A few last minute questions for first time at DC!

Aowens

Earning My Ears
My family and I will go to DC on 12/25 for our first visit. I have a few questions...

First, what time would be best to arrive? We will be using uber from Royal Pacific resort, so any suggestions on how long of a drive using uber?

Second, I had read somewhere that they take a complimentary picure when you arrive. Is this true? If so, I will make sure my family is picture ready when we arrive.

Also, do you wear your bathing suits to the park, and then put on wet suits when you check in?

Finally, most of my family have water shoes. I have Teva sandals. Will these work okay throughout the resort? Or do I need water shoes?

Thanks for helping me with all my questions!

I haven't been in a year, but unless things changed, you do get a complimentary picture after you check in, that you pick up on your way out. We arrived when it opened, there are lines to check in, but it's not bad. After you check in and get your photo, there are employees that talk to you in small groups and let you know where everything is, wear to get your wetsuits, where the lockers are, food etc. I usually ignore this part because we've been several times and go stake out a lounge chair instead. Essentially there are a few different areas where you can get the wet suits and masks/snorkels. You can wear water shoes, sandals, no shoes. However you're comfortable! I pretty much go barefoot except when getting food or going in the bathrooms (because, yuck). Can't answer how long it takes for uber because I don't know anything about the drive from your hotel. Let me know if I missed anything :-) Have a great time!!

We are going on 12/24.

I would arrive around opening too, so get a full day in.

From Universal I would say about 1/2 hour, depending on traffic. It is not that far.

I think they still do that free picture, but I always buy the picture package, so I cannot remember absolutely.

We wear our bathing suits under our clothes, to make getting into the wetsuit easier. We also stay in our wetsuits until we are ready to leave for the day.

We never wear water shoes either. We like our flip flops, or barefoot. Then we have sneakers or shoes to change into when leaving.

Have a great time. We enjoyed DC one time in the late summer, and 2 years ago, on Christmas Day. Both times were so much fun, we are ready for number three.

Have an awesome time.

We went the day after Thanksgiving.

We did the dolphin swim so I took the advice of a another poster and we got there around 7am

The thought was to get there early and be able to check in and get an early Dolphin Swim time. That way you could enjoy the rest of the day without having to check the time constantly.

We bought water shoes, I found them nice because the there are plenty of opportunities to scratch your feet on rocks. YMMV there.

I wore a bathing suit and a water shirt under the wet suit for the dolphin swim, but changed out into one of their vests as it got to hot for me.

As for pictures, my kids (8/10) had such a great time we bought the package with BD, so we had plenty of pics. Also there were some photogs in the aviary that got some good photos. I also picked up a Nikon underwater digital camera that worked really well especially in the Reef area.

The one thing we didn't do, which I wish we did, was Sea Venture.

They do not do the complementary photo when you arrive at the park anymore. Was told people were not picking them up and Discovery Cove couldn't justify the cost of doing them anymore.

We were there yesterday for our 7th visit. Was very disappointed to not have the photo anymore. A few more things i will make mention of. And please don't think I am bashing DC because we have been, as I said, 7 times. Since our first visit 7 years ago these are things that have changed, not that it ruined my day, just disappointed. First off, sunscreen is in big jugs around the park, not packages, the food, I use too love the food, and i find the quality downhill, my opinion and my families. The bathroom used to have a nice skin lotion, thats gone, drink selection, miss the sweet tea vodka. And lastly the picture. Will i go back? Probably, with my expectations lower.

re food: We went to SW in 2011, at that time they had a promo that included all day dining. I remember thinking that for free the food was ok, but I'd have a hard time paying full price for it.
Fast forward to Nov 2016. We had planned on not getting the food plan but the "special access" to the Blue Friday BOGO was available so I figured to give it another shot.
To me the quality was the same, just "ok". And then eating breakfast and lunch at DC had a similar thought.

I know SW company isn't financially sound, so I don't know if things will change with food service, but they really need to up their game.

re food: We went to SW in 2011, at that time they had a promo that included all day dining. I remember thinking that for free the food was ok, but I'd have a hard time paying full price for it.
Fast forward to Nov 2016. We had planned on not getting the food plan but the "special access" to the Blue Friday BOGO was available so I figured to give it another shot.
To me the quality was the same, just "ok". And then eating breakfast and lunch at DC had a similar thought.

I know SW company isn't financially sound, so I don't know if things will change with food service, but they really need to up their game.
I am glad I am not the only one. I love Seaworld and its parks. I have platinum passes. We ate at SW on Xmas Eve. And same thing, it's unfortunate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter