A Wedding, A Honeymoon, and Lots of Disneyland Dining Updated 7/22

After we were seated at our table, we looked over the menus.
decor 1.jpg

Very pretty menu. All the details were considered when they created this restaurant.

We decided to split a salad and a main course with a side, especially since there was really only one main course either of us was interested in. While I'm sure it pleases many, we found that there were mostly meat items available here. Even those famous biscuits have bacon baked into them. :sad:

We were happy to learn that the bread they serve to the table did not have bacon in it:
bread.jpg

Everyone, I am really sorry about the quality of these pictures! The room was so dark, and we did not want to annoy everyone with our flash, so we had to use a longer exposure to take these, and apparently we did not do the greatest job.

This bread was so tough and hard! I know some people really like bread this way. We laughed, because we felt like we were going to rip our teeth out eating it.

After the bread, we were served our salad:
salad.jpg
Heirloom Tomato & Avocado Salad - Baby Arugula, Fresh Basil, Yellow Tomato Vinaigrette.

They did not split this onto two plates for us. I really feel like at a nicer restaurant, I've come to expect that, even if they charge a split plate fee. It just looks nicer that way.

Either way, we both enjoyed this salad. However, the tomatoes were nothing to die for. Usually I think of heirloom tomatoes as the richest most flavorful tomatoes. These tasted like the tomatoes we buy at the grocery store in Denver. Nothing wrong with that, just nothing too special either.

For our entrée, we'd decided to split the vegetable risotto, along with a side of mashed potatoes.

risotto.jpg
Summer Garden Risotto - with Peas, Portobello Mushrooms, raised Radish and Spinach AND Country Whipped Potatoes

This picture is even worse, and I completely apologize!

Once again, they brought an extra plate, and the risotto and mashed potatoes were served in large bowls.

The risotto was good. It was nice and tender, and unlike the heirloom tomatoes, the veggies really did taste garden fresh, in particular the sweet peas and the yummy carrots. There were carrots of all colors in here, even some purple ones. I thought that was a nice touch. Overall the seasonings were fairly mild, which I liked, because it allowed the tasty veggies to really shine.

The mashed potatoes were ok. They were super salty, so much so that it was hard to eat too many. (Have you had the mashed potatoes at Buca di Beppo? They were like that.) It was an odd contrast to the fresh and mild taste of the risotto.

At this point, we weren't terrible wowed by the food, and we knew we had a cupcake back in the room, so we skipped dessert altogether.

For both of us, Carthay Circle wasn't anything close to the experience of Napa Rose. While this made us sad, it just left us all the more excited for the reopening of Napa Rose and to eat there on a future trip.

Back in the room, we enjoyed our delicious chocolate wedding cupcake, and even though the dinner wasn't the tastiest or best meal we've ever eaten, we enjoyed the experience.
cupcake.jpg

I enjoy instant mashed potatoes from time to time. So powdery and smooth lol.)
Blashphamey ; )
We were stoked to come back for a meal there during our honeymoon, only sadly, that restaurant was closed most of the summer for a major refurbishment.
How disappointing. We ate at Napa Rose during our honeymoon and it was a great meal. Guess that is the bad thing about Disneyland, unlike in the world if something is closed there aren't a ton more options there.
I was told it came with a special surprise! (Glow cube? :scratchin)
:rotfl2:
The interior of this restaurant, from the lounge to the seating areas, really is quite nice. We enjoyed that, and we definitely didn't feel like we were in a theme park.
What is the theme of this place? It looks a little 50's prime time meets liberty tree tavern to me (in only the best of ways of course)
Heirloom Tomato & Avocado Salad - Baby Arugula, Fresh Basil, Yellow Tomato Vinaigrette.
This look delicious, but I"m a sucker for all things arugula
The risotto was good. It was nice and tender, and unlike the heirloom tomatoes, the veggies really did taste garden fresh,
Good risotto is truly a thing of beauty. I make some with fresh english peas almost every spring and its simple and perfect

Blashphamey ; )

How disappointing. We ate at Napa Rose during our honeymoon and it was a great meal. Guess that is the bad thing about Disneyland, unlike in the world if something is closed there aren't a ton more options there.

:rotfl2:

What is the theme of this place? It looks a little 50's prime time meets liberty tree tavern to me (in only the best of ways of course)

This look delicious, but I"m a sucker for all things arugula

Good risotto is truly a thing of beauty. I make some with fresh english peas almost every spring and its simple and perfect

I like how you did that cut and paste thing with the quotes. I don't know how to do that, so I'll just respond this way:

Yes, I do love instant mashed potatoes!

You are correct about DL; when one great place is closed...that might be the only great place (at least when it comes to a finer dining experience anyway. I kind of think Carthay Circle was supposed to be that alternative, but I think they have some refinements to make.

The restaurant is modeled after the famous theatre in Hollywood that premiered Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs...so you are close about 50s, because I think that was 40s...I think it would be old world Hollywood...like Tower of Terror minus the spiderwebs and the...terror. :)

I remember how much you love arugula! You know I generally dislike arugula. For me, it has a very specific place in a dish, and a lot of times I feel like its misplaced. I think the first time I ever enjoyed arugula, I was eating a pizza in Naples, and it was perfect. The vinaigrette on this salad was nice, and the arugula had a place. I was just disappointed that the tomatoes didn't seem as sweet and flavorful as I expected.

The risotto was really pretty before I "deconstructed" :lmao:it on my split plate. I myself have never personally tackled risotto at home. I have a hard enough time with rice and lentils. You are a brave cook (and your husband is a chef, so cooking for him would be intimidating I would think).

I agree that DCA is lacking in the breakfast department. I really love Whitewater Snacks for breafast tucked away at the GCH, they have a nice little menu and the prices aren't too bad. Flo's looks delicious, I have never tried it but would like to on a future trip. I always wind up getting a cozy cone!! Looking forward to the rest of your Napa Rose visit :)

You know I've heard about Whitewater Snacks, and I'm embarrassed to say we wanted to try it but could never find it. We always got a little mixed up downstairs at the GCH, and we had to ask directions almost every time anyway. Maybe next time...

Yes Flo's breakfast is good, I think. I've only had the French Toast, and it is delicious, but very very sweet, and in general, I don't crave sweet for breakfast. The other dishes all have meat. My mom has had some kind of tamales there (I think they were breakfast), and she really liked those.

love the shoes (and naturally the drinks pics) thanks for posting :)

Those drinks were very pretty! ;)

The next morning, we were up early and headed in to DL to beat the crowds. It was actually one of the lightest mornings ever. That's because we had an early entry day due to being resort guests, which formerly staying at the Hojo isn't something we've been able to enjoy!

We took a quick flight through outer space before hitting up our favorites in Fantasyland.

There were no people there!
FL.jpg

This is exactly how I love Fantasyland!

happy.jpg

Our ride vehicle for Snow White could not have more perfectly summarized how I was feeling right about now. :)

We caught all of the main attractions in Fantasyland, even managing to take a spin on Dumbo with no waiting.

flowers.jpg

It was just a beautiful, pretty flowers kind of day...

After we'd had our fill of rides, we needed to fill up on some breakfast.

We headed to Tomorrowland Terrace where we'd had an excellent breakfast burrito on a previous trip.

Only guess what...they changed their menu!

We were totally unprepared for this! Instead, they only had the breakfast burrito with chorizo in it. With the absence of the veggie breakfast burrito at Tomorrowland Terrace, the only vegetarian option for breakfast was a fruit plate. We saw one woman going by with the "fruit plate" and it literally was a plate with cantaloupe and honeydew cubes on it. Not very interesting, and definitely not what we had in mind for breakfast.

After making a walk to Carnation Café hoping we could get in without a reservation (we couldn't), we stopped off at Jolly Holiday for breakfast, because on our last trip they'd had the best quiche ever at this restaurant! Only guess what?! No more vegetarian quiche at Jolly Holiday either! Now the only two quiches they offer had meat baked into them!

Saddened and frustrated (and very hungry), we headed back to Tomorrowland Terrace to order the breakfast burrito without the chorizo, hoping they could at least do this.

When I made the request to the girl at the counter, she gave me a look as if I'd asked for some sort of food from outer space. She told me it was better with the chorizo in it. I explained we don't eat meat, and she said, "We have a fruit plate."

I explained that we really just wanted a breakfast burrito with anything in it but meat. Her face lit up and she said, "Are you allergic to meat?"

I again explained that we don't eat meat at all, but that we are not allergic. Finally she asked for the "chef." I use that term very lightly, and I wish Disney didn't call anyone in charge of cooking something a "chef." A young guy came up front, we explained our situation, and he agreed that yes, they could make us a breakfast burrito without chorizo. He said it would take longer, because the eggs are scrambled with the chorizo, so they'd have to make ours from scratch. (Why not use the eggs from the scrambled egg platter, which are NOT scrambled with chorizo? But what do I know; after all, he is the "chef.")

So at this point we'd been walking about 45 minutes trying to decide what to do about breakfast, and we spent ten minutes explaining what being a vegetarian is and then waiting for our chef, and do you know what?

We waited a full 20 minutes for our breakfast burritos.

We watched as group after group came up and made custom orders and received their food...we watched platter after platter of scrambled eggs go by.

When we finally got our breakfast burritos, our tortillas were so hard that you could cracked them in two.

I have no idea how they managed to achieve this. By this time, I was MAD! :mad: Like flames coming out of my ears mad!

I can't believe I managed to keep it together to photograph the pathetic burrito:
tl terrace.jpg

But I did. I know this is kind of a gross picture, but there it is.

It was served with a side of fruit, which incidentally is also a smaller version of the fruit plate:
fruit.jpg

We got some pineapple and blueberries, too, though. Pretty sure there were no blueberries on the fruit plate. So score for us!

This breakfast came a little too late for me. I ate enough not to feel like one of those "You're not you when you're hungry," Snickers commercials, and then we headed off to City Hall to make our first ever complaint.

(Don't worry, lunch and dinner turn out much better!)

Yikes - I fell way behind. Still enjoying your DR. Loved the reception pictures and descriptions.

We ate at CC once for a WoC dinner - I have to admit that I was underwhelmed as well. I was sad about that because I really love the look and feel of the place. I intend to give it another try, but I don't feel terribly encouraged after reading your review.

:scared1: Your Tomorrowland Breakfast Odyssey sounds horrific!!! I don't think we've ever done a true QS breakfast at WDW or DLR (we always bring something to grab in the room or have a character breakfast, I guess), so I really had no clue what the options were. Or how limited they are for anyone who is "allergic to meat"........

I like how you did that cut and paste thing with the quotes. I don't know how to do that, so I'll just respond this way:
Took me a while to figure out, but you just highlight the text you want and when you "let go" a +Quote symbol pops up

I remember how much you love arugula! You know I generally dislike arugula. For me, it has a very specific place in a dish, and a lot of times I feel like its misplaced. I think the first time I ever enjoyed arugula, I was eating a pizza in Naples, and it was perfect. The vinaigrette on this salad was nice, and the arugula had a place. I was just disappointed that the tomatoes didn't seem as sweet and flavorful as I expected.
That pizza sounds divine. But i'm sure anything in naples would be perfect. I clearly have an arugula obesession. Just ate it for dinner the other night with some olive oil and salt ; )

have a hard enough time with rice and lentils. You are a brave cook (and your husband is a chef, so cooking for him would be intimidating I would think).
He's just happy someone else is doing the cooking and with risotto I find it the perfect excuse to linger over some white wine while I cook it ; )

Our ride vehicle for Snow White could not have more perfectly summarized how I was feeling right about now.
I totally forgot that Snow White was still at DL. It's been 8 years since we've been. Gonna have to fix that soon.

Finally she asked for the "chef." I use that term very lightly, and I wish Disney didn't call anyone in charge of cooking something a "chef."
Amen sista!

We waited a full 20 minutes for our breakfast burritos.
I can't believe what you all had to go through and all the trouble. Completely ridiculous.

I have no idea how they managed to achieve this. By this time, I was MAD! :mad: Like flames coming out of my ears mad!
I don't blame you at all. You should have spoken to the chef about it :P

(Don't worry, lunch and dinner turn out much better!)
It certainly can't get worse.

That salad looks lovely!

Yikes - I fell way behind. Still enjoying your DR. Loved the reception pictures and descriptions.

We ate at CC once for a WoC dinner - I have to admit that I was underwhelmed as well. I was sad about that because I really love the look and feel of the place. I intend to give it another try, but I don't feel terribly encouraged after reading your review.

:scared1: Your Tomorrowland Breakfast Odyssey sounds horrific!!! I don't think we've ever done a true QS breakfast at WDW or DLR (we always bring something to grab in the room or have a character breakfast, I guess), so I really had no clue what the options were. Or how limited they are for anyone who is "allergic to meat"........

Too bad about CC. :( I honestly think the difference is because it is in the park...maybe they can't keep up with the volume as well as expectation of speed that people have when eating IN a park versus NEAR one. I think part of my disappointment is because my expectation was so high. From now on, it's Napa Rose all the way for me...

Just ate it for dinner the other night with some olive oil and salt ; )

:p

Took me a while to figure out, but you just highlight the text you want and when you "let go" a +Quote symbol pops up

Hey thanks! Clearly your instructions helps me figure it out! :yay:

I totally forgot that Snow White was still at DL. It's been 8 years since we've been. Gonna have to fix that soon.

Don't forget Mr. Toad! This year is the 60th anniversary with the return of the Main Street Electrical Parade (say what you will about the one at MK in WDW, but the original floats are returning to the original Main Street!!!). It's called Paint the Night now, but I've heard they have maintained the original music as well as many of the original floats...

And they've created a special anniversary version of WOC...redesigned Grizzly Peak and of course there's the new Cars Land, which is pretty phenomenal.

So maybe this year is a good time to go...;) (Feel like upgrading those APs to Premier Passports?)

We are planning to go for a week in August, just prior to our anniversary. Then we'll spend our anniversary down south in San Diego again.

Still tuning in but I have to say post-wedding the food so far looks disappointing - hoping it gets better for you:)

Lunch got a lot better!

We knew where we wanted to go, in order to enjoy a meal that is one of our favs! The French Market in New Orleans Square!

I just love the ambience, and I also totally love the shrimp salad!

dsc04880.jpg

They call it a shrimp salad, but it really is like an open-faced sandwich. There is a role under there, which is nice and soft and tasty! Then there is the shrimp salad, as well as a drizzle of mustard sauce on top. The mustard sauce is nice and creamy, with whole mustard seeds sprinkled throughout. It's not terribly spicy or mustard-y at all. There are some greens, too. This dish never disappoints, and I hope it remains on the menu there for a long time!

This is normally served with one side, either coleslaw or grapes. I asked the woman if I could have half chips/half coleslaw as my side, and she did not mind obliging at all. I think I got a pretty good portion of chips. If you've never had the chips at French Market, you must! They are homemade chips, and they are very mildly seasoned. I love the chewiness and thickness of them. Very potatoe-y, if that is a thing. :)

DP and I split this lunch, knowing we were having a bigger dinner later (WOC dining at Ariel's Grotto) and also that I was planning to have a snack in the afternoon.

You see, it did get better (although the quality of the photos did not!).

Up next, a couple of tasty treats!

Still tuning in but I have to say post-wedding the food so far looks disappointing - hoping it gets better for you:)

Thanks! I know it seems like maybe the food was disappointing...even though there haven't been any real stars so far, we were having a great time and enjoying every bite (except maybe those breakfast burritos). I'm just trying to keep it real for the review, but let's face it, we were on our honeymoon at our favorite place! Even with a little food hiccup, we were on :cloud9:.

Don't forget Mr. Toad! This year is the 60th anniversary with the return of the Main Street Electrical Parade (say what you will about the one at MK in WDW, but the original floats are returning to the original Main Street!!!). It's called Paint the Night now, but I've heard they have maintained the original music as well as many of the original floats...
I'm so utterly clueless. I forgot Mr. Toad was still at DL. Gotta bow down to the original.

Don't think we'll make the 60th. Notionally thinking we may get out there next August before my daughter starts kindergarten, but we'll see...

They call it a shrimp salad, but it really is like an open-faced sandwich. There is a role under there, which is nice and soft and tasty! Then there is the shrimp salad, as well as a drizzle of mustard sauce on top. The mustard sauce is nice and creamy, with whole mustard seeds sprinkled throughout. It's not terribly spicy or mustard-y at all. There are some greens, too.
YUM! This looks great. Kind looks like a lobster roll to me, sans the lobster of course. And the mustard sauce sounds delicous

Gorgeous wedding photos!!!!

Thank you so much!

I'm so utterly clueless. I forgot Mr. Toad was still at DL. Gotta bow down to the original.

Don't think we'll make the 60th. Notionally thinking we may get out there next August before my daughter starts kindergarten, but we'll see...

YUM! This looks great. Kind looks like a lobster roll to me, sans the lobster of course. And the mustard sauce sounds delicous

Keri,
Yes the "shrimp salad" does kind of remind me of a lobster roll. The flavors are really complex and interesting for a quick serve "sandwich." I'd highly recommend it!

Next August sounds great! We will be going for the 60th anniversary in August this year, so hopefully (if I ever wrap this up), I'll be able to post some neat pics.

Hello everyone, sorry for the major delay in this report. I hopefully will have some time to devote and can knock out quite a few reports this week to keep this thing moving. For those of you still reading, thank you so much! I love writing these reports, but then life gets hectic. In case anyone wonders, real estate woes are to blame for my delay. Hopefully that will be settling down soon as we have one move behind us!

For dinner this evening (back at DL), we met my cousin and his girlfriend at Ariel's Grotto. I thought this was a wonderful idea; it was their wedding gift to us. We did the WOC dining, so we all got FPs to WOC, too.

I hadn't been to Ariel's since they first opened and used to do the fixed price dining with the food delivered to you on those tiered trays. I will admit, we were NOT impressed with our food there at that time.

Since then, the menu and the method of presentation has changed significantly. The prices are still high, though.

We all started with their beautiful bread basket:
rolls.jpg

This was a neat pull-apart basket of sourdough bread. It was as expected.

We all had salads, which I did not photograph. (I felt funny taking pictures of our food with my cousin and his girlfriend there, until I found out that they do it, too!)

I chose the shrimp pasta as my entree:
pasta.jpg

I will admit that I wans't too excited about this. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it. But then I started eating...and eating...and eating.

It was absolutely delicious. The sauce was a very light pomodoro style sauce, and the dish was filled with large, tasty shrimp. I ate every shrimp and couldn't finish all of the pasta. This picture does not do justice to the size of this dish. If you aren't eating here for the fast pass to WOC (where everyone has to order an entrée), two people could easily split this dish.

DP chose the corn cakes:
corn cake.jpg
(picture taken from trip advisor because I failed to get a photo)

She enjoyed the corn cakes, and was just happy to have a true vegetarian option. Initially I had wanted to taste these, but after I found out how good my pasta was, I had no interest in these. Sorry I can't comment too much except to say that she liked them.

My cousin and his gf both got the tri-tip with lobster tail:
tri tip.jpg

Sorry for another horrible picture! I promise they get a little better from here on out.

They both enjoyed their meal, and they each ate every last bite! The mashed potatoes looked really good, and I wished that I had some of those. The meat seemed to be cooked to their liking.

The service was fast (too fast actually, bread, salad and meals all on the table at one point), but we did barely leave in time for WOC. We walked right up to Ariel's FP viewing area with just a few minutes to spare, and we got right in to the near front of the area. We had a great view of the show and really enjoyed the evening. Based on my experience with the pasta, I would go back to Ariel's again. I was so happy that my cousin gave us a reason to give it another try!

This review will be known as the review of many apologies. I said the pictures get better, but as of our next day's food pictures, I'm not so sure...

After we enjoyed our awesome viewing spot for WOC, we headed back to the room and slept soundly. We were especially relieved, because we knew that next day, we'd be sleeping in! I swear it's like the first time in months that I'd let poor DP sleep in.

We slept late, drank our in-room coffee, and then headed to the valet to claim our car. Today was beach day!

After sitting in traffic for what felt like hours (actually it was hours), we finally made it to our favorite little OC beach, Newport. It's just such a nice, easy drive from DL, even if it wasn't on this particular day.

Because the drive took so long, we were too hungry to just hit the beach once we arrived. We made our first stop at our favorite OC beach eatery, Charlie's Chili.

charlie's.jpg

I've reviewed it in other reviews, and I'll probably keep reviewing it. How much do we love this place?! A LOT!

We always go for one thing, although sometimes we split other items too. This particular day, since it was the first thing we'd eaten all day and we knew we'd be swimming and splashing around on the beach, we wanted to start by taking it easy.

We ordered one order of the vegetarian chili cheese fries:
chili.jpg

Now isn't this just about the worst picture you've ever seen? And it's the only one we took of our food!

I was so hungry by this time, and I was eagerly eating my half of the large portion, just knowing it was not enough. At the same time, we were watching the news coverage on the TV monitors in this casual restaurant, hearing reports of record sized waves and strong rip currents at our very beach! The broadcast seemed vaguely familiar and like something we'd heard before...we didn't really think it was a big deal at all.

We finished our quick snack and headed out to the beach. We found a spot and began to soak in the sun and surf...just overall enjoying the day.

It was a fairly crowded day:
beach.jpg

Especially considering it was a weekday AND the tides were apparently very dangerous and unusual!

We sat and people and bird watched for a while:
birds.jpg

One of our favorite things at the beach is seeing all of the beach birds.

Who knew that would be the last picture our camera would take!

After we relaxed a while, we packed our camera up into its waterproof case and headed out to look for seashells. And then it happened!

This will be time two that we say, "Never turn your back on the ocean."

DP was facing toward the beach, with her back to the surf, about 20 feet onto dry sand, when an enormous and unexpected wave came and claimed her (temporarily anyway), totally engulfing her and dragging her well out into the water. Seeing it coming, I'd already started trying to race towards her and grab hold, but it was too late. Eventually, between her own ambitions and mine, we managed to get her safely back on dry sand, and then the process of trying to save our camera began. That waterproof bag was filled with salt water. We spent the next few hours driving our memory card all around OC looking for an active picture developing spot and finally purchasing a new camera since ours was shot. (And if you recall, it wasn't even our camera; we'd borrowed it for this trip because ours had broken just before we left.)

By afternoon, we knew that our first few days of precious memories were spared, and with a new camera in hand, we were finally ready to hit the parks!

Congratulations!

Great reviews thank you for taking the time to write them. Hoping you can write more, that wave sounds scary (i am not a good swimmer)

Too bad about the camera, but at least you were able to salvage some pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter