A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

Ever since I started writing trip reports, it’s affected the way I travel. I never used to take photos of meals before. It’s still not a huge priority to me, but it’s something I wouldn’t even have thought of until I started writing these things.

I know what you mean there, however, I was taking pictures of food long before I ever started writing trip reports. I find that now I take more "documenting" photos like entrance signs and stuff like that.

But every once in a while, I encounter that rare situation where the heavens align. The muse is fully present, and inspiration strikes like a bolt of lightning. The situation is so right that I only need to be present to observe it. If I listen closely, I can hear the trip report chapter practically writing itself.

Yes I know what you mean. Sometimes we luck out that way. Most of the the time I belabor over the words to try and piece together something mildly amusing.

The creation of that system allowed for such freedom and opportunity that any ordinary citizen, released from the shackles of government oppression, could pursue his or her dreams with a zeal heretofore unmatched in any society in the world. Americans heeded the call of opportunity, and excelled.

In theory.

Rumor has it we even created disco music on a dare.

I would cop to creating jazz before disco.

Those same visionaries who created a towering work of art in the Nebraska prairie saw to it that any pilgrims making the journey would not lack for the comforts of home along the way.

Well lookit there a loo with WiFi!

And there it was, simply laid out in front of us, basking in its own majesty. It needed no introduction. No fancy visitor center. This hallowed ground simply needed to be experienced.

As a classic car collector I was thinking. :sad2: All those could be parted out for $$$$.

This place is a museum of modern art.

Well you can not argue with that.

Indeed, if you asked Julie, she’d probably have said it felt like time itself was standing still. Later, we took advantage of the convenient restrooms in the gift shop. (Of course they have a gift shop.)

Of course they do!

“I’m glad they had a bathroom,” said Scott.

I think I would agree with Scott.

At this point, we could see lightning strikes in that direction, but we tried and failed to capture any of them on camera.

Great picture! Everyone is looking at the camera!

Pickings were slim as far as restaurant choices in Scottsbluff, but we found a place across the street called the Whiskey Creek Wood Fire Grill.

I think it looks like you did OK. Both yours and Julie's meals are filled with pork products!

ulie got a s’mores kit that included her own little grill to roast the marshmallows.

That looks awesome!

I got a giant bowl of peach cobbler. I do not regret this decision.

Not too shabby on that one either!

You kinda walked into that one.

Oh, I know!!

I wonder if they'll ever finish it. I have my doubts.

I suspect.... not in my lifetime.

Control of the remote is my very last stronghold in the house.

It's so cute that you think she lets you have control of the remote.

Well, stop pulling my finger!

Stop pointing at me!!!

Sounds like the voice of experience.

Naw. But I did return a van one time....
"Okay sir. Here's your van. Brand new! Only 35KM (22Miles) on it!"

10 days later....
"Here's your van back."
"Any problems?"
"Nope."
"Did you notice how many kilometers are on it?"
"Yep. About 7,000 (4,350Miles)"

Loved the look on her face. (Why yes. I get unlimited miles.)

I'll get to the update later. Busy, busy, busy.

Q7PZfPEgXmh7s7w60BkTwlrjI3cPMSJMuTA_p9ZbwmRN85WzslFctro5SLUwVRkmcmCBQyXYxONPlF-phoUfsEcjglbNIAMjBAq2ntZ_in38OW8UDmTu14ywSl0uqhi-bMEyM0zQxIhW_QVNPEqquG_iJlKm2OusVolu_C-Bz7tT9lRTSRJ5E9_PWlWEwqeThni-Saa-8H4P9V4Q6lYgINfizngZHSSi6NR_ovcZ4UHj0t2jNF_-MSfoZ95zeabBGQNWlndStAmvXl1WmUlKwWYVVPcv5VPsSY6odNBuW6l2NZDVwDaQki9TkRkFfg3AHQ0gTt2y-GIDWVvN2jt1pza4VCPbntOmBTxks_AwEmYaN7-zS5ldNN0-brBSNwWJxMkPNbSnaVxHYHqiYclAQ-K_vmmnl0xBuGVaORi39Fv4bPw-aUXeBF7X0Z7WzcdLy_81-m4uzPaUrO15iiOBtvCnswun_e3icfbBkoqQI89t3mPH44JD5cIBDtlQwtIcJtVa8Do9qV8lTgKSuMkR0kY6dAVlGxW6YNUxp-TpsQCdj9J26rNejFfc-VDFBkcVYdYN93_XQeF3gOxmnAtZ4fk95epcCsOquy62t04CpyF-bxdY6AMS=w1217-h812-no
Put your back into it! Lifting with the knees is for sissys!
It took me a moment to clear my throat, and find my voice, before I could ask the kids what they thought of this place.

“It really was something,” said Sarah.

Dave ignored us and played a game on his iPod.

Drew asked for a cookie.
And what, may I ask, was Mrs. Knowitall's impression?

Well it was several chapters but all caught up.

Very cool stuff. I saw a tour of one of those missile silos on "60 Minutes" (I think) a while ago. Looks like a great tour.

A Mighty Wind = A Mighty Wind

So cool that you got to visit Hilton Head! I apologize if you already talked about it in the banter (which I had to skip over in the sheer interest of trying to get current), but how did you like it? Was the water warm enough to go into the ocean.

I kind of fell far behind... Sorry for that! But at least I am still in time to wish you and your family a Happy New Year!!

Having been at the real Stonehenge (twice actually), I must say stones lend themselves more to being impressive than cars. However, the stone version is now so restricted in access that you had definitely far more fun at the cars version. At Stonehenge you are kept outside of the stones and can only look at them from quite a distance. Too much vandalism. I wonder how they deal with that at Carhenge... :rolleyes1 Looks like it would be at least equally popular as the stone version...

Whelp, holidays are over now, and I think that I actually may have a little bit of time back to myself again to behold he wonders of TRs like yours again. Well, actually, there's only one whose proudly displays national treasures like Carhenge. Not sure I could have gone on living without vicariously experiencing such a proud and unique piece of Americana.

You truly do the DISBoards proud.

I'm sorry, but you got one piece of the TR wrong though. You cannot, under any circumstances, put "good" (as opposed to great) in the same paragraph as describing a pulled pork sammie. It is simply not done. Especially when displayed proudly next to a small bowl of mac and cheese. Please refrain from this error in the future.

Ok, so the bluffs are actually pretty cool. Not Zion or Bryce cool, but picturesque nonetheless.

Nice chapter, Mark!

All caught up! Fun to see my old stomping grounds in the Black Hills. Custer State Park is some fun driving for sure!

Ha, I know how boring the drive across Nebraska is, but no idea there was an outstanding diversion there, in the form of Carhenge. :rotfl:

Hope you had a good time at Hilton Head. I skipped reading comments, so not sure if you said - are you writing about that trip?

OMG it is worth all that for the s'mores kit...I want that!

You'll have to fight Julie for it!

I know what you mean there, however, I was taking pictures of food long before I ever started writing trip reports. I find that now I take more "documenting" photos like entrance signs and stuff like that.

Yeah, I definitely do more of that as well. Although I think we would do the photos of the kids by the National Park signs anyway.

Yes I know what you mean. Sometimes we luck out that way. Most of the the time I belabor over the words to try and piece together something mildly amusing.

Inspiration can come from weird places. Mostly, like you said, it's a struggle to make it seem interesting!

In theory.

We may have our flaws, but it's still a great system.

I would cop to creating jazz before disco.

That's why I said it was on a dare.

Well lookit there a loo with WiFi!

Everything you could possibly want!

As a classic car collector I was thinking. :sad2: All those could be parted out for $$$$.

I imagine so! Looked like there were some very old models there.

Well you can not argue with that.

It does meet the Captain Oblivious Law of Art, which states: If I can reproduce it, it's not art. I definitely could not reproduce this.

Of course they do!

You aren't forced to exit there, though.

I think I would agree with Scott.

Seems like you aren't swept away by the beauty and Americana here. Are you saying I went slightly over the top in my description of the place?

Great picture! Everyone is looking at the camera!

Thanks! That's the first thing we pray for!

I think it looks like you did OK. Both yours and Julie's meals are filled with pork products!

You could definitely do worse. I've had better pulled pork, though.

That looks awesome!

::yes::

Not too shabby on that one either!

I suspect.... not in my lifetime.

I agree. Progress has been infinitesimal at best.

It's so cute that you think she lets you have control of the remote.

I will fight people for the remote.

Side note: my brother and his wife gave my daughter a Harry Potter wand that can act as a TV remote for Christmas. We haven't tried it out yet. But it's like they're trying to start a war.

Stop pointing at me!!!

Touche.

Naw. But I did return a van one time....
"Okay sir. Here's your van. Brand new! Only 35KM (22Miles) on it!"

10 days later....
"Here's your van back."
"Any problems?"
"Nope."
"Did you notice how many kilometers are on it?"
"Yep. About 7,000 (4,350Miles)"

Loved the look on her face. (Why yes. I get unlimited miles.)

I'll get to the update later. Busy, busy, busy.

:rotfl: I have had the exact same experience after a few of these road trips! We've been on the receiving end of a few comments from the rental agent checking us back in, like, "Wow, you guys really piled up the mileage." Makes us laugh every time.

Hey! Carhenge looks great to me! I would have totally stopped (and bought a postcard!!!).

Nebraska was a "border crossing" state where we did not spend the night or do anything of great interest. It was more of an unplanned, "We are this close to Nebraska, we should go to Nebraska ..." kind of thing. We ate at McDonald's and then tried to hunt down something to photograph to prove we were actually in Nebraska. We wound up with a picture of the kids in front of the city hall in downtown Blair, Nebraska. It's become something of a joke in our family, "Remember that trip to Blair, Nebraska?". I almost feel like we should head to Omaha and go to the zoo and eat a steak to "legitimize" our checking off of Nebraska on our states visited map, but then I think ... nope.

Put your back into it! Lifting with the knees is for sissys!

I'll have to try that next time I have to shovel snow.

And what, may I ask, was Mrs. Knowitall's impression?

Like the others, she was grateful for the chance to get out of the car and stretch her legs. As far as the artistic value, I'm not sure she was bowled over.

Well it was several chapters but all caught up.

Hey, thanks for checking back in, Glenn!

Very cool stuff. I saw a tour of one of those missile silos on "60 Minutes" (I think) a while ago. Looks like a great tour.

I bet 60 Minutes went into detail about how to break in and set off the warhead, right?

A Mighty Wind = A Mighty Wind

+1:thumbsup2

So cool that you got to visit Hilton Head! I apologize if you already talked about it in the banter (which I had to skip over in the sheer interest of trying to get current), but how did you like it? Was the water warm enough to go into the ocean.

We really loved it! The water wasn't quite warm enough for ocean swimming, but the kids did manage to get into the pool. I still have to upload photos but I'm hoping to do a little mini-TR of it. It was a great place for a long weekend getaway.

I kind of fell far behind... Sorry for that! But at least I am still in time to wish you and your family a Happy New Year!!

Happy New Year to you! I hope the previous chapters weren't too boring for you! :)

Having been at the real Stonehenge (twice actually), I must say stones lend themselves more to being impressive than cars. However, the stone version is now so restricted in access that you had definitely far more fun at the cars version. At Stonehenge you are kept outside of the stones and can only look at them from quite a distance. Too much vandalism. I wonder how they deal with that at Carhenge... :rolleyes1 Looks like it would be at least equally popular as the stone version...

That's a shame that they had to close it off. From what I could tell, vandalism is handled at Carhenge by a fresh can of gray spray paint. Maybe that would help at Stonehenge! :rotfl2:

Whelp, holidays are over now, and I think that I actually may have a little bit of time back to myself again to behold he wonders of TRs like yours again. Well, actually, there's only one whose proudly displays national treasures like Carhenge. Not sure I could have gone on living without vicariously experiencing such a proud and unique piece of Americana.

Well, when I commit to a gag, I go all-in. And you know I love to go way over the top. I just couldn't resist with this site.

You truly do the DISBoards proud.

Wait, now you're going over the top! :rotfl2:

I'm sorry, but you got one piece of the TR wrong though. You cannot, under any circumstances, put "good" (as opposed to great) in the same paragraph as describing a pulled pork sammie. It is simply not done. Especially when displayed proudly next to a small bowl of mac and cheese. Please refrain from this error in the future.

Well, it wasn't the best pulled pork sammie ever. It was fine, but I've had better. Probably needed more bacon.

Ok, so the bluffs are actually pretty cool. Not Zion or Bryce cool, but picturesque nonetheless.

They definitely pale in comparison to anything in Utah. But the historical significance of the Oregon Trail lends some weight.

All caught up! Fun to see my old stomping grounds in the Black Hills. Custer State Park is some fun driving for sure!

That was a great area to visit! I loved driving through there.

Ha, I know how boring the drive across Nebraska is, but no idea there was an outstanding diversion there, in the form of Carhenge. :rotfl:

Well, now you can hurry back!:rolleyes:

We haven't even gotten to the long drive across Nebraska yet...

Hope you had a good time at Hilton Head. I skipped reading comments, so not sure if you said - are you writing about that trip?

I'd like to! I don't have photos uploaded yet, but I would like to at least give a mini-TR on that one.

Hey! Carhenge looks great to me! I would have totally stopped (and bought a postcard!!!).

I think it's worthy of a 10-minute stop, for sure!

Nebraska was a "border crossing" state where we did not spend the night or do anything of great interest. It was more of an unplanned, "We are this close to Nebraska, we should go to Nebraska ..." kind of thing. We ate at McDonald's and then tried to hunt down something to photograph to prove we were actually in Nebraska. We wound up with a picture of the kids in front of the city hall in downtown Blair, Nebraska. It's become something of a joke in our family, "Remember that trip to Blair, Nebraska?". I almost feel like we should head to Omaha and go to the zoo and eat a steak to "legitimize" our checking off of Nebraska on our states visited map, but then I think ... nope.

I totally think your visit was legitimate. Our rule for a state to "count" is that you must set foot on the ground in the state (i.e., no airport terminals on layovers). But can you say you were in Nebraska? Of course? No one can deny that!

That being said, we did like what we saw of Omaha.

I definitely would've stopped at Carhenge if I had been nearby! I'm fairly certain it didn't exist when I was there, however - roughly 35 years ago. That definitely ranks up there in the pantheon of cheesy roadside attractions, imho.

Ever since I started writing trip reports, it’s affected the way I travel. I never used to take photos of meals before. It’s still not a huge priority to me, but it’s something I wouldn’t even have thought of until I started writing these things. There are many times when we’re visiting a certain place that I’ll notice something quirky or funny and think, “Oh, this will get some laughs when I write about it,” or something along those lines. Conversely, sometimes I’ll encounter a situation where I’ll how wonder how I could ever make it interesting to another reader.

Oh, man. I can so relate to this.
Wait until you start doing things you'd never dream of doing... just for your TR.
I heard some idiot stood in line for two and a half hours just for a photo with some characters because he thought his readers would get a kick out of it.

Do not be that guy.

*--Apologies in advance to my Canadian and German readers.

No worries. I'm at work so can't see the video anyway.

Do you enjoy the convenience of microwaveable instant meals? Thank Mssrs. Stouffer and Swanson, Americans, probably.

:laughing: God love 'em!

invented basketball

You're welcome. Aren't you happy a Canadian invented that for you?

Rumor has it we even created disco music on a dare.

Good! Now I know who to blame!!

They say never to fight a war on two fronts, but in World War II, we did just that, and won! (Fine, with the help of several other nations, if you want to be picky.)

You're welcome.

The guy who invented the air-cannon that shoots hot dogs and t-shirts into the crowd at sports events.

Now that man is what greatness is all about.

Brings a tear to my eye.

Simply stunning. I hear Druids from Detroit may be responsible.

The kids were overcome with joy, either at finally being able to see this place with their own eyes or at being able to get out of the van for a few minutes.

I'm positive it was joy at seeing that glorious sight.

Positive.

Whoa! Do not tick her off!

Oh, come on man. It's obvious you're not doing your fair share of the lifting.

:lmao: That one's the best of the bunch.

This place is a museum of modern art. Walking paths lead you around the various pieces by heretofore-undiscovered artistic geniuses.

Huh. I'd heard of Carhenge... but didn't know there was more.

I'll be darned. I looked at it and was like :confused3
But when I read the title.... I totally saw it!

Huh.

Later, we took advantage of the convenient restrooms in the gift shop. (Of course they have a gift shop.)

What did they have for sale in the gift shop?

“It really was something,” said Sarah.

Dave ignored us and played a game on his iPod.

Drew asked for a cookie.

And that, my friends, is why we travel.

Man! Talk about inspiring!!!

Scotts Bluff was a major landmark on the Oregon Trail. After traveling hundreds of seemingly endless miles across the flat Great Plains, travelers would be relieved to see the bluff standing high, signifying that they were finally just about done with Nebraska.

Oh, man. You got me with that one.
I was reading along.. "uh huh. okay. yup. interesting.... wha????"

What are you doing taking pictures? RUN!!

I was in the mood for barbecue, so I got a pulled pork sammich.

Looks good. Too bad it only got an okay.

Julie wasn’t overly hungry so she opted for a tiny little soup-and-salad combo.

That looks like a lot of food for not hungry.

Dessert was better. Julie got a s’mores kit that included her own little grill to roast the marshmallows.

That's cool! Not a huge s'mores fan, but.... cool!

I got a giant bowl of peach cobbler. I do not regret this decision.

Now this. This I want!

I think I can speak for all of us when I say we’ll never see anything quite like Carhenge again. Hey, why is everybody cheering?

We're all applauding your wonderful chapter!

Side note: my brother and his wife gave my daughter a Harry Potter wand that can act as a TV remote for Christmas. We haven't tried it out yet. But it's like they're trying to start a war.

Wow. Are you ever going to have fun with that!

"He's at the 40! The 30! The 20! He's going to go all... <click> "Today on The View...."

:rotfl: I have had the exact same experience after a few of these road trips! We've been on the receiving end of a few comments from the rental agent checking us back in, like, "Wow, you guys really piled up the mileage." Makes us laugh every time.

There's a certain sense of... larceny when you do that though, no?

Our journey took us south, into the state of Nebraska.

_0v8XtUSIZuaYHP3AC8f-XZ01Bc73UsZc5kihkhRtIx1whQKaE6Q8aAdIW24QZWOJdvcFkCohs4Hk_W-m6LPB0tm3NslzoCzDSD4KnFagE2mLucgwsAFGwLevRuUVWU4V3ISOd_Ou-rOlIHkTJZz2-EDV_dlh_7_J1PL6I6R_D5ERcgmUfQ7U21fPS0uRVm9fsaSBD-AF_WFLcfkiuinTp5kmUL-69nYZTkXU_GA4VhGF4-79beoR6sNB9Wqi8MYHkdCDHIfpeMj6djwjTOFk0SpqmULEU8MuPvQccEuE-qfQiU_zSRf16y63POcKcLf-zWmHPFPbuaLsBaAg19Xq4aR3MoSp7J1t7tnTmdVVXyCV5f0mhCDg7Cu8ZK8pG1Zvy4hVBa9Yq7v_HpGQCaflv7N_5A2hG2f9JK6J2w8px8DGR4ptFFfPyioAL-YqJeWvmFmoZnPFLchsMPpT07QVLvOqloIuUSud8eZzoIFLAf2KRqp3793Ls_--IGJGWBCD9PvXbU9VoftFaGsGOHH1hRef_mnKR-r2RZTpZZVSUvkDH-T8lMu3X2fOoK3Q-lnD4ukoEf3AkSDZ3cE_OgOTIVEKHlUOFFa2YzfAYjI3P51gZk6nmgl=w1217-h812-no
Oh, is that where the good life is? Silly me, looking in the wrong places all this time….

Or maybe it was the chance to let off some steam by pretending to Hulk out.
My bet’s on this one. It does make for cool Hulk out pictures.

Such as this thing:

EqKFPjokBP0RY-ju-XH_f2dR2UrpDLyP85Anl5fNhVyOdzo0-YbMZ5C4F8WWRGwMYbN381J4IejjqRRfW5-nJcHKMi9onLmcjPmDt87L__sPB_dq296yIa8Eg1xegBRtxpJ6jblhXeaDYv5ZrOBeVMBne8WOCx8H9hpTtSfy9WxpJPdWP6vg7NcKvBlM1R96ZHhUfCY3Yg8FE4hbnS08piTe6uBr0YXpDl8_QjCxyoP-uduEIH2Wh3wakFBbbG47Mbb-pVOrhPMWKj1UPkgHB6f6idbiHDE2hKZk5UpZuk59S0fdV1L9A6hvzLxwRhtYRmMQReWBylghJvXOb3A31I-G1iWhUWOT5kklwu-rHArbSYiEnzew0m6YxjWOidmgxCuorqzn-qCmDEHuRJULohItBwBFUXl3jCdizsGDeOevX4_chFhsD0PUt8ryTvZJy2sbkyceqBeBn_suf7sOof5vJgZtgVlxwl3jIX1_KXdPxgvEMwvGPZaF1BvCJGeTXrIsQsI_TgB6cNdDXhavrgbbcUvVGZI8CKSIJ6EEWtIgnXrabwsgk9ldYTSTTIkpSSdThf178JkCilXA8SkSk42K8NgflA7vfXKgcMvbd3cEsviLSXwL=w1217-h812-no
If you look closely, you can see that thing was made in Canada. I have two thoughts. One, that someone actually spent money to ship it down. And two, I just imagine the puzzled faces of the cars around the truck driving it down, trying to figure out what the heck it is.

Scotts Bluff was a major landmark on the Oregon Trail. After traveling hundreds of seemingly endless miles across the flat Great Plains, travelers would be relieved to see the bluff standing high, signifying that they were finally just about done with Nebraska.
Perhaps not overly exciting, but it is nice. Reminds me of Cars.

Dessert was better. Julie got a s’mores kit that included her own little grill to roast the marshmallows.
My girls would go nuts for this. I can envision more than one flaming marshmallow coming out of that if they ever got their hands on it.

I definitely would've stopped at Carhenge if I had been nearby! I'm fairly certain it didn't exist when I was there, however - roughly 35 years ago. That definitely ranks up there in the pantheon of cheesy roadside attractions, imho.

It's one of the cheesiest! I felt like it was totally worth the stop, because a) we were cooped up in the car for 4 hours, and b) where else can you see something like that?

Oh, man. I can so relate to this.
Wait until you start doing things you'd never dream of doing... just for your TR.
I heard some idiot stood in line for two and a half hours just for a photo with some characters because he thought his readers would get a kick out of it.

Do not be that guy.

Oh man, that's crazy! You'd have to be a moron to do something like that.

No worries. I'm at work so can't see the video anyway.

It was the Battle Hymn of the Republic. I needed theme music as I went over the top in that chapter. All that was missing was General Patton in front of a giant flag.

:laughing: God love 'em!

Microwaved mac-and-cheese for everybody!

You're welcome. Aren't you happy a Canadian invented that for you?

You and your unwanted factual information!

Good! Now I know who to blame!!

Yes! Wait...

You're welcome.

See? Picky.

Now that man is what greatness is all about.

Brings a tear to my eye.

Because you can't un-see that? I get it.

Simply stunning. I hear Druids from Detroit may be responsible.

Ah, yes. The Detroit Druids. I think they're a Red Wings farm team.

I'm positive it was joy at seeing that glorious sight.

Positive.

That must be it. Sometimes you're just so overwhelmed that your words fail to catch up with the emotion you're feeling. I'm sure that's what my kids were experiencing.

Whoa! Do not tick her off!

Oh, come on man. It's obvious you're not doing your fair share of the lifting.

That's been obvious for...oh, about 18 years.

:lmao: That one's the best of the bunch.

There's another one coming up from Kansas City I think you'll like, then.

Huh. I'd heard of Carhenge... but didn't know there was more.

Carhenge! So much more than a crappy tourist trap!

I'll be darned. I looked at it and was like :confused3
But when I read the title.... I totally saw it!

Huh.

I have to admit it. The Captain Oblivous Law of Art states: if I can re-produce it, it's not art. I could not reproduce these works.

What did they have for sale in the gift shop?

A few t-shirts, hats, postcards, shot glasses, magnets. The usual trinkets. Not sure why Sarah didn't want a postcard for her wall in her bedroom.

Man! Talk about inspiring!!!

It just makes you want to run out and book a trip to Nebraska, doesn't it?

Hello?

Hello?

Is this thing on?

Oh, man. You got me with that one.
I was reading along.. "uh huh. okay. yup. interesting.... wha????"

Just trying to put myself in the shoes of the pioneers on the Oregon Trail. "Oh, thank God! Something besides flat land!"

What are you doing taking pictures? RUN!!

:eek:

We didn't linger up there.

Looks good. Too bad it only got an okay.

Not quite as tender as pulled pork ought to be. But they can't all be home runs.

That looks like a lot of food for not hungry.

Yeah, she was kind of stunned. I think that was a half-salad!:eek:

That's cool! Not a huge s'mores fan, but.... cool!

Anything with fire is cool!

Now this. This I want!

::yes:: Give me the pastry every time. Especially if it has peaches.

We're all applauding your wonderful chapter!

Oh, good! I was worried it might be slightly heavy-handed.

Wow. Are you ever going to have fun with that!

"He's at the 40! The 30! The 20! He's going to go all... <click> "Today on The View...."

:sad2: A fate worse than death.

Thankfully, Julie and Sarah like football. I do not deserve these women.

There's a certain sense of... larceny when you do that though, no?

Yes! Like you're getting away with something. I keep waiting for the guy to come back and say, "Well, we've had to institute a fee if your mileage exceeds 3,000..."

Oh, is that where the good life is? Silly me, looking in the wrong places all this time….

Makes you feel pretty silly heading all the way to Thailand for all of these years, am I right?

My bet’s on this one. It does make for cool Hulk out pictures.

I can't deny that.

If you look closely, you can see that thing was made in Canada. I have two thoughts. One, that someone actually spent money to ship it down. And two, I just imagine the puzzled faces of the cars around the truck driving it down, trying to figure out what the heck it is.

Aren't you proud? Canada did not back down when it came to contributing to this cultural experience.

Love your comment about driving it down there. Had to be a lot of *** moments along the highway, for sure!

Perhaps not overly exciting, but it is nice. Reminds me of Cars.

It had historic significance more than anything.

My girls would go nuts for this. I can envision more than one flaming marshmallow coming out of that if they ever got their hands on it.

Ooh, a flaming marshmallow food fight! This sounds like fun!

Oh man, that's crazy! You'd have to be a moron to do something like that.

100% agree.

It was the Battle Hymn of the Republic. I needed theme music as I went over the top in that chapter. All that was missing was General Patton in front of a giant flag.

patton_speech_in_front_of_giant_flag_george_c_scott.png

You're welcome.

You and your unwanted factual information!

Just keepin' it real man.

Because you can't un-see that? I get it.

No. I poked myself in the eyes.

Happens.

Ah, yes. The Detroit Druids. I think they're a Red Wings farm team.

::yes:: I've seen them play.

That must be it. Sometimes you're just so overwhelmed that your words fail to catch up with the emotion you're feeling. I'm sure that's what my kids were experiencing.

That's been obvious for...oh, about 18 years.

Uh, huh.... I'm betting..... longer.

There's another one coming up from Kansas City I think you'll like, then.

Looking forward to it! :)

Carhenge! So much more than a crappy tourist trap!

Oh, man. I hate typos. Anyway, you accidentally spelled "less" wrong.

I have to admit it. The Captain Oblivous Law of Art states: if I can re-produce it, it's not art. I could not reproduce these works.

On a serious note, I had a conversation with a cousin of mine who was researching Inuit art. I made a comment that I didn't like a lot of it and her response was that "I didn't understand it"
Uh.... no. I either like what I see or don't. I don't care what someone else says about it.

A few t-shirts, hats, postcards, shot glasses, magnets. The usual trinkets. Not sure why Sarah didn't want a postcard for her wall in her bedroom.

No postcard?!?!?

It just makes you want to run out and book a trip to Nebraska, doesn't it?

Hello?

Hello?

Is this thing on?

Sorry, what? I was picking at my fingernails.

Just trying to put myself in the shoes of the pioneers on the Oregon Trail. "Oh, thank God! Something besides flat land!"

Actually... wouldn't it be the opposite?
"Martha? This going west is a breeze! Nothing but flat, easy land..... oh, crap..."
"David! Don't cuss so in front of the children!"

Not quite as tender as pulled pork ought to be. But they can't all be home runs.

But they should be...

Yeah, she was kind of stunned. I think that was a half-salad!:eek:

Half!?!?! What's a whole salad? "Here ya go, this should keep you happy until.... 2018."

Anything with fire is cool!

::yes:: Man cook with fire. <grunt>

Oh, good! I was worried it might be slightly heavy-handed.

I wouldn't know. I just skipped that part.

:sad2: A fate worse than death.

Thankfully, Julie and Sarah like football. I do not deserve these women.

Lucky!

Yes! Like you're getting away with something. I keep waiting for the guy to come back and say, "Well, we've had to institute a fee if your mileage exceeds 3,000..."

patton_speech_in_front_of_giant_flag_george_c_scott.png

You're welcome.

Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks for picking up my slack.

::yes:: I've seen them play.

Probably against the Charlestown Chiefs.

Uh, huh.... I'm betting..... longer.

Shhh! Don't blow my cover!

Oh, man. I hate typos. Anyway, you accidentally spelled "less" wrong.

Must have been a careless mistake.

On a serious note, I had a conversation with a cousin of mine who was researching Inuit art. I made a comment that I didn't like a lot of it and her response was that "I didn't understand it"
Uh.... no. I either like what I see or don't. I don't care what someone else says about it.

I agree. It's completely subjective by nature. My "Law of Art" is only half-joking. It actually works pretty well. I once went into a museum and saw a "painting" displayed that was a vertical blue stripe on a white canvas. Sorry, but I can do that. My kid could do that. Therefore, it is not art.

No postcard?!?!?

What is this world coming to?

She couldn't find any that fit her "theme". She likes the vintage "look":

PDCBNlpp2oa0Wy0h-6OGNLYOtgLSFdFg8F0gIuUE28-8aQMA9qpGY4YODVDhV35UrCcqq7-ghnZ_tYhWVSYyGCE5b-630N3M0GqjtZV4v6vUc2dsNo562erFkNZFC5fFz4AsXS2DSZjFKjJ-CIPRt-h5fxFVJRiNYiYpGHTAvEwx5BiFZn4DE4VqfC3UYAnBgwqmHCLTzI_4nAZP3phJWM82Vbkc7gTKbQolhaFXcmPA7KHRk893bQuwuWSuIkumH21sZ7PbjsRxBNyjd4v6WI7JR54HcrfdhGbQ-0sWZcMERkDMmIWUjIB4DvA4fwFoEZ-gyHQ6AgrSVTHUK0Vd78-RR5lEf4HH-cFa6MBZesgN60YTG30qkUXh4-mr3WvZ5JEYkpHi8F5NK3YamWTZa9ppF3JNAgZzxqdfWhccxWlRf1GIVgR6y-3fKenTBByR_T5h5iCcORfujlevaYtZ5-i0J0wA7qB4Bsjbs82pEP68a0mCVzsIs929ycyKD6k7QVBs1D4qQjXbLuiAI36rvl771gtdpeeQgQAtzNKP7tRA18J7-QiFeWhpNoDjVEGDREsrawCO4L36t2RmNVAlL0XxhVStd2sPr8xbUVqBnNadP16m04Ds=w627-h835-no

Sorry, what? I was picking at my fingernails.

It's ok. I wasn't paying attention, either.

Actually... wouldn't it be the opposite?
"Martha? This going west is a breeze! Nothing but flat, easy land..... oh, crap..."
"David! Don't cuss so in front of the children!"

Good point! :rotfl2:

I think the trip was such a long trek, with so much suffering, that any landmark showing progress was welcomed.

Half!?!?! What's a whole salad? "Here ya go, this should keep you happy until.... 2018."

I don't even want to know! She was probably the first person to order a salad there in 3 weeks, and they didn't want the rest of the lettuce to spoil.

::yes:: Man cook with fire. <grunt>

And if it involves a rusty, leaky propane tank? Even better.:thumbsup2

I wouldn't know. I just skipped that part.

Probably a wise move.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter