A Disney Relocation

My husband is currently living my dream. He got a job at Disney. I am semi-enjoying not working. It has taken me quite a while to decompress after working for 35 years. I just recently put my application in to work at Disney. I could stand to lose 20 pounds so I don't look stuffed into whatever costume (uniform) they make me wear, which is another reason I've put off getting a job there. I know that sounds stupid....what can I say! LOL. Losing 20 pounds is proving to be more difficult than I anticipated (I love to eat), so I'm just going to forget about it and get a job at Disney, like I've always wanted to do.

If you get a job at Disney and work outdoors over summer, you will lose that 20 whether you like it or not. I can't wait! Last summer I lost about 25lbs from working the Jungle Cruise. :)

How far did you move?

How close to WDW are you now?

Do you go to the parks more often?

Do you stay at WDW resorts more often?

Do you have any regrets?

Just curious, thank you.

I have not, but what a great dream to have some day!

I would love to move closer to WDW, maybe at some point in my lifetime. I would miss being near NYC and broadway, but would NOT miss the snow! And being so close to WDW, i might be a little nervous it'd lose its magic since i'd be so close (though i highly doubt this would be the case for me!)

It's our goal to do it. I have wanted to move to FL for a long time and I'm slowly getting DH used to the idea. I am sick of Chicago snow and winter (although we didn't really have one this year). And I'm sick of IL BS politics and how they affect me on a day to day basis. I told DH that our current home is the last one I will buy in this state. I told him that my first choice is FL but I would be up for discussion to another state as long as it wasn't here. He said FL would be his first choice too, but he would really miss winter.

When we move we are looking more in the Tampa area. Another reason that makes moving so nice is my parents will be doing it in about a year. They are looking in the Fish Hawk, Lithia area (near Tampa).

When we do decide to move we are just going to put the house up and when it sells it sells. At that point we are going to move in with my parents and after we find jobs we will look for a house near work. We can get way more house for a lot less money then here and when I show homes to DH that's when he really gets in the mood!

And when we move I will definitely spend a lot more time going to visit my favorite place! :cool1:

I think I remember looking at the Hunter Creek area, and thought it looked nice. I would love to work as a photopass person someday, in the parks. We are planning on coming down in September to look around a bit, and enjoy the parks some too.
My husband is a liscensed plumber up here in Indianapolis, and we home school the kids, So we think it would be an easy transition. we just need to sell house and make sure we have money for annual passes.. ya know the basics :rotfl:

thanks for input

Great thread.

We recently moved from NY to NC. I was interviewing for jobs both in NC and FL. Our goal was to get out of the winter and get closer to Disney. We went with NC as the job offer came through with relo. We are only a couple hours from Hilton Head where we intend to use our DVC pts for some long weekends.

We would eventually like to get down to FL. I will be looking come this fall so I am hoping something opens up. My significant other starting working part time at the Disney store so a transition should be smooth. We no longer had any Disney stores up in upstate NY where we were any longer. :(

We moved here from TN about 15 months ago.

It was about a 13 hour drive to move.

We live about 8 miles from property. My husband works close to the MK and it takes him roughly 15-20 minutes to get to work. We can hear the end of Illuminations on clear winter nights and Wishes almost nightly.

We go to the parks several times a month.

We have a vacation at the Poly coming up! We had only previously been to WDW as resort guests once.

No regrets whatsoever. I love it here. It suits our lifestyle and we're very happy.

One thing, the job market here is kind of sucky. I would try to have a job lined up before moving.

If you get a job at Disney and work outdoors over summer, you will lose that 20 whether you like it or not. I can't wait! Last summer I lost about 25lbs from working the Jungle Cruise. :)

That's exactly what I was thinking. Best of both worlds!

The DH and I plan on selling EVERYTHING but the cars to make the move. I can sleep on the floor for a while, lol... But aside from refurnishing the house, (I can't wait to hit IKEA) REALISTICALLY, for those of you who've done it... What kind of cash do I need saved to make the move?

The apartment I'm looking at is going to cost about $1600 to get into, first months rent, and fee's, etc... Gas for the move like $500... but then there are the unknowns... Florida registration fee's, license fee's, etc. Then obtaining car insurance in Florida, is it typically due all up front? My insurance in Ohio is automatically deducted from my checking account each month. And what about renters insurance? I'm currently a home owner, so I have no clue what to expect there.

Are there any other unknowns? What am I missing? What expenses are going to pop up that I don't know about? :confused3

The DH and I plan on selling EVERYTHING but the cars to make the move. I can sleep on the floor for a while, lol... But aside from refurnishing the house, (I can't wait to hit IKEA) REALISTICALLY, for those of you who've done it... What kind of cash do I need saved to make the move?

The apartment I'm looking at is going to cost about $1600 to get into, first months rent, and fee's, etc... Gas for the move like $500... but then there are the unknowns... Florida registration fee's, license fee's, etc. Then obtaining car insurance in Florida, is it typically due all up front? My insurance in Ohio is automatically deducted from my checking account each month. And what about renters insurance? I'm currently a home owner, so I have no clue what to expect there.

Are there any other unknowns? What am I missing? What expenses are going to pop up that I don't know about? :confused3

Transferring your car registration from Ohio to Florida is expensive -- like $450. If you changed from your maiden name to your husband's last name, you will not only need a couple of pieces of identification (including your birth certificate with a raised/embossed seal), but you will also need your marriage license to show you are the person whose last name changed from A to B. Renter's insurance runs about $180 per year, which I paid in full up front. My car insurance is billed to me on a monthly basis.

Transferring your car registration from Ohio to Florida is expensive -- like $450. If you changed from your maiden name to your husband's last name, you will not only need a couple of pieces of identification (including your birth certificate with a raised/embossed seal), but you will also need your marriage license to show you are the person whose last name changed from A to B. Renter's insurance runs about $180 per year, which I paid in full up front. My car insurance is billed to me on a monthly basis.

AWESOME, THANKS DEBBIE! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter