50's Prime Time Cafe...disappointment

Summertinkerbell

Mouseketeer
Let me just say that we have enjoyed 50's on every previous trip to WDW. The entertaining waitstaff made it a very fun experience, and the food was delicious.

Things have changed at 50's. I read about it on some threads, and I hoped that these experiences were unusual... The waiters have really toned it down, almost as if they are afraid of getting into trouble for joking around with customers. I guess some people were offended by the antics of the waiters, and now the entertainment is essentially gone.

We gave our waitress lots of clues that we were "game" and ready to play along...we came right out and said that my DH is a big tattletale and started misbehaving. They replaced the disgusting greens with corn on the cob so that people would eat their whole meal rather than hiding the greens or getting chastised by the waiter. She told us in a monotone voice that we needed to behave...She was no fun at all, no matter what we did to engage her. She basically ignored us. The other tables were just as bad with customers frowning at the lack of fun.

The food was bad. DD and I got sick on the fried chicken.

Epic fail.

We won't return there on our next trip.

:(

I see this is the 2nd thread about ya'll getting sick at Disney restaurants recently. I sincerely hope the rest of your Disney dining experiences were better than these.

Every other restaurant was awesome...'Ohana breakfast, Cinderella castle breakfast, Cali Grill dinner, Via Napoli dinner, Crystal Palace dinner, 1900 Park Fare dinner, Harbour House lunch, Contempo Café breakfast and lunches.

I just hate getting sick from something I've eaten especially when I was eating smaller portions than most people.

Ughh so sorry you had a bad experience. I am really looking forward to 50's on my upcoming trip and really hope it is not a bad experience. I have not been there in years.. it was always so much fun. I also saw they changed the dessert menu- no more Smores?!!!! Whyyyyyyy?!!!! Yes I hate change lol.

Very much doubt you got sick from eating fried chicken. Maybe your digestive systems couldn't handle the grease and that gave you gastro symptoms, doesn't mean the food was substandard.

There is no way to know if it was food poisoning; or if they didn't change the oil for frying often enough; or if my stomach couldn't handle the grease. It is interesting though that I have eaten the same meal at 50's four times before and never had a problem...

My biggest issue with 50's is that they went from being a highly energetic and entertaining restaurant to a boring place to eat.

I totally agree. Our first visit last month was nothing like what I had read about. I had warned my family about the antics but we got none of that. Our waiter was a dud who was only interested in rolling over his tables as quickly as possible and I felt the food was extremely overpriced for the quality and quantity. The fried chicken at Fort Wilderness was much better and less than half the price. The only thing we enjoyed was the Dad's brownie sundae. Huge and delicious.

We had a great time there last week, with cousin Eric. He was awesome. Pretty sure my 3 yr old believed he really was our cousin because he took right to him and Eric was great with him. We were happy not to get a cranky old lady yelling at us about our elbows on the table, but cousin Eric joking, telling us stories, and including his three tables in our little room in the fun. Food was great too...may have been my favorite meal.

Oh I did not finish my green beans. I love green beans and these were not great. So cousin Eric grabs my plate and a clean fork and asks if I need help finishing them. I thought for sure he was going to eat them, but he tried to feed them to me...kids thought it was hilarious. I still got dessert tho

We had a great time there last week, with cousin Eric. He was awesome. Pretty sure my 3 yr old believed he really was our cousin because he took right to him and Eric was great with him. We were happy not to get a cranky old lady yelling at us about our elbows on the table, but cousin Eric joking, telling us stories, and including his three tables in our little room in the fun. Food was great too...may have been my favorite meal.

Oh I did not finish my green beans. I love green beans and these were not great. So cousin Eric grabs my plate and a clean fork and asks if I need help finishing them. I thought for sure he was going to eat them, but he tried to feed them to me...kids thought it was hilarious. I still got dessert tho

It looks like we were there around the same time. You should consider yourself very fortunate. My waitress was not the only dud in the restaurant. The tables in my vicinity and on the way to the bathroom were as disappointed as we were.

I'm happy for you and your family, and I'm glad that Cousin Eric is continuing the tradition of 50's. I wish the other wait staff cared enough to spread the joyful entertainment along with him.

Thats too bad. We find there ervice to be a hit or a miss there, we have never had very bad service there thought. Our food has always been amazing, that is too bad about the chicken. I had the salmon there in May and it was incredible. You just never know.

It looks like we were there around the same time. You should consider yourself very fortunate. My waitress was not the only dud in the restaurant. The tables in my vicinity and on the way to the bathroom were as disappointed as we were.

I'm happy for you and your family, and I'm glad that Cousin Eric is continuing the tradition of 50's. I wish the other wait staff cared enough to spread the joyful entertainment along with him.

I did feel fortunate! I was kind of worried and put out when we walked in still soaked from being rained on all day. I went to the hostess area inside and asked for a band aid for my 3 yr old that skinned his knee. Not a big deal but a bandaid would make the boo boo all better! The young guy was very friendly and said sure and then asked the lady there where the first aid kit was. She was pretty snotty when she informed me that I would have to go to first aid to get it...in the pouring rain. We were off to a rough start but Eric did turn things around. We were there Tuesday the 28th...my bday!

Sorry to hear this.
We were there in the end of June and had a great lunch. The waitress was fun and the fried chix was delicious.

I did feel fortunate! I was kind of worried and put out when we walked in still soaked from being rained on all day. I went to the hostess area inside and asked for a band aid for my 3 yr old that skinned his knee. Not a big deal but a bandaid would make the boo boo all better! The young guy was very friendly and said sure and then asked the lady there where the first aid kit was. She was pretty snotty when she informed me that I would have to go to first aid to get it...in the pouring rain. We were off to a rough start but Eric did turn things around. We were there Tuesday the 28th...my bday!

Happy belated birthday! We were there on the 26th. Small world.

This makes me sad. I love 50s. We are going on our upcoming trip and I hope it's good. I'll never forget the time I went in the late 90s and some host just wandering around spoon fed me my greens. It was hilarious.
Everyone's opinion is subjective. You may go and love it. We have yet to have a bad experience there. Go and enjoy, you can't base your feelings off of one review.

Everyone's opinion is subjective. You may go and love it. We have yet to have a bad experience there. Go and enjoy, you can't base your feelings off of one review.

You are right. Unfortunately a friend of mine went today and she said the same though. We will still go, I don't think I could get a reservation at Sci-fi this late in the game.

You are right. Unfortunately a friend of mine went today and she said the same though. We will still go, I don't think I could get a reservation at Sci-fi this late in the game.
Haha. My friend was there last week and said it was just as good!!

FWIW, it was delicious in April when we were last there. :)

Let me just say that we have enjoyed 50's on every previous trip to WDW. The entertaining waitstaff made it a very fun experience, and the food was delicious.

Things have changed at 50's. I read about it on some threads, and I hoped that these experiences were unusual... The waiters have really toned it down, almost as if they are afraid of getting into trouble for joking around with customers. I guess some people were offended by the antics of the waiters, and now the entertainment is essentially gone.

We gave our waitress lots of clues that we were "game" and ready to play along...we came right out and said that my DH is a big tattletale and started misbehaving. They replaced the disgusting greens with corn on the cob so that people would eat their whole meal rather than hiding the greens or getting chastised by the waiter. She told us in a monotone voice that we needed to behave...She was no fun at all, no matter what we did to engage her. She basically ignored us. The other tables were just as bad with customers frowning at the lack of fun.

The food was bad. DD and I got sick on the fried chicken.

Epic fail.

We won't return there on our next trip.

:(
This is so disheartening to know that you actually attempted to get things rolling but was still met with rejection or cold responses. I am so sorry. :guilty:

I would never make a decision based on one review. In fact, I ignored all of the negative 50's reviews on a different thread and went on my recent trip based on my past experiences there over the last 11 years. Ultimately, it is up to oneself to decide based on whatever criteria is chosen.

All I did was give an honest report of my experience. I was under the impression that the point of a dining review is to do just that.

Take it or leave it.

Your choice.

I wish I had listened to the overwhelming negative reviews of both 50's Prime Time and Hollywood & Vine. I didn't pay attention to them, and I paid the price. My choice. My accountability. My right to share my experience.

Period.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter