are available for most of the year, with the exception of Holiday Season.

You do not need to book a room-only reservation thru a AAA TA. You can call WDTC or CRO directly and book the discounted rate or you can have any TA do it for you. If you want to book a AAA package, you must do it thru a AAA TA.

It all depends on where you want to stay and when you're going as to how much (if any) of a discount you'll get. I thought I'd give AAA a try this year to see how much it could save me. As it turns out, it saved us $0 on our WDW trip. We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 teenage children) plus we like having a mini kitchen. In our price range, our choices were All-Star Music Family Suite and Fort Wilderness Cabin. With the AAA discount, we could have gotten the Fort Wilderness Cabin for about the same price as the Family Suite (an approx $500 savings if used). The Family Suites are not eligible for discounts (maybe because they are new?) so no savings there. Anyway, we opted for the Family Suite because 1) 2 bathrooms!; and 2) we stayed at the FW cabins before (and liked them) but opted for something different this trip.

So, in answer to your question, maybe?! :confused3 It all depends on where you want to stay and your dates of travel. Good luck! ;)

And you may get 'freebies' that are not offered thru other travel agencies. We used AAA to book our trip in June and we got a free world globe (among other freebies). :confused3

Well.. our trip would be early December (9 - 16th of 2007 I believe) and we wouldn't be looking for anything too special. Standard room at any of the resorts, I suppose. Of course, because of our budget it would be Values (but depending on a discount we may opt for a moderate or even AKL or WL or something).

I guess... my question is more like, can we book at vacation package with the dining plan through AAA (assuming one of us had it) and get a discount if available?

BeckWhy said:
I guess... my question is more like, can we book at vacation package with the dining plan through AAA (assuming one of us had it) and get a discount if available?

Absolutely! And, the sooner you call, the better chance you have of getting what you want, with the discount.

And, with the dining plan, you get the AAA Storytelling Experience which is pretty cool!

Yes, you could book it right now b/c AAA rates are available for 2007. Since you want a package, you will need to get quotes from a AAA agent. Ask them to give you a price with and without trip insurance so that you know what you're dealing with. Also, ask them if they add any booking fees to the package (some do) and get their cancellation policy (in case it differs from Disney's).

For Value and Moderate resorts booked during the value season, you can expect a 20% discount off of the rack rate of the room if a discount is available. For AAA packages, only the room portion of the package is discounted, but it's better than nothing, right?

You can always book your vacation package now and change the reservation if a better discount becomes available later in 2007.

belleandthebeast said:
And, with the dining plan, you get the AAA Storytelling Experience which is pretty cool!

Can you tell me more about this?

I appreciate everyones input. I really want AAA (not for vacation purposes, but more for towing purposes; my car broke down twice in two weeks and I had to have it towed both times and if I had AAA it would have paid for it and saved me some money). Anyways, right now I don't have a job, so I can't afford a AAA membership (I'm hoping for one for a Christmas present) (amonst not having a job I am unsure if I can even afford a vacation). But moving on, I just was really curious what I could possibly get from AAA. Their website wasn't very clear on much of anything. If I get a job, or membership for Christmas, I will be sure to call and price a vacation out and find out their cancellation policies and such. Thank you so much.

I guess now that I think about it.. does AAA offer discount airfare?

Edit: I also would like to know, if anyone knows, what are the discounts during value season for the Mods and Deluxes?

Don't forget some other discounts that come with it. Just some off the top of my head 10% in Payless shoestores. 15% New York & Company. We have also used it for purchasing some tickets here and there. Used it for Amtrak twice (to WDW and West Palm Beach). I don't think there is any discount for airfare. Also used discount (three of us) for the Driver's defense course. Every bit helps. There is a lot more (and a lot we have no use for, but others might). Definitely worth it for towing though. My son needs to be towed every 2/3 months. My other son - once and my husband a few times. The winter is coming and I think it's time to get my son a new car - not worth all the mechanic/shop bills.

I hope you receive the membership as a Christmas gift. Give little hints - or if you receive any cash gifts - put it towards a membership.

Good Luck.

AnnaS said:
Don't forget some other discounts that come with it. Just some off the top of my head 10% in Payless shoestores. 15% New York & Company. We have also used it for purchasing some tickets here and there. Used it for Amtrak twice (to WDW and West Palm Beach). I don't think there is any discount for airfare. Also used discount (three of us) for the Driver's defense course. Every bit helps. There is a lot more (and a lot we have no use for, but others might). Definitely worth it for towing though. My son needs to be towed every 2/3 months. My other son - once and my husband a few times. The winter is coming and I think it's time to get my son a new car - not worth all the mechanic/shop bills.

I hope you receive the membership as a Christmas gift. Give little hints - or if you receive any cash gifts - put it towards a membership.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the extra info. My mom asked me today how much a membership cost. I looked it up. There are two options in my neck of the woods, like a regular and a premium. I think if I get a job in town then a regular one would be ok for me (since towing wouldn't be that far; the towing allowance or whatever is 3 miles), but if I get a job somewhere else outside of the city, then I would def need the premium (towing is 100 miles). Of course I could just stick to the regular for now, since I haven't been driving that much lately, and upgrade later. I'm sure I can do that.

When you sign up or whatever, do they give you a list of places and how much the discount is? Or is it just a hit and miss?

Can I put my two cents in?

If you do a lot of traveling by car, then I sugget getting the premium membership... we had our car towed to our home town when we broke down... only had to pay for 2 miles... not bad if you get to use the towing. They do put a limit on how many uses though.

BeckWhy said:
I guess now that I think about it.. does AAA offer discount airfare?

Edit: I also would like to know, if anyone knows, what are the discounts during value season for the Mods and Deluxes?
I'm not aware of any airfare discounts but they do offer Amtrak discounts and Hertz Car Rental discounts.

As far as WDW resort discounts during value season, the value and moderate resorts would be 20% off of rack rate, the deluxes are 15% off.

The AAA perks at WDW can change at any time. The following are what I have as a AAA-Midatlantic member:
  • Disney Character Storytelling experience with select AAA Vacations® packages. Guests can enjoy an intimate storytelling experience in a Theme Park with a Character from a classic Disney animated feature. (Theme Park admission, advance reservations and voucher required. Select days, limited seating and block out dates apply. Subject to availability.)
  • EXCLUSIVE - The AAA Vacations ® Diamond Card provides special savings to AAA Vacations ® clients on select meals, merchandise, recreation, and more, at participating locations. The AAA Vacations ® Diamond Card may only be used during the package stay. All benefits are not valid with any other offer, discount, or promotion. Other restrictions and exclusions may apply. All dining discounts exclude tax and gratuity.
  • The How To Guide - a 40-page, full color booklet packed with everything from Theme Park maps and children’s activities, to tours, Disney Character Dining and special tips to make your AAA Vacations® package stay the most magical ever.
  • EXCLUSIVE - AAA Diamond Parking Convenient Preferred Parking in spaces is available at all four Walt Disney World® Theme Parks (block-out dates apply)
  • AAA Vacations® keepsake luggage tag (one per person).
  • AAA Disney Magic Moments® Savings for AAA/CAA members.

As others have pointed out, there are a number of other savings benefits from shopping to hotel discounts to insurance plans. It's well worth having for the roadside assistance. My DD16 will be testing for her drivers license in a couple of days. She'll be getting an associate AAA membership in her stocking. She's driving an 11yo car and I want to know that she'll have coverage in case something happens.

We have four drivers/four cars. We also have the premium. You must purchase it for all the drivers. If I remember correctly, you are offered the premium after three years of membership. I could be wrong. Also - if you are a passenger in someone's car and that driver has any problem - you could call aaa and be covered.

Again - it's great to have and hope you will get one. :)

aka-mad4themouse said:
I'm not aware of any airfare discounts but they do offer Amtrak discounts and Hertz Car Rental discounts.

As far as WDW resort discounts during value season, the value and moderate resorts would be 20% off of rack rate, the deluxes are 15% off.

The AAA perks at WDW can change at any time. The following are what I have as a AAA-Midatlantic member:
  • Disney Character Storytelling experience with select AAA Vacations® packages. Guests can enjoy an intimate storytelling experience in a Theme Park with a Character from a classic Disney animated feature. (Theme Park admission, advance reservations and voucher required. Select days, limited seating and block out dates apply. Subject to availability.)
  • EXCLUSIVE - The AAA Vacations ® Diamond Card provides special savings to AAA Vacations ® clients on select meals, merchandise, recreation, and more, at participating locations. The AAA Vacations ® Diamond Card may only be used during the package stay. All benefits are not valid with any other offer, discount, or promotion. Other restrictions and exclusions may apply. All dining discounts exclude tax and gratuity.
  • The How To Guide - a 40-page, full color booklet packed with everything from Theme Park maps and children’s activities, to tours, Disney Character Dining and special tips to make your AAA Vacations® package stay the most magical ever.
  • EXCLUSIVE - AAA Diamond Parking Convenient Preferred Parking in spaces is available at all four Walt Disney World® Theme Parks (block-out dates apply)
  • AAA Vacations® keepsake luggage tag (one per person).
  • AAA Disney Magic Moments® Savings for AAA/CAA members.

As others have pointed out, there are a number of other savings benefits from shopping to hotel discounts to insurance plans. It's well worth having for the roadside assistance. My DD16 will be testing for her drivers license in a couple of days. She'll be getting an associate AAA membership in her stocking. She's driving an 11yo car and I want to know that she'll have coverage in case something happens.

I posted yesterday the discounts for dining and where yesterday on the codes and rates board - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1286828

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter