• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

A New Take on Fairytales

Disneyfreak616

DIS Veteran
Hello DISers! I just thought I'd share with you a composition that I had to write for English class. Basically, I had to chose a photograph that I took (this one was actually taken by my best friend, Disneyfreak508) and write about what it meant to me and what I would want others to see when they looked at it. I'll post the photo below and then the essay after that.

dsc0716r.jpg

Many people think of fairytales as whimsical, unrealistic portrayals of circumstances that could never exist. My photograph of Cinderella’s Castle at the Walt Disney World Resort’s Magic Kingdom Park proves this conceptualization of “once upon a time” and “dreams come true” to be quite false. The photograph is a close-up side shot of her Castle with a stained glass lantern causing an illusion. The lantern is actually pretty far away from the castle, but if shot from the right angle, it can seem very close. The reflection of the sun on the leftmost tower actually looks like it is caused by the golden glow coming from the lantern. This symbolizes yet another illusion. Illusions are a common theme is this photo. The castle itself represents an illusion, but a much bigger one. Cinderella’s Castle portrays a much more realistic and grand idea of fairytales in this photo than many people realize. It seems very imposing and empowering in this close-up shot. The castle puts off an aura of inaccessible, yet friendly beauty that simply takes the viewer’s breath away and transports them to a place that is much more exciting and captivating than reality. This is exactly what fairytales are intended to express; an idea that fairytales are not so distant from peoples’ lives, but that they simply are there to take one’s breath away and let them have a moment of “once upon a time” for themselves, where their dreams really do come true.

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! *tears up* *blows into tissue* But seriously, that was a lovely piece of writing. I wish I did this in my English class, LOVE writing abstract and creative writing. The factual abstracts and research papers are the bane of my existence, this is like a nice breath of fresh air to that.

I first got to say, I absolutely LOVE this picture. Jess has really taken some amazing shots of the Castle (yes, THE Castle, because next to this Castle, all others are just mediocre, moving on...) and knowing a lot about photography, the composition of this shot is absolutely stunning. I won't crazy rotting your brains out with technical terms and how things work because then I'd start writing a TR by doing that, but it just fits so well within aesthetically pleasing photography standards. And the way you analyzed it in such a similar way, getting deep into the details of the photograph, my mind was going "WHOA! That is deep!" I don't think I could ever think of it that way, but you really took this all to another level, while just kind of explaining in a nice way what Disney is all about. Then, of course, the writing mechanics are perfect within themselves. I think the harsh criticisms I mentioned on your TR are non-existent here. Fantastic job, Kristen! *bows down* Teach me your ways!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter