50's Prime Time Cafe...disappointment

I really love the fried chicken, and of course the last 2 visits we had here I ate the fried chicken, and both times it made me sick. I think I've finally learned my lesson to stay away from the chicken, I really think it's just too greasy for me, but it's interesting to see its not just me this happens to.

50's PT is a must do for us on every trip. We ate there at the end of August and had a great time. I always share the fried chicken (all white meat) with DS14 because it is a huge portion. It was as fresh and delicious as always, although a little salty, but I have noticed that before. Sadly, the Boston Cream parfait is off the menu, which is our favorite TS dessert after LTT's ooey gooey toffee cake.

Our server was great, completely in character. Our friends' DS13 was such a "trouble maker" he spent time in the corner with everyone in the room reprimanding him. We had a blast and will definitely be back on our next trip.

50's PT is a must do for us on every trip. We ate there at the end of August and had a great time. I always share the fried chicken (all white meat) with DS14 because it is a huge portion. It was as fresh and delicious as always, although a little salty, but I have noticed that before. Sadly, the Boston Cream parfait is off the menu, which is our favorite TS dessert after LTT's ooey gooey toffee cake.

Our server was great, completely in character. Our friends' DS13 was such a "trouble maker" he spent time in the corner with everyone in the room reprimanding him. We had a blast and will definitely be back on our next trip.

You should consider yourself lucky. Our most recent experience was terribly disappointing.

We are going to try this in june, wont really bother us if they don't play along as we don't want to much..I just hope the food is good, we tried sci-fi and really liked it a few years back..

Anyone have updated experiences to share? We've done SciFi and will just go back there if 50s is still going downhill.

We ate at 50s in May and I thought it wasn't anything special. We had to wait 1 1/2 hours even though we had a reservation. Then the waitress was just an average normal waitress, nothing over the top, funny, or special. The food was average but was expensive, of course.

I witnessed a woman IRATE at the horrible treatment of her and her mother. The server embarrassed them and forced her to eat a bite of food she didn't want. She was complaining to the manager and wanted her money back. The manager apologized and said something like "That's kind of our thing here. We're so sorry you weren't aware." He gave her money back. I'm guessing this might be a very common occurrence.

Although I think if you give the hint you're up for some fun they should at least heckle you a little. That being said the servers are people too. Maybe they didn't feel well or had a bad day. Who knows. We love 50s and will continue to return.

My wife and I (at the time just engaged 2 days prior on property) went in 1999. Loved it. Server was all in, yelled at me for elbows and veggies. Went 2 years ago with kids, disappointed. Server mailed it in, wasn'the on board with concept of surroundings. There were other servers who got it, so maybe ours had a bad night/not a good fit for 50's. Back in the World in 5 weeks, not here this time, but maybe in future.

I was at 50's last Oct 2015....our server was as sweet as pie, great server....but no, she didnt play the part. We had no antics at all. Kinda disappointing to be honest with you. But again, she was a lovely server. I guess if you go there expecting antics, you might be disappointed if you dont get it. Best tip I can give you is to ask for a server who plays the part. ;)

Disappointed for you, OP, but I always secretly hope for a server there who is low key. I don't enjoy the antics, same as I couldn't be paid to go to that Dick's Last Resort place where they purposely are rude. Maybe I get my feelings hurt too easily! I go strictly for the fried chicken and PB&J milkshakes.

Sounds like the antics are alive and well - or drab and boring - as usual, depending on the server. Hope you'll give it a rest and try something great/new next time then head back over after a break - and have an awesome time!

I was there in June and we had the best time there! It was my first time there, but I thought our waiter was great! He was very funny! And our food was great! The pot pie is really good if you haven't tried it. And the Pb&J milkshake is to die for! So sorry about your experience! :( it's one of our favorites now!

We went, the food was OK. The setting is cool, but we were disappointed not to get antics. But then, DH looks like the kind of person who wouldn't put up with antics. I blame him over the servers!

Let me just say that we have enjoyed 50's on every previous trip to WDW. The entertaining waitstaff made it a very fun experience, and the food was delicious.

Things have changed at 50's. I read about it on some threads, and I hoped that these experiences were unusual... The waiters have really toned it down, almost as if they are afraid of getting into trouble for joking around with customers. I guess some people were offended by the antics of the waiters, and now the entertainment is essentially gone.

We gave our waitress lots of clues that we were "game" and ready to play along...we came right out and said that my DH is a big tattletale and started misbehaving. They replaced the disgusting greens with corn on the cob so that people would eat their whole meal rather than hiding the greens or getting chastised by the waiter. She told us in a monotone voice that we needed to behave...She was no fun at all, no matter what we did to engage her. She basically ignored us. The other tables were just as bad with customers frowning at the lack of fun.

The food was bad. DD and I got sick on the fried chicken.

Epic fail.

We won't return there on our next trip.

:(
I'm sorry,that stinks! We didn't enjoy our experience there a few years back. The food was fine but we ordered as we were taking our seats & our meals were @ the table in just seconds. That was the waiters fault, just wanting to make $. I get it, it's your living,but it's not a fast food or a cheap restaurant. Needless to say,we haven't been back & it's not important to us to go back after that.

I was there in November for the first time in many years. I sooooo looked forward to the fun. We were stuffed in a little table way in back in
the corner elbow to elbow with people next to us. Our waiter did nothing. Barely cracked a smile..quick an efficient and get them outta there
seemed the goal. The pot roast was blacked around the edges..he said it was supposed to be like that. ..I ate what I could. I would go there
again if nothing more interesting..but Epcot is just a boat ride away as is the Boardwalk. I would only go there if it was the food I was
looking for. Certainly was not the "experience" restaurant of old. I did not see any other fun happening either...although to be fair we were stuck in a corner...

We were there in feb, and it was a great experience. I have had the fried chicken there twice and both times it was sone of the best I have ever had.

Haha. My friend was there last week and said it was just as good!!

FWIW, it was delicious in April when we were last there. :)
We had a disappointing experience there two summers ago. Our chicken was pink, which I noticed and quickly sent back. Had I not, we could have gotten sick. We also found the wait staff to be less than enthusiastic. People make dreams in WDW, and we tend to have high expectations, especially when past experiences were so wonderful. I agree with others that it may be hit or miss. You may get a fun waiter. You may get undercooked chicken. You may get food poisoning. It happens. If I were to look back on all of our past meals at 50's, I remember mostly fun times. I am debating returning in 2018. I guess we will see.

I would never make a decision based on one review. In fact, I ignored all of the negative 50's reviews on a different thread and went on my recent trip based on my past experiences there over the last 11 years. Ultimately, it is up to oneself to decide based on whatever criteria is chosen.

All I did was give an honest report of my experience. I was under the impression that the point of a dining review is to do just that.

Take it or leave it.

Your choice.

I wish I had listened to the overwhelming negative reviews of both 50's Prime Time and Hollywood & Vine. I didn't pay attention to them, and I paid the price. My choice. My accountability. My right to share my experience.

Period.
Well said.

I can't remember where I saw it, but earlier today there was a thread where people were glad the antics have been calmed down. I guess this is one where Disney truly can't win.
That's a shame. Those antics are what made us return so many times. I guess we need to think before booking lunch there next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter