A Golden-Grand-Slam-Outta-the-Park Alaskan Cruise! COMPLETE 7/18!!!!!!

She is busy with my cruise out of NYC to Canada-I am a total newbie and I don't know anything about cruising with DLC:crazy2:. But I hope she comes back soon too.

YAY! So excited to hear you are going to cruise!!!!

I just read your TR from start to finish. What an amazing trip! An Alaska cruise on DCL has been on our bucket list. This makes me want to book sooner rather than later! I hope you come back to finish it!

First dispost for me.
Thank you for the wonderful trip report. DD, DGS13, DGS7 (8 on cruise) and I are WONDERing to Alaska 8/31. We have Rum Runners booked, too! Your TR was hilarious and informative....thank you.

Well, that was SOME break I took! As usual, too busy to write- May until now have been kind of nuts! But you deserve the rest of the story, and it will help me get excited about this year's cruise, 3 weeks from tomorrow onboard the Fantasy again, this time, a Western. I will miss this Alaskan scenery, though....

THAR SHE BLOWS!!!!!

So, right at almost the same time, there were 2 things going on that we wanted to do. One was a mixology class- the other was the Ventriloquist who was doing a Family show in WaveBands. Well, based on what we knew from the prior drinking lesson, that class would be a good 30 minutes in before any drinking was actually being done. The ventriloquist we knew was not to be missed, and she started 15 minutes pre-class, so into Wave Bands we went. See, we CAN do 2 things at once! Look at us!!

I have to say, the family show was every bit as entertaining and hilarious as the adult show had been- that woman had us all in stitches! I HIGHLY recommend her act if you have the chance to catch it in any form.

We headed over to the Cadillac Lounge....

Where, as expected, ice was melting in pre-poured drinks for the last half an hour....

It was STILL a beautiful day outside, and we even caught a whale or two passing by...

Pods was really interested in how to make these drinks....

LOL- we take this class every cruise, and I have to say, it is much, much more entertaining when you make the drinks in groups and pass them out a la minute!

Pods was a good little sailor and posed in the porthole for me-

We caught this extravaganza as we walked through the ship-

It was pretty empty in the Promenade Lounge...

But who wants to be inside, when you can be outside and enjoying this?

cont'd next post....

I'm back- I bet you read that "cont'd next post" and thought yea, right- we've heard that before!! But here I am!

We thought it would be nice to visit Deck 7 and the secret aft deck, where I took some pretty awful panoramic pics with my iPhone (clearly this is NOT something I am good at!!)

I do love the wake of the ship- I am looking forward to 2 Aft verandahs in 2016- one on the Dream with my work pal
roomie, Katie, and one on Celebrity Solstice in September for a 9 night anniversary cruise around the Med.

Moving up....

We had a little snack

And then headed on...

I enjoyed a glass of Prosecco

and we relaxed and watched the beautiful world go by...

It is just ridiculous, right? OMG, I want to go back sooooo badly.....

Check out this little town!

I looked up this Orca Inn, trying to figure out where we were, but nothing comes up - unless we were now in Washington- but I am pretty sure that was impossible....

Well, it was time to go back to the Cabin and get ready for our dinner...and pack up the suitcases. Here is our lame door-

Featuring the last remaining magnets that made it a whole week on our cruise! There is a LOT of paint on those doors, and my magnets were no match! I have since moved on to using business card magnets on the back- they worked beautifully on the Magic in May...

Up next- our last dinner with Italy and France!

I want to go back!!!! Alaska was an amazing cruise. I will have to get the big magnets next time - mine kept falling off also. Have a great time on the Fantasy in a few weeks!

That last dinner comes around waaaay too quickly! 7 nights is NOT ENOUGH!!! I need a Transatlantic/ Panama Canal BTB with a double Round trip Hawaiian from Vancouver! YES!! That would work! But, until I hit the lottery it looks like I will have to stick with 7 nights on DCL. The boys did not look happy about our imminent disembarkation EITHER

Emilie brought over our last bottle of Sofia....

Then it was on to the food! There was a Grilled potato and Goat Cheese Napolean with a balsamic basil vinaigrette-

I think saying it was good was an understatement!

Trio of Salmon-

Dungeness Crabmeat Stuffed Tomato-

Potato and Leek Soup

And then all four of us ordered the SAME THING- because it is really one of the BEST! Seafood Linguini Pasta

Lobster, scallops, shrimp, clams and asparagus in a white wine sauce

There are many other things to tempt on that menu the last night, but I can never seem to order anything but this- and it never disappoints. Neither do they-

I have some vids to put in here, and they are taking a while to be approved by
photo bucket- I will be back when I can post them!

so exciting! I am leaving in 2 weeks for Alaska....not DCL but still your pictures have me excited for all the views and scenery!!!

:wave: Glad to see you back, I love all the beautiful pics! That last dinner looked yummy!! I'm not a fan of clams but the rest looked good.

You have some nice trips planned. Have you ever cruised on Celebrity?? I loved my 5 cruises with them, although the ships I sailed on don't exist anymore, I would love to try one of their newer ships.

Can't wait for more!

Great update, Ellen! The scenery is beautiful, but the last day on board is always a sad one.

Let me know if I can offer you some "hints" for your Med cruise. We had some awesome tours booked last year - private ones, that is.

She is busy with my cruise out of NYC to Canada-I am a total newbie and I don't know anything about cruising with DLC:crazy2:. But I hope she comes back soon too.

I really wish I was going on that cruise!! It is making me crazy I am not going on the Magic when it is in NYC again!!! And on top of that, I am VERY MUCH wanted to do a Canada cruise- I think it will be beautiful!

YAY! So excited to hear you are going to cruise!!!!

I know! I am so happy for her, too! :)

I just read your TR from start to finish. What an amazing trip! An Alaska cruise on DCL has been on our bucket list. This makes me want to book sooner rather than later! I hope you come back to finish it!

Thank you!! I highly recommend it- it was the most wonderful experience!!

Best trip report ever!

WOW Thanks!! So much fun to write about- just feel so bad it took me a year to complete!

First dispost for me.
Thank you for the wonderful trip report. DD, DGS13, DGS7 (8 on cruise) and I are WONDERing to Alaska 8/31. We have Rum Runners booked, too! Your TR was hilarious and informative....thank you.

I am honored!! PLEASE tell Captain Chris and his awesome companion (whose name is escaping me at the moment) I say hello- my name is Ellen. They will know- I have sent several people to them. :) I hope you have a fantastic time!

I want to go back!!!! Alaska was an amazing cruise. I will have to get the big magnets next time - mine kept falling off also. Have a great time on the Fantasy in a few weeks!

I LOVED seeing your pics everyday on FB- you had incredible weather! Thanks for the well wishes on the Fantasy- but we are going to miss doing everything with you guys (and the Chris and Bobby)! Roni will be onboard, though, and I am really looking forward to hanging with her, she is so nice. But will miss Steve in your bra for sure, lol!

so exciting! I am leaving in 2 weeks for Alaska....not DCL but still your pictures have me excited for all the views and scenery!!!

Bring TONS of cards for that camera of yours- you are going to be in photography heaven! I am very much looking forward to all of your pics, you are such a fantastic photographer, Jen!

Orca Inn was in Alert Bay, BC Canada

THANK-YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, this made my day- I hate not knowing where I am and what I am actually seeing. I googled it and saw where it was on a map- I did not even know that was an island. So seriously- THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

:wave: Glad to see you back, I love all the beautiful pics! That last dinner looked yummy!! I'm not a fan of clams but the rest looked good.

You have some nice trips planned. Have you ever cruised on Celebrity?? I loved my 5 cruises with them, although the ships I sailed on don't exist anymore, I would love to try one of their newer ships.

Can't wait for more!

I love that dinner- it really is very good- they actually made it for me on the Magic in May one night- it was not on the menu. They are so, so good on DCL.

Yes, we have been on Celebrity- once, a very long time ago, on the Zenith (now sails with Pullmantur). It was actually my second cruise and Pods' first! I think it is a great cruise line for our demographic- the only thing that worries me is the entertainment. We really, REALLY love the entertainment on DCL, and I sincerely hope we are not too let down on Celebrity. We will be on the Summit in November with 2 other couples, and then on Silhouette in the Med. Both cruises will be visiting new ports (for us) so it is very exciting!

Great update, Ellen! The scenery is beautiful, but the last day on board is always a sad one.

Very true!!

Let me know if I can offer you some "hints" for your Med cruise. We had some awesome tours booked last year - private ones, that is.

Definitely! I do have a company I work with in Italy already- I send clients on private tours with them, and they will take good care of us for our Italian ports of call, I think. Can't decide what we want to do, though- especially in Naples! I am so torn between touring the Amalfi Coast, visiting Sorrento, Visiting Capri, or touring Pompeii or Herculaneum!! One day is not enough. In Marseilles my big plan is to hit one of the Michelin starred establishments for some authentic Boulliabase (I make this myself, and I kind of want to see how I am doing, lol!). Definitely will do the Cinque Terre- I know you have a great tour guide you used there. Our ports are Rome (we begin and end here- and I have been twice, but I already know we will be going to the Vatican because we got the shaft on our last visit there), Naples, Messina (Sicily), Marseilles, Nice (Villefranche), Ajaccio (Corsica), and La Spezia. WOOHOO!!! Also planning to book some flights with long layovers, so we can do a little additional touring then (hoping for Brussels and/or Munich or Copenhagen I think) and then may go up to Milan post cruise and take the train up to Switzerland and fly home from there- I have heard that train trip is magical, like you are in a storybook. I have a while to plan it all, though! LOL!! I just looked, it is 425 days away!

Yes, we have been on Celebrity- once, a very long time ago, on the Zenith (now sails with Pullmantur). It was actually my second cruise and Pods' first! I think it is a great cruise line for our demographic- the only thing that worries me is the entertainment. We really, REALLY love the entertainment on DCL, and I sincerely hope we are not too let down on Celebrity. We will be on the Summit in November with 2 other couples, and then on Silhouette in the Med. Both cruises will be visiting new ports (for us) so it is very exciting!

I LOVED the Zenith!! :love: I sailed on her 3 x to Bermuda. That Summit cruise looks great! We have been looking at that itinerary for a while now, it is a strong possibility for our next cruise if it is still an option at that time.

I LOVED the Zenith!! :love: I sailed on her 3 x to Bermuda. That Summit cruise looks great! We have been looking at that itinerary for a while now, it is a strong possibility for our next cruise if it is still an option at that time.
We are all really excited about that cruise- we are on the November 14th sailing- it goes out of San Juan, and stops in Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Martin and St Thomas. SO COOL!!!!! And so funny you were on the Zenith, too!! :)

Oh, Munich is only one hour away from me! Please get in touch if you end up going there! I would love to help with any planning and we might even be able to meet up!

Well, I tried- 5x to be exact- to upload the videos to PB and it just keeps telling me they are being processed. Sorry- no idea what the problem is! But...on without them-

So, I become very attached to servers on cruises, I have a little issue. LOL. I mean, they are always so nice, and they work so hard to make us happy, and I really get very sad when it is time to go. These two were very special, they were just so adorable. They are both FB friends now, and I love that I can still talk to them! The little Frenchie has left DCL, she decided to go live in Australia for a bit instead of doing another contract. And Luisa from Italy is still there- a friend of mine saw her recently onboard. :) Hope I sail the Wonder again sometime soon, I would love to see her. ANYWAY.... they did the last night thing with the flags, and they ran around Triton's and came back, high fives and kisses all around. I wish I could get the videos up! So cute!!

We had a special dessert...

And I took a last pic with my girls...

And...that was it! We went back to the cabin, and watched the stars in the sky off of our balcony....we saw THREE shooting stars, it was just truly spectacular!

In the morning, we woke up to this view....

Con't next post

So, as I was saying, we woke up to this-

It was hard to believe we were already back to Vancouver!! We showered and collected all of our things, then headed down for that HORRIBLE breakfast in Triton's...

Well, it did actually taste fine, but, you know what I mean. This is just a completely ruined meal.

Miss Luisa was also getting off the ship today. She was going home for 2 months, and she had a LOT to do once our breakfast was over.

One last pic of the little one- I mean SERIOUSLY little one!

And then...it was time to go! :( We got off the ship, and were through customs in no time.

We had a good amount of time to kill before heading home, and fortunately there is a GREAT service for luggage at this port. It is called Priority Baggage, and for a fee they will store your luggage at the cruise terminal- for slightly more, they will transport it for you to the airport (where you will need to claim it before checking in for your flight). It not only solves the issue of what to do with all those bags, but it also allows you to grab a regular little cab at Canada Place to the airport (or from wherever) at the end of your visit because you don't need to worry about a bigger car that can hold your luggage. Here is a link to them- http://www.prioritybaggage.ca

Since we had not been to Gastown pre-cruise, we decided to go visit there now....

The famous Steam clock

There is a LOT to eat in this city!

Gastown has a lot of shopping as well. Not that we did any. Boys being boys and all.

We had 2 free passes (from that Tourism card I still had) to Fly Over Canada, so we decided to check that out. It is very much like Soarin, but with a Canadian theme. (I know, surprising, right?)

It is located in Canada Place. And I have to say, the thing that was SO AWESOME at the beginning of our cruise, i.e. seeing our ship just sitting there, waiting for us, well...now that kinda sucked. LOL! I mean, who wants to look at the Wonder again and again when it is not your turn????

It is TORTURE!!!!

Eventually we got hungry, so we decided to visit the Cactus Club Cafe which was nearby and had outdoor tables. Tyler made the comment that it was age-ist, because he said you probably got fired at 30 here (everyone was very young who was working, and VERY VERY good looking- like all the others in Vancouver). I thought that was a pretty funny observation coming from a 17 year old boy!

I had

BENGAL CHICKEN CURRY
authentic garam masala, tomatoes, cream, cauliflower, almond coconut basmati rice, naan bread and it was spicy AND yummy-

Tyler had a Cajun chicken sandwich

I think Timmy aka the food adventurer's plate is self explanatory-

Pods had
SHORT RIB SANDWICH
caramelized onions, beef jus, emmental cheese, toasted sourdough

It was all REALLY good.

It was time to head to the airport, so we headed back to where it all started at the Pan to grab a cab

Where we ran into one of Timmy's friends from our cruise!

And her family said, Don't ya just HATE having to look at that ship? LOL- yes, yes we all do. Too good of a cruise, that Disney to Alaska.

Once at the airport, we found our luggage and went through security...then interestingly, we also went through US Customs and immigration. I had no idea they did that here, so when we landed at home, we just walked off the plane and grabbed our bags. It was pretty cool, we thought, getting that out of the way now! While we waited for our flight...

Yup. Donald. A LOT. And Timmy, just once-

Until next time....see you again someday, Alaska-

Thanks for reading AGAIN and thanks ESPECIALLY for your patience!! xoxoxo

Ellen

Oh, Munich is only one hour away from me! Please get in touch if you end up going there! I would love to help with any planning and we might even be able to meet up!

Absolutely I will let you know!! I would LOVE that!! Don't worry, I will always remember where you live, my friend- one day I am coming to that Christmas market and we will be there with YOU! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter