9/16 - 9/24 Trip Dining Reviews

Mambo Junkie

DIS Veteran
)We did not spend a lot of time eating this trip, so I will post what we have done on this trip, with a couple of references to our past trip (in May). I'm fairly picky, and if DH says something is ok, it is ok or better. If he says good, be assured it is very good; it he doesn't like something, he will say he didn't care for it.

We did not do any Food and Wine food (and wine). It was hot, crowded, and to be honest, it didn't smell good. The only things that I would have considered were Africa or France, based on look and smell. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the food looked good, but didn't smell appetizing. Plus, with 100 degree heat and spilled alcohol, it was just, you know... I am extremely sensitive to smells.

Sci-Fi Dine In
- I had the Chicken Club and DH Had the Rueben - It was ok and pretty much what we expected. I've had better meals.

Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Hate to be Debbie Downer, but I did not like it at all. I did not care for any of it. The only food I enjoyed was the watermelon. Even the cheese had no flavor, as did the cookies. I'm not a chocolate fan, so I didn't try any of that. DH said it was ok. We didn't drink any alcohol, but plenty of people seemed to be enjoying themselves tremendously. By the way, we feel the same about the Wishes Dessert Party. But we tried it and now we know.

We have done the Club Villain party before and the food is fabulous, but we like that type of food, with a bit of spice.

Garden Grill Breakfast - It's buffet style and pretty much the same as the other buffets. Overall, it is pretty good, though I will say my favorite is Cape May. The one I liked the least, sorry to say, was O'Hana. The characters are cute, and I love the rotating restaurant at Garden Grill. I also love the fact that if you eat before park opening, you can finish and go downstairs and get right on Soarin, usually before park opening. We got in 5 minutes early.

Jungle Navigation at Skippers Canteen - We ate here last visit (in May) and now it is our MK go to restaurant. I had the Char Shiu Pork, and it was wonderful! Love the spices, and I had the brown rice; DH had the Sustainable Fish, and he said it was very good. For dessert we had the Coconut Bar and the Kungaloosh! and both were delightful. Not large and in my opinion just right. We have eaten here twice and have not had anything we didn't like and as I said, I'm picky.

We did the Halloween party and didn't get any candy, though we saw plenty of people with multiple overstuffed bags. We went in at 4, and it was still extremely hot. Not wishing to have a glob of melted candy at the end of the day, we bypassed the lines and by the time we felt like we'd do some trick or treating, it looked to be pretty much gone. All the trick or treat spots we came upon were unmanned. Not a big deal, though.

Yak and Yeti - I have been coming to WDW since 1972, have eaten at pretty much every restaurant there is or was, but never Y&Y until this visit. Absolutely loved it!
I had the house salad (wonderful dressing) and DH had the Wonton soup - he said it was good. I had the Crispy Honey Chicken with Chicken fried rice -loved it! and DH had the Seared Miso Salmon and he said it was very good - a rarity for him. For dessert we had the Sorbet and the Chocolate cake both very good.
As for other Landry's restaurants, we have eaten many times at Rainforest Café, most of the times lunch and sometimes breakfast, and we like it very much. The burgers are great. This trip we also ate at Landry's (if you get off I-4 at highway 535, if you go right, you go to the front of Disney Springs and all the hotels, take a left off of I-4, and Landry's is right there, not a couple of blocks from I-4). We have eaten there many times and highly recommend it.

BOG Breakfast We actually ordered the child's meal French toast (not on the adult menu). It came with a plate of pastries, very good. An excellent deal for 14.99. I was full after 1 pastry and the fruit. and I also ordered the cupcake and 2 coffees. We're not big breakfast eaters.

Tony's Town Square - to be honest, we booked it for the VIP MSEP tickets. It was good. I had the Fried Zucchini appetizer, the New York Strip and the Tiramisu - loved the zucchini, steak was good and had a great flavor, but a bit too much tenderizer, particularly in the center of the steak. Tiramisu was good. DH had the Calamari and really liked it, the Cannelloni, which he liked but said the meat they used in it tasted unusual, and of course, the chocolate cake which he said was ok. A lot of people like to dis Tony's, but overall, I enjoyed it.

Any questions, I'm happy to share.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reviews. A few spots in there that we will be going to. Glad to hear you liked Skipper's. We have reservations the night of our MVMCP. Looking forward to trying it!

It was great. We did not use a [ark ticket on our MNSSHP, opting instead to just use the party ticket. We got in around 3:45 and I had fps for Space Mtn (3:20 - 4:20), 7DMT (4:20 - 5:20) and then Splash (5:25 - 6:25). After Splash, we were able to get on Pirates of the Caribbean then we had 6:15 ADR for Skippers, so we pretty much dined while the park got cleared out. We were finished around the time the party started, so it was all great. I learned from my last MVMCP not to tie party time up with dining reservations, etc. We had gotten ADRs for the Wishes Dessert party that night (MVMCP) and that took a lot of party time away.

Yak & Yeti does sound awesome, and even Tony's sounds like it was decent. :)

I don't see myself ever going to a dessert party. I don't find getting good views of the fireworks and parades too difficult, and if I'm spending that much money, I want a full meal.

Yak & Yeti does sound awesome, and even Tony's sounds like it was decent. :)

I don't see myself ever going to a dessert party. I don't find getting good views of the fireworks and parades too difficult, and if I'm spending that much money, I want a full meal.
Yes, you're right. I figured since it was our arrival day, we would check in to the resort, head over to DHS, have lunch at Sci-Fi (at 3 pm), then we headed back to the resort after we had done everything we wanted (it wasn't crowded and everything we didn't have fps for was a walk on 10 - 20 minutes max plus it was EMH). Around 4 we headed back to the resort (storm coming on) and we thought we'd grab a snack then head to the party. It worked well, except like you said, the party was a let down (for me at least). But, last visit we didn't have great viewing spots for the fireworks, and that was my primary goal with the party anyway. Like you said, though, you can get as good or better for free. We always seem to have the good fortune any time we do a paid event (Candlelight Processional, Wishes or Star Wars dessert parties) to find ourselves behind a tree, lol.

I recall reading about a more expensive MK dessert party for viewing near the Plaza. If that's near the old Swan Boats dock, that is not a good view IMO. It's too off center and the fireworks appear at odd angles. You aren't blocked by crowds of people because you're down below so I guess that's why they think it's a great view, but I've done it for free and wouldn't choose it again.

I recall reading about a more expensive MK dessert party for viewing near the Plaza. If that's near the old Swan Boats dock, that is not a good view IMO. It's too off center and the fireworks appear at odd angles. You aren't blocked by crowds of people because you're down below so I guess that's why they think it's a great view, but I've done it for free and wouldn't choose it again.
I saw the area and while it is good (better, imo than the Tomorrowland Terrace, there are better. We did the Terrace location in 2014 at Christmas, but I did not like the desserts, it rained, and people stood in front of us so our only option for a view was to stand in the rain. I know they don't allow standing in front any more, but that was enough to sour my desire to ever do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!