$302 for ONE ticket to see U2

Sigh. I love live music and see about two shows a month and go yearly to various music festivals in Chicago, Louisiana, California, Wisconsin, Ohio and wherever else gets a terrific lineup.

I REALLY like music.
So the presale opens up today for U2 at soldier field and tickets are $280. $302 with tax or whatever. Geez that usually pays for an entire weekend of music. I'm not sure I can continue to support my habit while paying down debt.

It better be a terrific show or I'll be annoyed.

Honestly I don't know what types of bands you see but $300 for an A lister is pretty usual. U 2 is not my kind of band but have paid $300 or more plenty of times.

I didn't go at all in 2016 but I usually live at concerts, live music and festivals. I'd like to say that high but I've been to worse. I will say, it makes disney look cheap if your a music lover.

I didn't go at all in 2016 but I usually live at concerts, live music and festivals. I'd like to say that high but I've been to worse. I will say, it makes disney look cheap if your a music lover.

I agree. I compare the value of Park Admission that way as well, thinking of what a great value Disney is for a whole day compared to concerts for a few hours. (not that I want them to raise prices.) Everybody has their passions, and they wouldn't charge it if people did not go.

For that price, I would get a job in security or as an usher - get paid and be a part of it too.

I know nothing about music, and this might be too late for this specific instance (in which case I hope it's a great concert!) but maybe this will help next time you're evaluating a ticket... Personally at that price while simultaneously paying down debt I'd want 2 things out of the ticket:

1) a once in a lifetime opportunity or at least a once every few years opportunity. Are they likely to roll through town again in a couple years when you can more easily afford it?

2) it needs to be worth it to YOU. That's one thing my Disney trips have taught me. Others may think what I pay is crazy, or that saving up money for an adult trip to Disney is crazy, but to ME it's worth it. So maybe think in music festival terms- what else could you do with $300? And then compare that to the concert ticket you're about to buy.

Ughh, I just convinced my husband we should go to this. I don't think I can swallow that much per ticket though. We are looking at Pittsburgh, I dont think the tickets are for sale yet. I guess I will need to think about it really hard.

I feel your pain. I love music and concerts as well, and haven't been to a show in over two years because I just can't afford to.

I don't think I could pay that for anyone. The most I have paid is just over $200 for Biily Joel/Elton John. I was very relieved to find that Billy's tickets this year are max $139 (but with fees, it will probably still be $700 for 4 of us).

I was checking prices yesterday and the ones for NJ aren't bad. $35, $70, $155 or $280.

I recall wanting to see Barbara Streisand in Vegas took one look at the price thought there was a computer error. A virus resulting in the adding of many zeros.

I am glad that top sporting events like Wimbledon here in the UK ring fench prices and you enter a lottery to win to buy tickets. Which are then affordable to most.

In my late teen's/early 20's, I went to concerts all the time. Loved them. I saw so many great artists like Eric Clapton, Elton John, Rolling Stones, Journey, Madonna, Grateful Dead, Rod Stewart, Bruce Springsteen (favorite), Heart, etc...this list goes on and on. I paid for those tickets from part time jobs not making a lot money. Ticket prices have gotten so out of hand. I wouldn't have been able to go at the prices they're charging now.

I don't think I could pay that for anyone. The most I have paid is just over $200 for Biily Joel/Elton John. I was very relieved to find that Billy's tickets this year are max $139 (but with fees, it will probably still be $700 for 4 of us).

I think that is why I was surprised - Billy Joel is half the cost as is Tom Petty this year. Sting this year was cheap too.
Four days of Lollapalooza is under $400.
Usually I buy two tickets to every show and take a friend - not this one - I'm going alone! So that is how I have justified it in my head - the dollar amount is the same as what I would have spent on two tickets. I'll just have to amuse myself!!

I think that is why I was surprised - Billy Joel is half the cost as is Tom Petty this year. Sting this year was cheap too.
Usually I buy two tickets to every show and take a friend - not this one - I'm going alone! So that is how I have justified it in my head - the dollar amount is the same as what I would have spent on two tickets. I'll just have to amuse myself!!
If it is a big show with big crowds, I would wait and see if you can get the tickets cheaper on craigslist a couple of days before the show. If you can not get it cheaper you may get better seats (last time I got third row seats to a big show). This works very well if you are only looking for 1 ticket.

PS The best free music annual festival in USA, IMHO is the French Quarter Festival in NOLA.

Ah yes, I just bought Tom Petty also, and yes, I think his were $139 also (before all the sickening fees).

The most I've ever paid for a single concert ticket is $150, and that was front row, with free dinner before it in the vip club.

Ugh, they're coming to DC and I wanted to get tickets for the four of us if I could before they sold out and if I didn't have to sell my firstborn. Seems that won't be happening.

Music is my thing and I go to a lot of concerts. I've paid $150 for a two-day concert, but that was my highest. 2 days of 311 Day in Vegas in 2010. I feel like now - 2015 forward most of the regular concerts I go to are around $75 - $100! Ugh. It's getting crazy.

That said - I'm a fan of music experiences and I'll usually pay if I can swing it. I'm going on my first 311 Cruise in March!

I've seen U2 and I'm not a huge fan anymore but I loved them in the Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum/ZooTV days. But, I can see why their die-hard fans would pay this much. It just gets harder to see bands as they age. (Sad, I know). Metallica anounced they will only play 50 dates this year. Those are going to be some hard tickets to get.

I am blessed to live in Colorado near Red Rocks amphitheater. I can't count the number of truly awesome shows I've seen pretty inexpensively in the General Admission section. I'm so spoiled by the outdoor awesomeness of it, that massive shows inside the huge venues have lost their appeal. It's too bad that so many artists have to charge those prices to their fans.

I would pay that (for decent seats) if they were coming anywhere near me!
Around 20 years ago they came to our local arena and tickets were $50 for general admission standing room only (around the stage). At the time I thought that was a crazy price and you didn't get a seat. I have been kicking myself ever since.
This is terrible but they are not as young as they used to be and I wonder how many more times they will make it to our area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter