30th trip to Walt Disney World

BobWerner

A Disneyworld vet - I love that place!
Trip summary:
  • Was given room 5337 at Pop Century. Nice room in the back of the building near transportation, elevators and food.
  • Weather was perfect everyday except Tuesday - had a "tropical type" storm move through which included a lot of lightning strikes and heavy rain. There was even a small wading pool at the stairs to the back entrance to Pop.
  • Food: no matter what Pete said (sorry Pete) Yak and Yeti isn't the second worse place to eat in Walt Disney World. I found the food excellent and would definitely go back again. Crystal Palace, Teppan Edo, Mama Melrose, 1900 Park Fare, 50s Prime Time Cafe, Akershus, Yak and Yeti were all very good. I had zero issues at any of the restaurants.
  • Cast Members - all the cast members I encountered, except one, were in a great mood, very happy and very friendly. Some went out of their way and changed their routes to wish me a "happy birthday."
  • Free stuff at WDW? YES! I was given a free sample of a raspberry slush in Epcot. The cast member had a tray of small cups and was giving them out as "it's hot out, here's something refreshing for you." I was given a free Mickey Pretzel for my "30th visit" button. It's the very first time I've ever gotten anything free at the world.
  • Dole Whips - I know this is controversial, but I love them and had three. For some reason they taste better every time I have one.
  • Epcot was a complete ZOO on Wednesday for the first day of F&WF. I couldn't believe all the people.
  • I was really surprised at the number of school age children at the parks the entire week. I always thought most, if not all schools started back after Labor Day. Even the next Monday there were a lot.
  • My room was clean and fresh everyday of my visit. The Baymax wakeup calls were fun.
  • The characters: All the meet and greats are really fun. The only issue is the Kylo Ren meet. It's very awkward. You can't shake hands, hug, or otherwise "interact" with him. He basically says "stand here" and you get a picture and leave. Maybe this one needs to change to someone else?
  • The jawas are cute, but weren't trading when I went to visit them. Has this ended? Maybe they were getting too many requests? There was a dancing Jawa named handlebars that I'm hoping someone posts on youtube. It was crazy funny.
  • The talking Mickey in the Magic Kingdom is just awesome. While the responses may be limited, you can interact if you ask the right questions.
  • Wait times, even with all the people were fantastic. The longest ones were for Mine Train and the Frozen ride in Epcot. Everything else was running around 40 minutes or less.
Cons:
  • Innoventions east and west in Epcot. There's nothing in these anymore except the character spot and a paint demonstration area. Please do something with these spots!
  • The new reimagined Test Track. I liked the old one - this one seems a little more jerky.
  • Why is the line for the Frozen ride in Epcot always over 2 hours long? And why does it break down almost everyday? I went to Epcot at 8pm and Frozen was broken. It finally opened around 8:30 with a 75 minute wait time posted for standby. My wait? 10 - 15 minutes. Are they posting real times anymore?
  • The one grumpy cast member at the monorail station.
  • Disney Studios (was known as MGM studios). With all the construction going on, this is now a 1/2 day park. There's only 5 or 6 rides/attractions open.
Summary:
  • I'm already planning trip 31. It will be after Star Wars land opens I'm heading back. I have to fly the Falcon.
  • They've really improved the Orlando Airport. Wow, is it nice.
  • Thanks again to everyone here that offered suggestions, information, input and good wishes. I hope I can do the same.

Sounds like a good trip! I was wondering what the crowds have been like there this month since last year was crazy. We went the week of labor day last year expecting low crowds and it was PACKED. But this year I've heard they are expecting lower crowds due to several factors including the Zika virus. Sounds like Food and Wine is still as popular as ever though!

Also:
Can you imagine me doing the "I'm a little tea cup" dance at Whispering canyon cafe? It's a youtube moment that may show up someday.
And lastly the heat/humidity. I was taking anywhere from three to four showers a day and even including pool time it was still crazy hot and humid. I don't remember ever sweating that much. Thank goodness I had my Brita Bottle with me and drank plenty of water along with powerade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter