A Double Birthday Cruise

princessnicchia

Mouseketeer
So, although I’ve written a trip report before, this is my first PTR. I think writing it is my way of A) dealing with my need to obsessively plan and think about the trip without driving people around me crazy (said people are already tired of hearing about it) and B) organizing my thoughts, keeping myself on track, and getting feedback on my plans!

So here we go, with the players: First of all, me. I’m the Disney planner (actually, I’m the planner, period) of our family. If I let anyone else in my family plan vacations, we would never go anywhere. At. All. And I would be sad. So at least once a year, sometimes twice if things are rolling in the right direction and life is good, I get to plan the next big thing. I do enjoy everyday life, but thinking about a vacation keeps me on a nice even keel. Next, there is DH. He does not enjoy vacation planning, rarely goes on vacations with us due to work commitments as well as a dislike of crowds and heat. To him, there is no reason to ever leave our home. He likes it here. I like it here too, I just like to see other places. Then, there is DD13, my sweet teen girlie girl. She is so looking forward to this trip. She keeps saying she wants to get a tan, but her mother is not down with that plan. She has beautiful alabaster skin that does not tan, it only burns. I’ve tried to remind her of the time we went to Hawaii and she looked like a lobster for the first week…I think I’ll end up having to hold her down to spray her. Last, but not least, is DD10, who is turning 11 on the second day of our cruise. She is super excited to have her birthday on the ship (more on that in a minute) and can’t wait to get in the water. This child does not burn, only tans, but will eagerly apply sunscreen without being asked. (Lest you get the wrong idea, she’s not that compliant generally, just in this one area!)

My dad and my stepmother are also going. They travel with us often, which is good, since more often than not it’s just me and the girls. They are big travelers and cruise frequently, though this is their (and our!) first Disney Cruise. My dad was NOT impressed with the price point. He’s definitely a guy who appreciates a bargain, but I had already booked the trip when I invited them so he didn’t get a chance to try to persuade us to do another line. We actually cruised the Bahamas with them in 2012 and had a blast on an older RCCL ship---we aren’t terribly picky people and I’ve never had a bad time on a vacation in my life.

Another family is also going with us. They are good friends, and our kids are very close together in age. Their son is less than a month older than our oldest daughter, and their daughter is only four days older than my youngest daughter. Which means we will be celebrating two birthdays on this trip!

I actually started planning this trip in January of 2015. We had a lot going on at that time, but I didn’t have anything really exciting planned for 2015 yet, except a trip to Seattle to see Taylor Swift for my oldest daughter’s birthday. And while that was fun, it really didn’t meet the heat index I like to look for in my vacations. And I knew in 2016 my youngest daughter’s GOLDEN Birthday was coming up. For those who aren’t familiar with the Golden Birthday thing (like my dad, who was like “you are totally making this up”) a Golden Birthday is the birthday when your age and your date of birth coincide. So my daughter turns 11 on the 11th of April, and it’s her Golden Birthday. The girls informed me of this whole thing several years ago, and I thought, well, that’s another way to make parents part with $ from their wallets…not just a birthday but a Golden Birthday. But I obviously succumbed to this thinking because then I started thinking that I did need to make this a very special birthday. On a side note, my oldest daughter has her Golden Birthday and her Sweet Sixteen the same year…I think the heavens might have to part to keep up with her expectations!

So I started thinking about what we could do. April isn’t normally a great time to travel, as both girls have school and for my oldest daughter, school just gets harder every year. But then I really thought about it and decided that yes, this is probably the LAST year that I can take time out on the school year. High School starts next year, so this is it. The last hurrah, so to speak. I talked to DD10, and she immediately said “I want to go on a Disney Cruise!” I started looking online, and though it wasn’t cheap by any means, the price wasn’t as horrible as I had imagined either (it was pretty horrible though). On February 2nd, I bit the bullet and emailed my TA to put a deposit down on the cruise.

I let the kids know right away. I thought about keeping it a secret, but overall I am horrible about keeping secrets and also the times that I have kept secrets it hasn’t been the way I imagined it. It was more confusing than anything else. And although they are older now and it might have worked out, to me the planning and dreaming of a vacation is half the fun. Now why would I deprive my children of that?

When I let them know, I asked them how they felt about asking Grandpa and Grandma to come. I thought they might want to do a “just us” trip and wanted to give them the opportunity to say what they wanted to do. But they both were all in favor of inviting G&G---so a phone call was made and a voice message was left. A few days later my dad came back with an “all in” and they made their reservations as well.

Months passed….dreaming of the cruise….dreaming of the cruise…and then I was talking about it to my friend, and I said how much fun it would be if they came. I was half in jest (not about the fun part, but I just didn’t think she’d seriously consider it) but a few days later she asked me if I was joking or if I would mind if they came. Mind? Of course not! I love having people I like surrounding me! The more the merrier! So her family of four also made their reservations (at some point, I’m thinking Disney owes me a TA fee).

Anyhow, that’s it for now. The cruise that started over a year away is now under 75 days!

So now for the planning bits. We originally started with an inside room. I wasn’t sure if DH was even going to be able to go, because his time off wasn’t approved. I booked us a 10C, in room 2129, because that seemed big enough for us all. I would love to travel Verandah or Concierge, but at this point in my life, I’m about more trips rather than fancy trips. (Although some modicum of fancy is required, or I obviously wouldn’t be going on a Disney Cruise at all).

In August, I booked our flights, since I had a companion ticket that was going to expire. I didn’t get a great deal, but such is life. At the end of the day, I put one of the girls on the companion ticket and one on miles and paid for my ticket so overall it wasn’t too bad. We ended up flying in a day later than I had hoped because the flight out on the day I wanted they wouldn’t allow us to book seats, so I couldn’t be guaranteed that we would sit together. My ten year old is too young for that---maybe for a short flight, but the flight that we couldn’t get seats on was 6 hours! That’s a long time to be hanging with strangers for a little kid. My dad was disappointed because he had already booked the hotel and was hoping to spend the extra day with us…as it turns out it’s not a big deal. He’s going to golf the day we aren’t there and in the long run is happy as a clam with the extra day of golfing.

Fast forward to December, and DH got his time off approved. Yay! I started thinking about it, and I thought how much we would love to have a porthole…just a little bit of outside view for the small amount of time we’ll spend in the room…and sent an email to my TA. The price difference wasn’t close to what I thought it would be and so I had her change it and book us a 9C GTY room. I also canceled our Disney transfers since my dad decided to rent a car and drive us, and at the end of the day, the cost was lower than I had thought. (And yes, I should chip in on the car but I can guarantee you that my dad won’t let me.) The downside is I don’t know our room and it’s driving me crazy. I sign in everyday to see if we have a room assignment even though I know darn well it’s very unlikely to be assigned this far out.

Since we only have 2 days before the cruise, not three, and since we really only have 1 day and 2 partial days after, we had to think about what we wanted to do in Orlando. Originally, we were planning a few days at WDW and one day at US/IOA so we could see the new Harry Potter park. We haven’t been to Orlando since 2012 and we were looking forward to both. After looking at both ticket prices and our available time, I told the kids we’d have to choose just one for this trip. I love spending time at the parks, but I am go go go at the parks and I also wanted to make sure we had some downtime on our half days to swim at the hotel, and to shop and chill as needed. And buying one day at each park…whoa Nellie!! It was crazy expensive to do it that way. They chose US/IOA, which although I knew we all wanted to ride the train, still surprised me.

My dad and my stepmom are both retired military, so they went to the PX and were able to score 3 day park to park tickets for me and the girls for an awesome price. My dad doesn’t like the parks much, and my DH doesn’t like the parks much (the whole crowd thing) plus he is flying in later and leaving earlier than we are, so my dad decided to skip the parks for the first time ever. I think he’s really happy with his decision. He and DH get to have a little extra “man time” the one day they have together that we will be at the park, and the girls love my stepmother. My stepmother loves rides so she’ll have a grand time. And it’s nice to have her because she’s lots of fun and it’s always nice to have an extra set of eyes, ears and hands with both girls around.

Fast forward to January, and our online check in finally came. I emailed everyone coming with us to let us know it is the day (see how I can be annoying to others?) and checked us in. I needed to talk to DH about what he did or didn’t want to do for Port Adventures, so I didn’t book anything right away. I also wasn’t sure if he would be up for a Palo night or not. He’s not much for dressing up if he can help it. So later that week, I talked to the girls about what they wanted to do and my youngest had her heart set on a Dolphin experience. I hadn’t been planning that since we had done the dolphins on Nassau on our last trip. I was thinking we would do a beach day in Grand Cayman, but instead I ended up making her happy and booking the dolphin experience. My oldest daughter didn’t really seem to care what we ended up doing, she is just excited about the cruise. I wanted to do the kayaking and snorkeling on Cozumel, so I booked that for all of us. The girls don’t really like to snorkel, but I figured it was time to try again (we haven’t done it for many years). And there is a nice beach we can hang on in the event the snorkeling does not go well.

In talking to DH, he does not want to dress up. He wants to get away with A) as little packing as possible and B) not dressing up. So no Palo for him. And he doesn’t want to do the dolphin experience, so I cancelled him from that excursion. I ended up booking a Palo evening for a sea day for me and my stepmother, since she loves Italian and I think it would be fun. I figure I can cancel it if she says she doesn’t want to do it.

I also ordered us ladies on the trip bathing suits. My DD13 doesn’t have any that fit anymore (we don’t live in a climate that really needs bathing suits on a regular basis, so we do the whole “dig out the swimsuits and try them on thing” before a trip. My DD10 did, but she only has one piece suits and she wanted a bikini. And my suit is about 400 years old, so I went online and bought suits. I normally try to buy local, but there are not bathing suits in the stores here at this time, nor do I expect there to be anytime before we leave. My DD13 was first up—she looked on Amazon and found some really cute swimsuits immediately that were so cheap—like $12.99 and $13.59 each cheap. They won’t last forever, but they don’t have to, because by next year they won’t fit anyway. My DD10 found one that had a higher price point, but that is okay since she only needs one swimsuit. (I like to have a minimum of 2-3 swimsuits so that you aren’t trying to get into a wet swimsuit, yuck!). Being a grownup woman and wanting a “slimming swimsuit” mine was the most expensive. But I found something I liked and ordered it. DD13s have already come and look great. We are eagerly awaiting for the rest to try on. Fingers crossed!

So what I have left to plan: let’s see, I need to dig out the summer clothes and see who can wear what, and then supplement anyone’s wardrobe that doesn’t have enough warm weather gear that fits, lose that last 10 pounds (the stubborn ones), buy sunscreen and sea lice stuff, and get matching shirts for everyone for embarkation day. This is what reading the DIS does to you. I never would have even thought about getting everyone matching shirts before. Now I NEED matching shirts. The DIS fuels desires previously unknown. It will be hard to find matching shirts for everyone in our party, partly because my dad and my DH are big guys. My DH in particular takes tall sizes and although I’ve been stalking the Disney Store website, they just never seem to have anything in tall. I think I’m going to go with a theme instead, because it’s so hard to find what I want in all sizes. I am heavily leaning towards Captain America at this point. They have really cute ladies things at the Disney Store (although I keep crossing my fingers that they will go on sale) and they have the right sizes on Men’s at Old Navy. Going with a theme instead of trying to get us all exactly the same thing seems much easier. The girls were wanting to do Inside Out, but I couldn’t find a big enough shirt for DH in the Angry character.

I also have to decide what we are going to do in Key West. I am thinking renting bikes would be really fun, but I am not sure my folks are up for it. If not, maybe the trolley tour. That port seems very navigable, so I think I’ll wait until really close and decide what to do. Then we’ll also have a better picture of what the weather looks like.

It does feel weird to be going to Orlando and not going to Disneyworld. I do want to make some reservations at US/IOA, but apparently it is much mellower over there and so for the most part people either don’t or they do it really late. I have been accused of “overplanning” before so I might even leave some days open. I just like to have at least a mental plan for when everyone is tired and hungry of what is close that has food that everyone involved will like. My DD10 is a vegetarian, so she is the hardest to work with---no stopping at a taco truck for that kid.

I also want to talk to my dad and my stepmom and make sure they know they can carry on wine/beer to the boat. We’ll probably just stop for provisions on the way to the Port and can pick up what we need there. But my DH will certainly want to take beer for him, I’ll want to take my bottle of wine and my folks will want to take something too.

The other thing I really need to do is get ready for the Castaway Cay 5k. I’ve committed to running it with my stepmother and my friend, and I have to say I’m not ready. I ran a 5k at Christmas and it nearly killed me, I can’t imagine doing it in the heat. I need to start training. But it’s so gross (and cold) outside the thought of going out there and running around is not appealing. Must do it regardless…you know once you are going it’s not so bad. And I know that, it’s just that convincing myself of that when I’m inside and warm is not an easy task. I’m my own worst enemy!

Got our room # assigned yesterday! Yeehaw! I have to admit I was secretly hoping for an upgrade since we booked GTY even though I told myself not to. A girl can hope, am I right? No upgrade. But, we are literally 4 doors down from Grandma and Grandpa so that's awesome.

In other news, my youngest daughter's swimsuit came. So very cute. So did mine. Not as cute. REALLY need to start training for that 5k. That might get things moving in a cuter direction! But tomorrow is Valentine's day, and I imagine we'll have candy and treats...so I might move backwards if my willpower doesn't hold out.

Counting down the days...

Just read through all of your planning and it sounds like you have a great trip planned!

My family (parents, two younger sisters, grandma, and myself) did the Eastern Caribbean itinerary on the Fantasy in March 2014 and are doing it again this July. Traveling with a group is so much fun!

Are you participating in a fish extender group? We haven't yet but it sounds like a lot of fun.

Reading about your trip makes me so excited for you all. I hope you have a great time!

I am so over the moon excited! ZFamily5, thanks for responding. Now I know someone is reading this... :)

I am not doing Fish Extender. I kindof want to, but we are traveling really far (9 total flight hours) and trying to keep the luggage to a minimum. And DH would be not excited about the concept in general or in execution...and I want him to have a good time so he'll want to do it again!

I'm totally on the fence about participating in another FE as well. Taking all that stuff, spending all the extra money....eh.....my DH also thought it was a bit over the top on our first cruise too. On the other hand, our kids had a blast delivering the gifts and got so excited to receive them. Time will tell ;-) Are you crafty? The hardest part for me was thinking up gift ideas because I'm not crafty at all!

bcwife76, I am SO not crafty. I've gotten better, but I used to be the mom who brought Oreos to the class party. And when I try to craft it usually ends in disaster. I thought about doing some special Alaska chocolates, but then I worried that they would melt when we got there. All the other things I thought about were really expensive when I started adding it up...I think logistically I've got enough to deal with anyway. But if we do another Disney cruise I might try it. We probably won't do a "big" vacation like this until 2018, when my oldest daughter has her 16th birthday. But I think we are really thinking RCCL for her trip if she wants to do a cruise, because she is pretty excited about the rock wall, zip line, etc. This is my "baby's" trip and she is really sold on Disney still.

I understand the not wanting to do the fish extender. There's so much stress leading up to a trip between packing and getting any pets taken care of that to me it seems like it would make me more anxious.

So I went ahead and got us matching embarkation shirts (kindof). I went with the Marvel Avengers theme. As it turns out, my oldest daughter loves her shirt, my youngest daughter not so much. My DH is just happy I got the right size. I guess you can't win them all!

So we are now 19 days away from departure! (But who is counting, right?). Let's see, I think I have almost everything nailed down.

I've got our dog all scheduled for her boarding at the vet---gulp. That's almost $700. I do need to remember that for future travel---we rarely are all gone at the same time, so although it wasn't a surprise exactly, I hadn't counted on it being quite that expensive. I'd been hoarding some pennies so we'd have some extra fun money but that took it all (and then some). But that's okay because that was "extra" money above the budgeted trip costs.

I started a new job, and that kind of took trip planning to a halt. I had to spend a lot of time considering what I wanted to do, and then once I'd decided, it just takes a lot of energy to work at somewhere new so I've been coming home a little fried.

So I still don't have anything planned for Key West and I still don't have any US/IoA reservations made. I guess we really ARE going to go with the flow! My kids have been talking about Lard Lad donuts since we looked on the US website---we're going on this huge trip and we are all excited about a donut! :) Anyhow, I do need to at least have some ideas in mind for food for the park or we'll end up with a problem at some point if I don't have a "there's a vegetarian meal four doors down" in my back pocket.

And now I'm going to go try to get a run in and think about the Castaway Cay 5k....

I got a little prezzie in the mail today from our TA---a magnet for the door with a dry erase board and pen that are one piece! Yay! I had failed on the magnets because I got really busy with a new job and other life stuff and got a little derailed on planning. So now we have something for the door! Excellent! :)

We're back! I'm hoping to start a trip report this weekend....to give everyone the good, the bad, and the ugly. :) There was some of each. But mostly, it was an awesome trip and we had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter