• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

$49 processing fee to rent a condo???

jjjmranch

Mouseketeer
So I've been searching for a condo for sometime in May. Found a potentially good one in Windsor Hills using VRBO. Checked on the rates and found not only the cleaning fee and the 13% tax (expected) but a $49 processing fee. When I emailed the owner (who has 4 condos in WH) I asked what it was for. He said for paperwork and processing my credit card. Wow. I've rented from other owners and never had a "processing fee" added to my bill. Sorry, that just blew it for me. There are plenty other condos out there w/o that added on to the bill!

I know exactly how you feel! I have been looking at all sorts of different rental properties and some have those "processing" fees and others do not. I am also amazed at the price differences of some properties in the same resort!:confused3

I think this is the new way to make up for the economy. Where as when looking at rentals at condos, houses, resorts or hotels there seems to be a common result not all rates are as good as they look once you see the final amount with fees and cleaning fees and deposits etc. Hotels are even on the bandwagon charging people to park at their hotel, not even just the valet parking. I wonder where they think you will park if you did not part at the hotel you are staying at. Its a sneaky way to stay in the green and show low rates to advertise. Some will fall for it others will not and will go elsewhere. I am always looking at the final amount due not just the rate per night.

As a timeshare owner, I just wanted to add that many resorts (including the resort where we own) charge the owner a fee if they let another party use their unit. It's called a "Guest Certificate" and they charge the owner of the unit if they let someone else stay in the unit. I have seen these fees range from $49 all the way up to $150. There was one year we used a week at my brother-in-law's timeshare and his resort charged him a processing fee for having us stay there. RCI also charges fees to the owner if they let someone else use their unit. Perhaps some people who are renting out their timeshare units are just looking to be reimbursed for this fee that is being charged to them by the resort. I don't know for sure if that's what's happening in your case, but just wanted to let you know that resorts do charge that fee so the people you are looking to rent from might not be trying to rip you off - they may just want to be reimbursed for the guest fee.

Hope this helps.

As a timeshare owner, I just wanted to add that many resorts (including the resort where we own) charge the owner a fee if they let another party use their unit. It's called a "Guest Certificate" and they charge the owner of the unit if they let someone else stay in the unit. I have seen these fees range from $49 all the way up to $150. There was one year we used a week at my brother-in-law's timeshare and his resort charged him a processing fee for having us stay there. RCI also charges fees to the owner if they let someone else use their unit. Perhaps some people who are renting out their timeshare units are just looking to be reimbursed for this fee that is being charged to them by the resort. I don't know for sure if that's what's happening in your case, but just wanted to let you know that resorts do charge that fee so the people you are looking to rent from might not be trying to rip you off - they may just want to be reimbursed for the guest fee.

Hope this helps.

(this isn't directed at anyone specifically just in general)

This post makes total sense to me. But as someone who has rented thru vrbo.com, skyauction.com, management companies and directly from resorts/hotels, I really wish owners/management would just include the stupid fee in the rate! lol

Then I could compare apples to apples especially when it's for the same resort. All kinds of places do it and I just don't understand it. Some of the DD resorts do this. Like $12.50 a day "resort fee". What? If it's a daily expense and you are charging daily, shouldn't it just be included in the price of the hotel? I know it's just psychological.....I mean, if they include it in the rate, the rate goes up. I get that....but at least it's easy then to look at the bottom line.

And some I know do that and call it "processing fee" to reimburse themselves for the visa/mc % fee.......it's illegal according to their merchant contract with visa/mc to charge a fee. ILLEGAL! And it's done everywhere. I used to be a Visa coordinator for IBM credit union....they can't do it. But they get around it by calling it something else. It ticks me off cause it's the cost of doing business. If you don't want to pay the fee, don't offer visa/mc. My parents tried to do the same thing when they owned a restaurant. They put up a sign saying that there would be a fee for using your cc if you didn't purchase at least $5. I laughed cause I totally get it, but I made my parents take the sign down and stop doing it. If someone reports you, you can get fined and I didn't want them fined.

If you need more money to cover your costs, then charge more. Don't look like you're being competitive with a lower rate, looking like you're giving me a great deal and then charge a "fee" for stuff. I won't rent from owners like that.

Ok. Rant over. :p

(this isn't directed at anyone specifically just in general)

This post makes total sense to me. But as someone who has rented thru vrbo.com, skyauction.com, management companies and directly from resorts/hotels, I really wish owners/management would just include the stupid fee in the rate! lol

Then I could compare apples to apples especially when it's for the same resort. All kinds of places do it and I just don't understand it. Some of the DD resorts do this. Like $12.50 a day "resort fee". What? If it's a daily expense and you are charging daily, shouldn't it just be included in the price of the hotel? I know it's just psychological.....I mean, if they include it in the rate, the rate goes up. I get that....but at least it's easy then to look at the bottom line.

And some I know do that and call it "processing fee" to reimburse themselves for the visa/mc % fee.......it's illegal according to their merchant contract with visa/mc to charge a fee. ILLEGAL! And it's done everywhere. I used to be a Visa coordinator for IBM credit union....they can't do it. But they get around it by calling it something else. It ticks me off cause it's the cost of doing business. If you don't want to pay the fee, don't offer visa/mc. My parents tried to do the same thing when they owned a restaurant. They put up a sign saying that there would be a fee for using your cc if you didn't purchase at least $5. I laughed cause I totally get it, but I made my parents take the sign down and stop doing it. If someone reports you, you can get fined and I didn't want them fined.

If you need more money to cover your costs, then charge more. Don't look like you're being competitive with a lower rate, looking like you're giving me a great deal and then charge a "fee" for stuff. I won't rent from owners like that.

Ok. Rant over. :p

Exactly. It's the same thing with a "resort fee". The Swan and Dolphin do this, I'm not sure of the details, but it's something like $10/day, for things like 2 bottles of water, gym use, and a USA Today newspaper. Please. Increase the rate, and add or toss those "extras"!

I'd rather pay more, and say, "ooh, we'll get 2 bottles of water and a newspaper free!"

I don't mind paying the extra fee to pay for our WH villa by credit card, as I have cancellation insurance and also get 1% cash back on my purchase. I really never felt safe when I use to pay for the villa by cheque. If you really like the villa and the price is good, it is a small price to pay for peace of mind!

When I ask for a quote, I always ask for a quote in US dollars that includes all taxes, fees, and pool/spa heat (we rent pool homes). I want a bottom line number. If they then choose to break it down for me as well, that is fine. If I am searching for a place I ALWAYS click on the properties that indicate that their prices include taxes and fees and they are more likely to get my business. It takes a lot of time to search for properties, I don't have time to do a bunch of math while I am searching.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter