• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A way to cut down on impulse purchases: the "Stranger Test"

Praying Colonel

DIS Veteran
Saw this on Lifehacker.com and thought it was an interesting way to look at purchases:

When considering a purchase, picture a stranger offering you [the cash value of the purchase] or the item in question. Which is of greater value you? Which would you choose?

If a stranger were to come up and offer you $3 to not buy that cup of coffee you might reply "Thanks, but I'd really like this cup of coffee." But if your response over a bigger purchase like a new HDTV set or a computer would be "Hmmm $800 would be a pretty nice credit card payment..." it's probably best to put your funds to use fixing more immediate problems.

Though to be fair, I'd probably take the money on any item and then if I really needed it, I'd buy it later.

I don't think I'm good at this game! :rotfl:

Though to be fair, I'd probably take the money on any item and then if I really needed it, I'd buy it later.

I don't think I'm good at this game! :rotfl:

HA! I just "tested" my DD - asked her if she'd take $300 or the Juicy Couture purse she wants - and she said she'd take the $300 then go buy the purse! :lmao:

Interesting concept.. :)

I don't think it would work well with me though because I very, very rarely buy "wants" - my money is spent on "needs".. Last night I did spend money on "wants" though - used books on Amazon.com.. I spent around $45.. If someone offered me the cash instead, I would have turned them down.. I personally feel that books are sort of a combination of "wants"/"needs" - because while they have "entertainment" value, they also have "educational" value..:goodvibes

I like it and I'm going to try it. I'm guilty of occasionally shopping for "fun". Although I very rarely charge anything, I still blow $20. or $30. cash that I would have been better off saving. :sad2:

What has worked for me is to go to a store that I'm likely to impulse shop at but just look (it helps to leave my purse in the car :rolleyes1). If I really like something, I tell myself I'll come back tomorrow and buy it. Never fails, I don't want it so much later and I never go back.

When my daughter was younger (1 1/2 - 3 years old), I used to do a lot of my shopping with plastic (for a variety of reasons). Well, one thing I used to say to myself was "if you were using CASH instead of a credit card, would you buy it?". More often than not, the item went back on the shelf.

It's so easy to plunk down a piece of plastic and buy things just because it's easy and you can pay it off.

BEFORE ANYONE STARTS SCREAMING AT ME.... I no longer use the plastic. I have a few cards that I'm now paying off. I have even gotten in the habit of no longer using my debit card. My pay is direct deposited. I know what bills I'm paying each payday and leave $$ in the checking account for that, plus $20 leeway money. I then take out the remainder for groceries, gas, etc. When it's gone, it's gone, and it's much easier to SEE what you're spending rather than just swiping a card and punching in a PIN code.

I don't think this is a good way to look at it as most people will just spend it later as many have said.

I think a better way is to get real and do a Dave Ramsey type program.

When you see the interest you are paying (all of a sudden that $800 TV is a $1200 TV because of "stupid tax" as DR calls it) you realize you need to save up for it or forgo it completely for a while.

Thankfully we haven't had debt (other than mortgage) in over 2 years because of DR.

Dawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter