3-D shows causing vertigo?

Harambe

I miss Tapestry of Dreams!
Anyone else experience this? I always did Bug's Life, PhilharMagic and Muppets without any trouble, but this trip, the 3-D caused some motion sickness/vertigo. Don't know if you've ever had full-blown vertigo but it can knock a person out for a few days! After my first hint of it, I took motion sickness pills every morning before I headed to the parks, and it seemed to keep it at bay.

DH thinks it is just our age (yeah, young at heart and all, but old in the inner ear area!), since he had trouble doing the big coasters this trip, too.

Any medical people confirm that we can become less tolerant of rides/attractions as me get older????

I'm in my 50's and suffer from motion sickness and have never had any trouble with the 3-D movies.

It's not 3D for me. I can't ride anything that gives you the sensation of gliding. It gives me vertigo for a short time. Not fun. I can't ride Soarin' any more. Most of the movies in the WS do the same thing to a lesser degree. I don't know if it's age related or not, but I do know it gets worse as I age.

Aren't all the 3D shows sitting down? Would closing your eyes help?

It's probably a side effect of getting older unfortunately. I was always slightly prone to motion sickness but now I am really sensitive (40s)

What did you take for it? I find that Dramamine (the meclizine version) knocks me out so bad.

I'm a PT with some experience in vestibular rehab. Yes, our balance system declines with age or your reflexes may diminish due to various reasons. You can sharpen some of the reflexes with eye exercises. Maybe look some up on you tube! Taking Dramamine masks the symptoms but doesn't truly treat it.

Vertigo (BPPV) feels like spinning to most people. Can definitely make you nauseous!

I had my first (and worst) bout of vertigo at the age of 50. I don't have trouble with Soar'in, Muppets or Philharmagic but I avoid Star Tours and Mission Space. I haven't done Teacups since I was 12 and my sister spun the heck out of me at Disneyland :crazy2:.
Now I can "feel" when it might be coming on and closing my eyes during a movie helps, so does getting outside in fresh air.

What did you take for it? I find that Dramamine (the meclizine version) knocks me out so bad.

I buy the CVS or Walgreen brand of non-drowsy meclizine for the plane ride although I haven't really gotten air sick for years. More of a placebo for me, but I feel better if I take it. Since I had it with me, I just thought I'd take one in the morning each day. I have had vertigo and it is just THE worst. The meclizine helps with that, too.

Yes - the 3D shows that I did were all sitting down (and I have never done Star Tours since I know that would kill me). I tried taking off the glasses, but that made it worse, and closing my eyes makes we panic more. If I feel like I might be getting the vertigo, it helps to try to focus on something - if it doesn't start spinning then I know I am okay and can stop the panicky feeling that I will get vertigo. For those that get it bad, you know how scary it is. You really feel like you are having a stroke. I was staring hard at the two old guys up in the opera box during Muppets!!! haha.

I will say, I used to love Soarin' but the new one freaked me out a little. It is the very first scene heading up that Matterhorn - for that I squeezed the eyes tight, but was able to peek a bit until about 5 minutes in, then I was fine. Tough to get old . . .

I buy the CVS or Walgreen brand of non-drowsy meclizine for the plane ride although I haven't really gotten air sick for years. More of a placebo for me, but I feel better if I take it. Since I had it with me, I just thought I'd take one in the morning each day. I have had vertigo and it is just THE worst. The meclizine helps with that, too.

Yes - the 3D shows that I did were all sitting down (and I have never done Star Tours since I know that would kill me). I tried taking off the glasses, but that made it worse, and closing my eyes makes we panic more. If I feel like I might be getting the vertigo, it helps to try to focus on something - if it doesn't start spinning then I know I am okay and can stop the panicky feeling that I will get vertigo. For those that get it bad, you know how scary it is. You really feel like you are having a stroke. I was staring hard at the two old guys up in the opera box during Muppets!!! haha.

I will say, I used to love Soarin' but the new one freaked me out a little. It is the very first scene heading up that Matterhorn - for that I squeezed the eyes tight, but was able to peek a bit until about 5 minutes in, then I was fine. Tough to get old . . .

Huh I didn't even know they made non-drowsy meclizine, I will have to check that out! It's definitely something that is better to prevent if possible.

My motion sickness/vertigo has gotten much worse since our last trip. I could hardly do Star Tours before but I will definitely avoid it now. I think I'm going to avoid Soarin too, which is fine, never been a favorite. Hopefully I'll be ok in the 3-D movies where the seat is stationary!

Yes, there is a difference between the Dramamine original formula and the less drowsy formula. It is Dimenhydrinate vs. Meclizine Hcl. When I was in the e.r. the first time I had vertigo, meclizine was the recommended drug. I find it does help. I used it as a preventative at HS because I worried about RnRC triggering it (it didn't). You can also try Bonine which has the meclizine. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter